Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sandy Munro interviews Elon Musk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm halfway through it ... fascinating.. you have to hang in there but it gives some insights into how cutting edge the Tesla "project" really is.

Ahhh, no Spoilers!!! :eek::D

I just was able to see the first couple of minutes and now I need to be taxi for my children, so looking forward see them talking/interacting. Somehow both of them are kind of weird guys, the best kind of weirdness IMHO! :)

• Funny
Reactions: ElRey and Adopado
pls do give spoilers. a summary would be great.

the first few minutes were Sandy saying some cars were great some had problems and what is the inconsistency? Elon truthfully said the best cars are first ones in low volume, or after the line is up to speed,but the ramping of the line is where the problems come in.

I had to stop after that.

Elon was quite moderate (kind) with his pointing out that Sandy was off the mark with his speculation about the presumed huge number of lines of code involved in the newest FSD beta. i.e. Elon stated that having the largest number of lines was not an appropriate metric to rate impressively good coding! 2 points scored for removing a line of code and 1 point for adding another line of code was how he put it.

Reactions: Rustybkts
Elon was quite moderate (kind) with his pointing out that Sandy was off the mark with his speculation about the presumed huge number of lines of code involved in the newest FSD beta. i.e. Elon stated that having the largest number of lines was not an appropriate metric to rate impressively good coding! 2 points scored for removing a line of code and 1 point for adding another line of code was how he put it.

I had a chuckle when I heard that. I wrote a fair bit of code that runs on more than a dozen microcontrollers that are scattered around the house, measuring, logging and presenting data on temperature, humidity, CO2 concentration, power and energy use, etc. My constant goal was getting things to work as intended with the minimum lines of code, it became a personal challenge to find the lowest code overhead solution for any task. A friend tried something similar with a couple of Arduinos, and his code base is hundreds of times bigger than mine for the same level of functionality, plus it uses loads of SOUP in the libraries he's used. My code is all written by me, no SOUP, and nothing that was in anyway compiler dependent, as I wrote it all in assembly language. I copied the Toyota topological model, described in the book they gave away with the first Prius, and used lots of dedicated "black boxes", that could be 100% tested for every possible I/O state. Made debugging during development a great deal easier, and the whole system has been running continuously for over 5 years, never powered down, never glitched, always just works.

Reactions: Adopado
I didn't get why Sandy was so strong on blaming the people responsible for inconsistent road markings for making the job of FSD too difficult. There's no hope that we can all depend on people painting the white lines properly 100%. Elon very sensibly explained that FSD had to work reliably and without harming anybody whether the lines were right or not!

I didn't get why Sandy was so strong on blaming the people responsible for inconsistent road markings for making the job of FSD too difficult. There's no hope that we can all depend on people painting the white lines properly 100%. Elon very sensibly explained that FSD had to work reliably and without harming anybody whether the lines were right or not!

Might explain why there seems to be a difference between the way FSD reportedly works in the USA and the way it doesn't work here. Road markings on some roads around here are a bit like unicorns, never sure if they have ever existed . . .

pls do give spoilers. a summary would be great.

the first few minutes were Sandy saying some cars were great some had problems and what is the inconsistency? Elon truthfully said the best cars are first ones in low volume, or after the line is up to speed,but the ramping of the line is where the problems come in.

I had to stop after that.

I felt that was odd too. I mean how long and how many model 3's have been made. I would have thought by now they would have got it down pat.. If I were sandy I would have asked about the PDI process..

If I were sandy I would have asked about the PDI process..

Indeed!

Elon described making improvements during the rapid ramping up of manufacturing numbers phase (like at present) as being like trying to change the wheel on a bus whilst it's doing 80mph. There was a real sense of the dynamic nature of the whole process and how much learning was going on within the organisation. I had absolutely no impression that Tesla was resting on its laurels ... thinking that everything was hunky dory and that they have in any way a "finished" product. (The problem for customers is that they (we) want a taste of the wonderful potential of the new but they (we) also want a neatly tied up "finished" product without uncertainty. Unfortunately these are somewhat contradictory wants.)

Reactions: bhzmark