Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sanity check - Winter wheels/tires for MYP

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Though I still haven't received my VIN, I don't want to chance being stuck in sudden cold weather/snow with my upcoming MYP. I have purchased the following wheels and tires and want to make sure I didn't mess anything up. I'll buy the TPMS from the Service Center directly and have the tires mounted/balanced by Discount Tire.

Wheels: Replika R241 (Black) Wheels 19" x 9.5" 5/114.3 45 64.10 from here

Tires: VREDESTEIN WINTRAC PRO 255/45R19 from here

Haven't heard of the winter tires before, but Consumer Reports ranks them pretty highly.

Let me know if the tire/wheel combo is wrong or if I'll have trouble installing them on the MYP.

Those are the Gemini wheel specs but if you look around here, a number of folks suggest the 19x8.5 / 5/114.3 40 64.1 version of the R241's instead. Not only are the wheels a bit lighter, the OEM 19" tires fit fine but the narrower rim is less likely to be damaged by curbs.
Yeah I'd prefer the 8.5's, but they were all sold out. Figured the 9.5's would be fine. I'm okay with a little bit of curb rash, though I will be sad when I inevitably do it on the Uberturbines.

Though I still haven't received my VIN, I don't want to chance being stuck in sudden cold weather/snow with my upcoming MYP. I have purchased the following wheels and tires and want to make sure I didn't mess anything up. I'll buy the TPMS from the Service Center directly and have the tires mounted/balanced by Discount Tire.

Wheels: Replika R241 (Black) Wheels 19" x 9.5" 5/114.3 45 64.10 from here

Tires: VREDESTEIN WINTRAC PRO 255/45R19 from here

Haven't heard of the winter tires before, but Consumer Reports ranks them pretty highly.

Let me know if the tire/wheel combo is wrong or if I'll have trouble installing them on the MYP.
It'll be fine! I run R241's 19x9.5 and Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4's. Currently my regular setup but I'm going to move them to my winter setup and get something else for next spring.
E39DCCF3-F540-4D54-AD35-AE7228853639.jpeg
C9757E51-0018-49F7-B54B-4C476D2D75C6.jpeg

You bought one of the worse winter tires you can buy that’s expensive. I had those on my Audi, they were recommended by the tire installer, he probably makes more profit on those hence the recommendation, and they sucked made my Audi seem like it’s not a Quattro!!

You bought one of the worse winter tires you can buy that’s expensive. I had those on my Audi, they were recommended by the tire installer, he probably makes more profit on those hence the recommendation, and they sucked made my Audi seem like it’s not a Quattro!!
It’s not worth half of your money.
Your mistake was not buying Blizzak tires FTMFW!!

Is everyone here really an amateur when it comes to snow???
Who are you talking to?

The Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 winter tire is available in 255/45-18. This will fit the Tesla Model Y; requires 18" wheels:

For other wheel sizes the Blizzak LM-32 winter tire is not currently available for the Model Y

19" Gemini Wheels, size 255/45-19 (Not available)
20" Induction Wheels, size 255/40-20 (Not available)
21" Uberturbine Wheels, size 255/35-21 (rear) and 275/35-21 (rear), (Not available)

The Bridgestone Blizzak LM-32 winter tire is available in 255/45-18. This will fit the Tesla Model Y; requires 18" wheels:

For other wheel sizes the Blizzak LM-32 winter tire is not currently available for the Model Y

19" Gemini Wheels, size 255/45-19 (Not available)
20" Induction Wheels, size 255/40-20 (Not available)
21" Uberturbine Wheels, size 255/35-21 (rear) and 275/35-21 (rear), (Not available)
Should be 255/55-18.

I think you might be right. He's on like three other threads telling everyone how crappy their tires are unless they are Blizzak (which I do agree is a great winter tire)
Not trying to start an argument, but many newer compounds and designs have better snow and ice stopping performance than Blizzak. I'm not a fan of the "Performance Snow and Ice" tires, like the OP is getting, as they do sacrifice some stopping ability, but if you are aware of the tradedoffs and choose accordingly, no one can question that.

As hard as it is to even find tires, I would just grab what you can get.

I got lucky and got one of the last sets of Conti Viking 7 in Spokane. We'll soon see how they compare to Blizzaks, that's all I've used since the year they came out.

