Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sanity Check on Electricity Bill

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Do you guys all mining bitcoins in your home, or what?
I own a 3k sqft house with several desktops running 24/7.
All lights replaced with LED last year.
gas range, electric dryer.
12k miles/year with my tesla.
Here's my utility bill.

Attachments

• Messages Image(1423617351).png
    Messages Image(1423617351).png
    27.5 KB · Views: 82
  • Funny
Reactions: Rogue one
How difficult is this to install with the huge wires used going to the 14-50?

Install was easy and straight forward. The display has 4 thin wire connections. Magnetic ring goes around either one of the two load lines - but purchase the display that comes with a clamping inductive ring for a couple bucks more. This will make it much easier to add to an existing 220v line. You need to connect 4 thin wires (~18g) to the display. No need to mess with the 6g supply lines, other than to slide in the binding post. JUST TRIPLE CHECK THAT POWER IS OFF!! Seriously get a voltage sensor like these if you don't already have one: Link: http://a.co/2bBPgrh

We have time of use rates in Toronto so I only charge during non-peak times which is $0.065. When I bought the Tesla I changed the entire home to LED bulbs and challenged my entire family to be more conscious of their energy usage (simple things like turning of lights, TVs and computers when not in use. Result is that my electric bills are between $10-$20 higher than before I had the Tesla. I used to spend about $400 a month on gas.

We have time of use rates in Toronto so I only charge during non-peak times which is $0.065. When I bought the Tesla I changed the entire home to LED bulbs and challenged my entire family to be more conscious of their energy usage (simple things like turning of lights, TVs and computers when not in use. Result is that my electric bills are between $10-$20 higher than before I had the Tesla. I used to spend about $400 a month on gas.

After recent rate drop, it’s much better
I used to spend at least 50 a month on charging, now it’s reduced to 30 a month

Install was easy and straight forward. The display has 4 thin wire connections. Magnetic ring goes around either one of the two load lines - but purchase the display that comes with a clamping inductive ring for a couple bucks more. This will make it much easier to add to an existing 220v line. You need to connect 4 thin wires (~18g) to the display. No need to mess with the 6g supply lines, other than to slide in the binding post. JUST TRIPLE CHECK THAT POWER IS OFF!! Seriously get a voltage sensor like these if you don't already have one: Link: http://a.co/2bBPgrh
Can you shoot a pic of ur install (the wire side)

Do you guys all mining bitcoins in your home, or what?
I own a 3k sqft house with several desktops running 24/7.
All lights replaced with LED last year.
gas range, electric dryer.
12k miles/year with my tesla.
Here's my utility bill.
Desktop idling do not use much power so you can discount them all. All you lights are LEDs so pretty much discount them too. Unless you wash and dry your clothes 2x a day or what not, your dryer will will not impact you electric use. And you are not in expensive electricity CA. So yes your power looks about right.

Pic attached
Looks about right to me.

Charging on 110V is less efficient that charging on 220V. So that is why 01/2018 was higher than 02/2018. It also looks like you are using 20KWh more per day, and typically that is how much you would use to charge the car if you are using it in wintery MA. So everything looks correct in terms of power usage. Price wise, it might be you going into higher tiers or what not.

Last four months of bills:
Month Amount kWh kWh / Day Comment
11/17 $450.65 1,693 56.4 No EV charging
12/17 $446.70 1,678 62.1 No EV charging
01/18 $753.52 2,785 79.6 First full month of Model S - charging via 110v 15a circuit
02/18 $694.54 2,491 77.8 Second full month of Model S - charging via 220v 50a circuit

Rates:
-Total: 0.27605 / kWh
-Supply (NRG Retail Solutions): 0.16900 / kWh
-Delivery (Eversource): 0.10705 / kWh

Some context is needed:
-Located in suburb outside Boston, MA
-Provider is Eversource
-House is around 4,000 Sqft of finished space
-Rate of usage for past 12 months has varied from 56 - 62 kWh/Day in the winter and 75 - 80 kWh/Day in the summer due to AC
-Natural gas forced Hot Water / Radiant heating
-Three bathrooms have electric floor heating
-Three computers running
-1/2 of ceiling lights are LED other half are old school
-Electric Dryer
-Gas range
-Double electric ovens (not heavily used)

I'm in a very similar situation to yours. Same provider, same general area but slightly smaller house and no gas. My bill looks very similar to yours as well, but one major difference is my electrical rate is significantly lower. My supply is directly from Eversource and costs me 0.12888 / kWh and delivery is somehow only at 0.046 / kWh (no idea why it dropped so much lately for me, it used to be around 0.1). You do have to remember that January was pretty cold in MA, and your 3 bedrooms with electric floor heat probably ended up eating significantly more energy then your car does. I have 7 mini-splits in my house that were heating most of my house in January and after I saw my bill for 3204 kW during that month, I turned them all off and turned on oil/water heat everywhere. In February my consumption dropped to 1901 kW (which is still nuts, but that's pretty normal for my house, I've been trying to trace down what's consuming so much energy for years now with no luck).

I'd love some input on my electricity bill. Based upon other numbers I've seen - it appears extremely high. I'm not even sure where to start on fixing, but figured determining if it is indeed a problem might be a good first step. I've found a new supplier for the electric which should reduce our rate from 0.17 to 0.10 per kWh, but it feels like the amount of electric being used is oddly high. I'd love any and all opinions. Thanks!

Last four months of bills:
Month Amount kWh kWh / Day Comment
11/17 $450.65 1,693 56.4 No EV charging
12/17 $446.70 1,678 62.1 No EV charging
01/18 $753.52 2,785 79.6 First full month of Model S - charging via 110v 15a circuit
02/18 $694.54 2,491 77.8 Second full month of Model S - charging via 220v 50a circuit

Rates:
-Total: 0.27605 / kWh
-Supply (NRG Retail Solutions): 0.16900 / kWh
-Delivery (Eversource): 0.10705 / kWh

Some context is needed:
-Located in suburb outside Boston, MA
-Provider is Eversource
-House is around 4,000 Sqft of finished space
-Rate of usage for past 12 months has varied from 56 - 62 kWh/Day in the winter and 75 - 80 kWh/Day in the summer due to AC
-Natural gas forced Hot Water / Radiant heating
-Three bathrooms have electric floor heating
-Three computers running
-1/2 of ceiling lights are LED other half are old school
-Electric Dryer
-Gas range
-Double electric ovens (not heavily used)

WOW! Note to self. Never move to Massachusetts. You will go broke paying for electricity! We don't have supply and delivery rates as separate line items here. Just one at about .10 / kWh.

You should compute the actual amount of energy you used just for the car. Your mileage and WH/m over the period in question should give you a good idea of how much energy the car used
If that doesn’t justify the seemingly very high cost rise, then you’re using the energy somewhere else
Even at .27 kWh it seems to imply you drive a lot of miles?
At about half the cost of your energy, I estimate my annual cost for 11k miles at $400-500

How are you paying 13c\Kw in Orange County?