Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sandy Munro talks about the teardown of the Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like Morono was comparing a Tesla Model 3 that uses a rear motor to other similar cars that use front motors.

Imagine that you need more structure when you have to design a rear wheel drive plus rear motor, like a 911 Porsche than a front engine front drive like a Nissan.

Elon also need to error on the side of making well constructed cars. One weld to few could lead to a disaster, while 10 welds too much really cause no problem

True, but those other car manufacturers don't have the same end goal.

Other manufacturers #1 endgame goal = predominantly expense/profit.
Tesla #1 endgame goal = safety.

That's why you can't compare Teslas to other manufactures in simple fashion.

• Disagree
Reactions: 0ptions
Morono says.....Oh there are just too many rivets and things in the doors...…..they are unnecessary …….they make the car heavier......

Really?

model-s-strange-incident-2-1-e1546627364436.jpg

Tesla Model S survives 'one in a million' traffic accident virtually unscathed

• Funny
Reactions: AZRI11 and Gavyne
True, but those other car manufacturers don't have the same end goal.

Other manufacturers #1 endgame goal = predominantly expense/profit.
Tesla #1 endgame goal = safety.

That's why you can't compare Teslas to other manufactures in simple fashion.

If Tesla's goal isn't to sell cars and make money they are doomed. Investment follows sustained growth and profitability.
I understand the vision thing but I respect Munro's assessment. If this car can be made cheaper and lighter with the same safety that is a good thing.
I am interested in the model 3 for it's performance and technical aspects, not Elon's vision. I don't care about Elon's vision and as a gearhead I have many other cars and trucks that I love for various reasons. As a mechanic I have seen it all with vehicle repairs.
And as the car becomes more popular you are going to see thousands of people just like me. Which is a good thing for Tesla.

If Tesla's goal isn't to sell cars and make money they are doomed. Investment follows sustained growth and profitability.
I understand the vision thing but I respect Munro's assessment. If this car can be made cheaper and lighter with the same safety that is a good thing.
I am interested in the model 3 for it's performance and technical aspects, not Elon's vision. I don't care about Elon's vision and as a gearhead I have many other cars and trucks that I love for various reasons. As a mechanic I have seen it all with vehicle repairs.
And as the car becomes more popular you are going to see thousands of people just like me. Which is a good thing for Tesla.

Oh stop it.

Why does everyone do the same thing? No one really reads what I type. Please READ...Don't think - READ.

I spoke that Tesla's #1 goal is safety. Period

Number 1 goal is safety. I didn't say that their ONLY goal is safety. What is their #2 and #3 and #4 goal? I don't know. Elon just said that they are looking for the safest car on the road....1st. That was the first thing he said on March 31'st 2016 and at ever quarterly business meeting.

Come on people.

Oh stop it.

Why does everyone do the same thing? No one really reads what I type. Please READ...Don't think - READ.

I spoke that Tesla's #1 goal is safety. Period

Number 1 goal is safety. I didn't say that their ONLY goal is safety. What is their #2 and #3 and #4 goal? I don't know. Elon just said that they are looking for the safest car on the road....1st. That was the first thing he said on March 31'st 2016 and at ever quarterly business meeting.

Come on people.

All makers are trying to build safe cars. But that fact does not stop profit. And profit is why investment will come.
I do not believe for a second that Tesla exists to keep us safe. Performance and speed are glorious things.
And new technology is fascinating.

Reactions: 0ptions
Has it been stated anywhere this is the safest car of the road?

There are plenty of articles describing the outstanding results from the model 3 government crash test.

"NHTSA has released its probability of injury stats for the Tesla Model 3 and it achieved the lowest probabilities of any vehicle ever tested by the agency – arguably making the electric car the safest based on the standard."

https://electrek.co/2018/10/07/tesla-model-3-lowest-probability-of-injury-nhtsa/

Model 3 achieves the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA

There are plenty of articles describing the outstanding results from the model 3 government crash test.

"NHTSA has released its probability of injury stats for the Tesla Model 3 and it achieved the lowest probabilities of any vehicle ever tested by the agency – arguably making the electric car the safest based on the standard."

