Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sand in Window Tracks

GZDongles

Feb 23, 2020
Michigan
Last night I stayed at a cabin on Lake Michigan. It was dark when I arrived, and I didn't realize that I was parked on the top of a 75 foot sandy bluff. It was extremely windy all night, and when I woke up, the car had been blasted by snowy sand. There was an accumulation of sand around all the window frames, on the windshield, even on all the sills when I eventually opened the doors.

I cleared off everything I could before opening any doors, but I was not able to get all of it. Now I can hear a horrible grinding as the sand scratches the bottom of each window as it rolls down when I get into the car.

What is the best way to remove the sand? I am going to get as much as possible with a vacuum at a car wash, but I'm guessing that won't get all of it, especially the stuff that's deep in the track. Assuming there are some small scratches at the base of the window after I clean it up, what are the best way to remove those? Is there anywhere else I should be checking for accumulated sand? I know the fender liners are designed and attached poorly so there might be sand behind them or in the rear compartment as well.

KenC

Sep 4, 2018
Maine
Very unfortunate. In addition to vacuuming, I’d blast it with the most powerful leaf blower you have, because there are nooks and crannies your vacuum probably won’t reach.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC