Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sanity check - Winter wheels/tires for MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ok thanks for the tire links but are any of those better than blizzak?
Better in what way? Tire Rack has tested thousands of tires and Tire Rack's customers have reviewed the tires.

Tire manufacturers design tires to maximize certain performance parameters, sometimes at odds with other performance characteristics. The trick is to come up with a tire tread compound and tread design that performs very well, even performing excellently in the performance areas that buyers consider most important. I.e. one tire might have better grip on dry pavement versus wet pavement but be quieter or noisier than a different tire design.

The performance areas that Tire Rack scores include: Wet Performance, Dry Performance, Winter / Snow Performance, Comfort Performance, Treadwear Performance. Each major category breaks down into sub categories, i.e. Winter / Snow Performance includes light snow traction, deep snow traction, ice traction. Only you know the type of winter road conditions you are likely to encounter.

In the Snow and Ice driving category, arguably the most important performance category for a winter tire, the scores are all very good to excellent (on a scale of 1 to 10.)

At one time Blizzak tires may have been rated higher than other winter tires. Over time tire manufacturers have updated their designs and use newer rubber compounds so that today's tires are better than the tires of even a few years ago.

Last edited:
Better in what way? Tire Rack has tested thousands of tires and Tire Rack's customers have reviewed the tires.

Tire manufacturers design tires to maximize certain performance parameters, sometimes at odds with other performance characteristics. The trick is to come up with a tire tread compound and tread design that performs very well, even performing excellently in the performance areas that buyers consider most important. I.e. one tire might have better grip on dry pavement versus wet pavement but be quieter or noisier than a different tire design.

The performance areas that Tire Rack scores include: Wet Performance, Dry Performance, Winter / Snow Performance, Comfort Performance, Treadwear Performance. Each major category breaks down into sub categories, i.e. Winter / Snow Performance includes light snow traction, deep snow traction, ice traction. Only you know the type of winter road conditions you are likely to encounter.

In the Snow and Ice driving category, arguably the most important performance category for a winter tire, the scores are all very good to excellent (on a scale of 1 to 10.)

At one time Blizzak tires may have been rated higher than other winter tires. Over time tire manufacturers have updated their designs and use newer rubber compounds so that today's tires are better than the tires of even a few years ago.
That’s a lot of words that didn’t answer my question.. you should run for office

That’s a lot of words that didn’t answer my question.. you should run for office
Bottom line is that the information is out there; on Tirerack.com web site, on Youtube.com. You have to put in the time to research winter tire options for the Tesla Model Y so you can become an informed consumer and make the best decision regarding tires for your Model Y according to your needs and preferences.

No one can advise you on a better winter tire than Blizzak. It may be that for your specific winter driving needs the Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 winter tire is the best option. (Note that the Blizzak LM-32 winter tire is only available, suitable for the Model Y in size 255/55R-18 and would require that you purchase 18" wheels, tire pressure monitors system (TPMS) sensors at additional expense.) Best of luck with whatever winter tire you decide to purchase.

My personal situation is that I have no need to drive in the snow. In the event of snow I don't drive my Model Y until at least a day after the snow has stopped and the main roads, local streets have been cleared and treated. I don't have winter tires but I will replace the OE Continental Procontact RX all season tires that came with my 2020 Long Range Model Y with a better performing all-season tire when I need to buy tires. Right now the leading candidates are the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 Plus Ultra High Performance All Season tire and the Vredestein Quatrac Pro Grand Touring All Season tire, for the 19" Gemini wheels in size 255/45R-19.

Last edited:
Can someone point me to what tires are considered better than blizzak
It depends on how much snow/ice you expect to be driving on, and whether you prioritize dry/wet acceleration over snow/ice stopping distance.

For me, my single and only priority is stopping on ice and snow, Conti Viking 7 is slightly better than Blizzak, stops a couple feet quicker. I can drive carefully on dry/ wet and stay in control. Once you lose grip on ice, you're mostly just along for the ride, just hope you miss everything.

Look at the comparisons for Winter performance here. https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=250&tab=WinterResultCharts

Honestly though, last week when I ordered my tires, the central warehouse every shop buys from had exactly 2 sets left in stock, Conti Viking 7 and Blizzaks. The Blizzaks were $500 more. While on the phone with my shop, the guy said OK, let me try to reserve the Contis for you, we might miss them, then I'll try to get the Blizzaks. I was lucky to get the Contis, but I would be happy with either one. The differences are really slight between the brands.

If you want better dry/wet ride quality, maybe the Blizzaks are better, IDK. I know the Contis are really squishy and squirrelly in corners and under hard accel, but all winter tires are to some extent.

Reactions: gt2690b
It depends on how much snow/ice you expect to be driving on, and whether you prioritize dry/wet acceleration over snow/ice stopping distance.

For me, my single and only priority is stopping on ice and snow, Conti Viking 7 is slightly better than Blizzak, stops a couple feet quicker. I can drive carefully on dry/ wet and stay in control. Once you lose grip on ice, you're mostly just along for the ride, just hope you miss everything.

Look at the comparisons for Winter performance here. https://m.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=250&tab=WinterResultCharts

Honestly though, last week when I ordered my tires, the central warehouse every shop buys from had exactly 2 sets left in stock, Conti Viking 7 and Blizzaks. The Blizzaks were $500 more. While on the phone with my shop, the guy said OK, let me try to reserve the Contis for you, we might miss them, then I'll try to get the Blizzaks. I was lucky to get the Contis, but I would be happy with either one. The differences are really slight between the brands.

If you want better dry/wet ride quality, maybe the Blizzaks are better, IDK. I know the Contis are really squishy and squirrelly in corners and under hard accel, but all winter tires are to some extent.
thanks so much! when i say "better" i too am talking about ice performance (without resorting to studs) ... if you cant make it up an icy road you may be doomed here in the rocky mountains

Reactions: OxBrew
Again one of the worse winter tires you can buy!!
You got ripped off!!
First off, cheaper than X-Ice and Blizzaks. Secondly, we don't get much snow so the softer compound is not what I'm looking for. Lastly, I didn't get ripped off because I know what I need and want. I also pop them on and off when I need. I don't run them for a season either. It might not work for you but that's not my problem!

Reactions: gt2690b
LOL the top 7 are all rated equally as 1st place. That first blizzak has a negative feature, several others do not.
Hah, my tires are in the 4th tier with the con "increased fuel usage" due to higher drag - crap. I should have went with the VikingContact 7's or the Hakkapeliittas. That's what I get with only going by Consumer Report's ratings.

As for Blizzaks - I had a set many years ago and they worked great. Then again, every winter tire I've had has performed great in winter (two sets of blizzaks, michilin x-ice 3's).