Reactions: DC2ACMY
I'm in the same boat as the OP - Don't have a VIN, but sure as hell not psyched to pick up a new MYP in December in SLC! I ordered the same R241 wheel (19x9.5) and paired them with some Nokian Hakka R3's. Had to get TPMS through Tesla. Drop shipped them to a tire installer in SLC and plan to swing by there at pickup and have them swapped in place of the 21's before I drive back north.

FWIW, I've had Blizzaks on many vehicles, and feel that they perform well. My wife has Sottozeros on her M3P and they work pretty well... just not as well as a dedicated show tire.

Can someone point me to what tires are considered better than blizzak
Tire Rack can show you winter tires available in your current wheel size, XL load rating for your Model Y.

19 Inch:
Michelin X-Ice Snow size size 255/45R-19, 104H XL, Studless Ice & Snow
Continental VIKINGCONTACT 7 size 255/45R-19, 104T, XL, Studless Ice & Snow
Pirelli Winter SOTTOZERO 3, size 255/45R-19, 104V, XL, Performance Winter / Snow
Pirelli P Zero Winter, size 255/45R-19, 104V, XL, Performance Winter / Snow
Vredestein Wintrac Pro, size 255/45R-19, 104V, XL, Performance Winter / Snow

20 Inch:
Michelin X-Ice Snow size size 255/40R-20, 101H XL, Studless Ice & Snow
Pirelli Winter SOTTOZERO 3, size 255/40R-20, 101V, XL, Performance Winter / Snow
Michelin Alipin PA4 N-Spec, size 255/40R-20, 101V, XL, Performance Winter /Snow
Vredestein Wintrac Pro, size 255/40R-20, 101Y, XL, Performance Winter / Snow

Any of these winter tires is going to outperform the OE all-season tires that come with the Model Y when driven on snow and ice for traction, stopping distance and control. You can shop by brand, price or recommendation. (BTW the Blizzak LM-32 winter tires are only available for the Model Y in a size 18" and XL load rating so unless you are planning to purchase a set of 18" wheels to go with the winter tires you may have to look at another winter tire. I don't have any affiliation with Bridgestone (Blizzak) or any tire manufacturer.)

Last edited:
Tire Rack can show you winter tires available in your current wheel size, XL load rating for your Model Y.

19 Inch:
Michelin X-Ice Snow size size 255/45R-19, 104H XL, Studless Ice & Snow
Continental VIKINGCONTACT 7 size 255/45R-19, 104T, XL, Studless Ice & Snow
Pirelli Winter SOTTOZERO 3, size 255/45R-19, 104V, XL, Performance Winter / Snow
Pirelli P Zero Winter, size 255/45R-19, 104V, XL, Performance Winter / Snow
Vredestein Wintrac Pro, size 255/45R-19, 104V, XL, Performance Winter / Snow

20 Inch:
Michelin X-Ice Snow size size 255/40R-20, 101H XL, Studless Ice & Snow
Pirelli Winter SOTTOZERO 3, size 255/40R-20, 101V, XL, Performance Winter / Snow
Michelin Alipin PA4 N-Spec, size 255/40R-20, 101V, XL, Performance Winter /Snow
Vredestein Wintrac Pro, size 255/40R-20, 101Y, XL, Performance Winter / Snow

Any of these winter tires is going to outperform the OE all-season tires that come with the Model Y when driven on snow and ice for traction, stopping distance and control. You can shop by brand, price or recommendation. (BTW the Blizzak LM-32 winter tires are only available for the Model Y in a size 18" and XL load rating so unless you are planning to purchase a set of 18" wheels to go with the winter tires you may have to look at another winter tire. I don't have any affiliation with Bridgestone (Blizzak) or any tire manufacturer.)
Ok thanks for the tire links but are any of those better than blizzak?

Ok thanks for the tire links but are any of those better than blizzak?

Sadly, there is no definitive answer. Tirerack does have some quantified testing that might help to compare, but in the end if you get a dedicated snow tire you're going to be worlds better than anyone who has an all season or a all conditions tire. I've personally driven Blizzaks, Sottozeros, and Nokian Hakkapellita R3's and they're all good, but the Blizzak and the Hakka stand out above the Sottozeros because they are a dedicated snow tire. Different conditions yield slightly different results from each of these tires, but overall they provide a level of traction and control in snow and ice that engenders confidence. My advice if you looking for a winter-only tire would be to go with Blizzak, Nokian Hakka R3's or the Michelin X-Ice. Throw a dart if need be. They're all awesome. Really can't go wrong.

Reactions: gt2690b