Tesla Model 3 achieves lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA

Model 3 achieves the lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA

I realize that but where has it been listed as by far the safest car on the road?

• Funny
Reactions: Brando

https://electrek.co/2018/10/07/tesla-model-3-lowest-probability-of-injury-nhtsa/

Tesla Model 3 achieves lowest probability of injury of any vehicle ever tested by NHTSA

You need to look at further listings. While I find the Model 3 appealing it is nowhere to be found.
But then I have a Pinto that I drive to car shows now and then!

57 models earn IIHS awards for 2019
These are the safest cars for 2019
These 30 vehicles are the safest 2019 models, car-safety group IIHS says

All makers are trying to build safe cars. But that fact does not stop profit. And profit is why investment will come.
I do not believe for a second that Tesla exists to keep us safe. Performance and speed are glorious things.
And new technology is fascinating.

I remind you again to READ. READ. READ.

Teslas 1'st priority concerning their cars is Safety. Its not their ONLY priority however its the 1st one.

The reason Tesla exists is their mission statement which is to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy. TESLA is more than cars.

However on the car manufacturing side - their #1 priority is safety. ITS NOT THEIR ONLY PRIORITY. PERIOD.

Did I say that they exist to keep us safe? NO.. READ READ READ.

I think Munro missed explaining why it matters that the M3 chassis is overbuilt and too heavy. So what? There’s plenty of power at all speeds thanks to a “magic” motor. Performance efficiency is excellent despite the extra weight. Balance is superb.

So the frame is structurally sound without relying on the battery pack for stiffness. Why does Munro believe this is a bad thing? If a Sherman tank had M3 performance specs, no one would complain. If a car with M3 performance specs can be built like a Sherman tank, I fail to see the design issue. It’s msrketing material.

• Love
Reactions: Brando and EinSV
I realize that but where has it been listed as by far the safest car on the road?

Sunday, October 14, 2018
Tesla's Model 3 has been named the safest car ever made.

The Model 3 achieved a perfect 5-star rating in every category on the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's crash tests.

Tesla's Model S and X cars hold second and third place, making the company the highest rated car company by the agency.

Tesla launches the Model X: safest SUV ever [Picture Gallery]

Tesla Model X officially becomes highest safety rated SUV (by significant margin) with 5-star rating in every safety category

Model S crash backs up ‘World’s safest Car” claims

Do you want any more?

READ READ READ

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Brando and AZRI11

Yeah...an article written by the people that make the car.
Quote something else.
Safety is the last thing on my mind, sorry but it is. Why would I race? Why do anything with risk?
I hate to say this but I'm here for the tech and performance. I really don't consider sustainable energy either. The dissection of the Model 3 was a good thing. It will shed pounds in China, and that is also good. And it will still be as safe. Look at modern truck frames as an example. Lighter, stiffer and safer.
Gearheads are coming. People like me. And it's a good thing.
Can you imagine racing a Model 3 on a frozen lake? I can. I have raced cars and motorcycles on frozen lakes and it is a blast.

Yeah...an article written by the people that make the car.
Quote something else.
Safety is the last thing on my mind, sorry but it is. Why would I race? Why do anything with risk?
I hate to say this but I'm here for the tech and performance. I really don't consider sustainable energy either. The dissection of the Model 3 was a good thing. It will shed pounds in China, and that is also good. And it will still be as safe. Look at modern truck frames as an example. Lighter, stiffer and safer.
Gearheads are coming. People like me. And it's a good thing.
Can you imagine racing a Model 3 on a frozen lake? I can. I have raced cars and motorcycles on frozen lakes and it is a blast.

READ READ READ....

Those articles aren't written by TESLA. Did you even read any of the 5 that you asked for?

Did you look at ANY of them? You asked where it was listed as the safest car...and there you have it. Its listed at the NHTSA.

This conversation is NOT about what YOU consider as most important. Its about what TESLA's priorities are and how they oppose what Morono listed.

Do you even own a Tesla?

Beside EV
READ READ READ....

