TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Santelli Loves NG (but not TSLA)

Discussion in 'TSLA Investor Discussions' started by MikeL, Mar 15, 2013.

1. MikeL

MikeL some guy

#1 MikeL, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2013
    Ok, everybody take a breath & watch Rick Santelli just about choke on his mic when the nice young investors tell him they are long on TSLA.

Man, what a joke. Surprised he stopped before shouting that they should be all in Exxon or BP
    if link doesn't work, it's the segment titled "Santelli Loves Natural Gas" (today) mar15

Santelli Loves Natural Gas - CNBC

Doesn't play on my device, is it the right one?

2. mulder1231

mulder1231 Active Member

Here's a link that works on IOS:

Santelli Loves Natural Gas - CNBC

3. MikeL

MikeL some guy

#3 MikeL, Mar 15, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
    Thanks, I knew someone would rescue me.
    the clip doesn't seem as "bad" as when I saw it live this morning. He's perfectly nice to the kid, just gives him the same old "battery would always be dead" crap along with a side of "I'm too stupid to charge it"
    Lame.

re: this thread, we'll get half of it back on Mon.:wink:
    re: re:
    thread moved from TSLA short term price movements. (Since I didn't say what "it" is, I'll be correct tomorrow, that is, unless "it" drops some more!):eek:

4. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Oh man, that was great. I'm thinking the guy is long "nat gas". The student made a clear, concise case for TSLA (that makes the reporter's previous segment look kind of silly) and his best counter was "what if my kid gets appendicitis at 3 am and I forgot to plug my car in?"

5. Norbert

Norbert TSLA will win

Isn't that a bit like saying: 'EVs (and you) aren't really worth a serious discussion' ?

6. dbullard

dbullard Member

Didn't they tell you? There is no Sanity Claus...

7. Curt Renz

Curt Renz Active Member

"Out of the mouths of babes", older folks are often stunned by wisdom. When Rick was a trader at the CME, I would interview him on our Chicago based "Stock Market Observer" TV show. Back then he had not yet developed his "shtick", as our station owner would have called it. CNBC apparently encourages him to speak in a passionate manner that's in sync with the channel's sponsors and core audience. Commercial sponsors are the lifeblood of TV operations. Tesla advertises nowhere.

8. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

I don't even get his point. Batteries forget to get charged? How many times would you forget that before you never did it again? Something about battery management? Cars don't have computers on them like a laptop does?

???

9. MikeL

MikeL some guy

Related thoughts: in a perfect world, wouldn't Rick S. want to see everyone's stocks increase in value everyday? And is it lost on him that, on a national (global!?) scale, more & more of the electricity we use to do things like charge batteries, is being generated by. . . .you guessed it - Natural Gas! If HE doesn't want some TSLA (or a Tesla), fine, but grasping at straws for excuses as to why WE shouldn't, sounds pretty weak to me. ML

10. Citizen-T

Citizen-T Active Member

Did this guy short the mobile revolution because had he forgotten to plug his phone in, he wouldn't be able to call 911 at 3am?

11. Teslawisher

Teslawisher Member

"What if my kid gets appendicitis at 3am and I didn't fill up my ICE that evening because I was too tired, in a hurry, etc. and I was just going to fill up the next morning?" FWIW - I do that A LOT :redface:

12. miz

miz New Member

13. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Totally. FWIW, I did run out of gas on my old ICE after the fuel light stopped working, but I've never brodered my S. I hated going to gas stations so would wait as long as possible before filling up again.

14. MikeL

MikeL some guy

#14 MikeL, Mar 19, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
    The scenario he presents is another example of a fundamental misunderstanding that is way too common. That is, that every EV driver returns home with a completely dead battery every day, and that once parked, the car is going nowhere until it gets a looooong charge. This wrong assumption is evident in the often heard, seemingly innocent question, "how long does it take to charge?" Btw, my answer is "a few seconds, just plug it in." But what the question implies is a completely drained battery, which we almost never have, especially in a Tesla! How far does he live from the hospital anyway?!

15. ggr

ggr Roadster R80 537, SigS P85 29

I prefer: "Wrong question! The correct answer is, it's always full in the morning!". Works for me.

16. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

"Faster than my cell phone. And charge lasts longer too..."
    (The latter isn't accurate for me, but it is for those that don't turn on battery miser or whatever it's called.)

17. Plug Me In

Plug Me In Member

I'm no financial wizard, but the "I need my car fully charged when my kid's appendix bursts" stock analysis is pretty weak.

18. hershey101

hershey101 Member

Those kids should call up Santelli and laugh at his face. Maybe send him the Consumer Reports review and their portfolio performance for this month as a joke, make him look like a complete moron.

19. MikeL

MikeL some guy

I really hope they held their position & are still riding this rocket. For Fun and Profit! ML

20. MikeC

MikeC Active Member

Would love to see that.