Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sandy Munro Model Y & 3 series really helped me understand.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I would like to point out a fellow YouTuber series that is absolutely fantastic in explaining the current state of Tesla's car builds in the Y and 3. Munro Live

Well explained and nothing held back, just Munro's expert view on almost every part of the cars. Personally I could instantly relate to the issues I have with the paint but from then on very much realised how far ahead these cars are from the other manufacturers. Then as you go along you realise even though the Y is built on 70% Model 3 parts the innovation in a car only a year after the M3 is staggering. Change here, change there and for all the small cosmetic things when a complex machine is taken apart you realise the incredible amount of work and forward thinking is unrivalled even from the 2012 model S today.

Tip your cashier everyone!

I await Munro to put a percentage on the "same parts" figure. In watching his videos; I think the % might be much lower. Almost no same body panels, brakes different, headliner and it's parts different, wiring different, etc. I bet the count is more like 50% or less.

It is too bad that he and his team are not experts in software. He said on one video that they don't look at the software.

It is good to get an independent look at Tesla engineering of hardware. Tesla clearly listened to his review of the early Model 3.

I await Munro to put a percentage on the "same parts" figure. In watching his videos; I think the % might be much lower. Almost no same body panels, brakes different, headliner and it's parts different, wiring different, etc. I bet the count is more like 50% or less.

It is too bad that he and his team are not experts in software. He said on one video that they don't look at the software.

It is good to get an independent look at Tesla engineering of hardware. Tesla clearly listened to his review of the early Model 3.

Yes it would be cool if someone could do a behind the scenes look at the software in a similar way taking it apart, in depth line of drawing board to implementation. Its a huge percentage of what makes the cars unique and spans all of the fleet.

Reactions: Carolina Karl
Since Tesla makes running changes ( not model year change over) I'll bet many of the things Sandy has found different between the cars isn't different any more.. Although big changes like the Heat Pump haven't made it to the Model 3 yet, most of them will over time.

Actually Musk said on 3rd Row Seat that product updates across platforms is not a high priority. A good example is the redesign of the rear trunk area. The model 3 has over a 100 parts. Very costly. But the Model Y has one. He was asked if that was going to move over to the Model 3. He said probably not. Once you have it engineered and set up the systems to make it; it is not cost effective in time and resources to change it. Better to spend those resources on NEW things.

My take-away is don't expect new engineering to go over to other models until a major upgrade or new product.

• Informative
Reactions: Mrcarcrazy
Actually Musk said on 3rd Row Seat that product updates across platforms is not a high priority. A good example is the redesign of the rear trunk area. The model 3 has over a 100 parts. Very costly. But the Model Y has one. He was asked if that was going to move over to the Model 3. He said probably not. Once you have it engineered and set up the systems to make it; it is not cost effective in time and resources to change it. Better to spend those resources on NEW things.

My take-away is don't expect new engineering to go over to other models until a major upgrade or new product.

can you link to what Musk said on 3rd Row Seat , I'm curious to when in 2021?

One thing on the brakes - i don't think they are actually different, he was comparing the non-performance Model 3 brake to the Performance Model Y. Any pretty much all the 'differences' he pointed out on the PY brake were the same as on the P3.

Similar to kbecks13, it sure looked like he was looking at a Performance Model Y vs a Non-Performance Model 3. I like his analysis, but I think he would do well to understand the options and their intent. It's like saying wow, this car has bigger brakes than the other car, so it's a step in the right direction. He seems to like the big red Brembos. So do I