Those articles aren't written by TESLA.

Did you look at ANY of them? You asked where it was listed as the safest car...and there you have it. Its listed at the NHTSA.

This conversation is NOT about what YOU consider as most important. Its about what TESLA's priorities are.

Do you even own a Tesla?[/QUOTE
READ READ READ....

Those articles aren't written by TESLA. Did you even read any of the 5 that you asked for?

This conversation is NOT about what YOU consider as most important. Its about what TESLA's priorities are.

Do you even own a Tesla?

Quote something else besides tesla and elektrek or whatever they are.
I will buy a Model 3 after the snow is gone. The dual motor P version. Hopefully some of the problems are sorted by then.
This conversation is about Munro and his assessment. Not about how safe you think anything is.

Beside EV

Quote something else besides tesla and elektrek or whatever they are.
I will buy a Model 3 after the snow is gone. The dual motor P version. Hopefully some of the problems are sorted by then.
This conversation is about Munro and his assessment. Not about how safe you think anything is.

You are really an interesting person. You are all over the map with your comments.

All of those articles point to the NSHTAs report in that THEY listed Tesla as the safest car. NSHTA is the USA's ultimate evaluator of safety. They are the owners of the statement that Teslas are the safest cars.

I own a dual motor P version plus. Called a P3D+. There aren't ANY problems with mine at all.

This conversation is about the poor job Morono did in his backwards assessment of the Model 3 by not taking into consideration Tesla's number one ( not the only ) focus in their cars which is safety.

Period. Do you understand now?

Tesla again claims higher safety rating than NTHSA gives
Tesla Model 3 earns 'Superior' front crash prevention rating by IIHS in safety test
Tesla Model 3 named as vehicle with 'lowest probability of injury' by the NHTSA
#1, #2, #3 — Tesla Model 3, S, & X = USA's Safest Cars & Top Selling Electric Cars | CleanTechnica
Tesla Model 3 = Safest Car Ever Tested By NHTSA. How Did Tesla Pull It Off? | CleanTechnica
Tesla Model S Is Safest Car Ever Tested, Sets New Safety Records (Tesla Releases More Info) | CleanTechnica
Tesla Model 3 Gets 5-Star Safety Rating From NHTSA
NHTSA gives 2018 Tesla Model 3 perfect marks for crash safety

Last edited:
I'd like to hear a rebuttal on the weight issue too. Munro mentions OptiStruct software by Altair many times but it's hard to believe Tesla didn't do a proper finite-element analysis after three completed car programs. Tesla themselves have shared animations from such simulations for crash testing.

I can see Musk fire an engineer who over-did the welds on the car but mistakes such as not accounting for the battery pack as part of the body design is a big enough deal that would let go a VP, or director level manager.

I would like to think there's a reason for the body over engineering (and that could mean safety) that Munro isn't seeing but an answer that we may need to hear from Tesla.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2019-01-04 20.10.04.png
    Screenshot 2019-01-04 20.10.04.png
    1 MB · Views: 78
You are really an interesting person. You are all over the map with your comments.

All of those articles point to the NSHTAs report in that THEY listed Tesla as the safest car. NSHTA is the USA's ultimate evaluator of safety. They are the owners of the statement that Teslas are the safest cars.

I own a dual motor P version plus. Called a P3D+. There aren't ANY problems with mine at all.

This conversation is about the poor job Morono did in his backwards assessment of the Model 3 by not taking into consideration Tesla's number one ( not the only ) focus in their cars which is safety.

Period. Do you understand now?

Tesla should tell someone then. Not mentioned anywhere in any mainstream mags.
10 Safest Cars You Can Buy for 2019
https://www.nydailynews.com/autos/n...top-safety-pick-awards-iihs-article-1.3685871

Whatever. I think he did a great job. Even 2 people who work for him bought Model 3's.
There are some issues with cold weather that Canadians are dealing with. I will assume these will be solved quickly. Cold weather range excluded of course but there is no way around that.
I've already accepted the imitations this car presents. I have 9 other vehicles so I will be able to get around them.