Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saran wrap as temporary bug protection on a road trip?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've seen painters (the blue kind) used on track for the black marbles that get thrown up. If it will survive the 150mph back straight, it should work fine on the highway. Will look weird though.

Last edited:
Normally I wouldn't bother with this sort of thing, even though I go beyond what most do for the exterior of their car. But having white paint means every drop of blood and guts shows up, and I just saw in the news that there are big mayfly swarms in NE Ohio right now, which I will be going right thru on my trip. Painter's tape does sound like it would offer more protection, but would be very obvious and draw extra attention. Would probably stay on better, but take longer to put on. Or maybe I do sheets of saran wrap, and secure the edges with painter's tape?

Reactions: 1375mlm and QUBO
Saran wrap seems like a good idea. Adheres mostly via static cling and stretchiness, but using temporary painters tape at a lower edge would be helpful. My car is black and I use dark window film from Lowes (for about $20) as a bra on the front part of the hood, held in place by static cling and some tape under the hood. Sometimes I use it on the front grill -- but need to cut out little holes for the ultrasonics or else they don't get the distances correct.

A caveat on this low cost approach is that dirt and moisture can get underneath the wrap which could scratch the paint. A bug hitting saran wrap at high speed could cause a rip with bug guts underneath the wrap.

I just carry a bug sponge in the car and spray the front end with some waterless cleaning solution and wipe things off when stopped at a Supercharger. I drove nearly 400 miles to visit my father on Father's Day and then wiped my car down in 10 minutes once I got there and he couldn't believe how my white car looked totally clean after just a few minutes of wiping things down.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lucky_Man