Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAS groans and creaks when raising/lowering

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else notice their SAS make noise when raising or lowering when the car is stopped? Wondering if I should get this checked out by SC or if it's normal.
Are you talking about the compressor noise or something else? The compressor noise is "normal", although you should be on the lookout for it happening too frequently when the car is parked. My car had a leak in the air system and would give a little compressor "burp" every minute or so in order to maintain pressure. Now that it is fixed it is very rare that the compressor runs. I work 10 feet from my car so I have a pretty good idea what it does all day.

Are you talking about the compressor noise or something else? The compressor noise is "normal", although you should be on the lookout for it happening too frequently when the car is parked. My car had a leak in the air system and would give a little compressor "burp" every minute or so in order to maintain pressure. Now that it is fixed it is very rare that the compressor runs. I work 10 feet from my car so I have a pretty good idea what it does all day.
Doesn't sound like a compressor, more like a brake grinding type sound.

Do you have the car in park or have your foot on the brake when changing height? I think it is the sound of the brakes that you hear.
Try changing the height while moving slowly. I never hear the sound under that condition.
It's harder to hear the noise while moving because of road noise. It's definitely not super loud, but when at a standstill with miminal surrounding noise it's quite noticeable.

To my knowledge this is normal. Not sure how it works but this is a sound I've al;ways heard with all of my other cars with an air suspension that can be changed. I think the clicking sound is the suspension getting to a, "checkpoint" where it may lock the position so if it were to fail, it can stay in that level.

Sounds exactly the same as the other car manufactures and is actually less noticeable when compared to my previous RRS.

Do you have the car in park or have your foot on the brake when changing height? I think it is the sound of the brakes that you hear.
Try changing the height while moving slowly. I never hear the sound under that condition.

That must be it. When entering the rough gravel alleyway, I have the car in D and my foot on the brake when raising the suspension to High or Very High. Then, before entering my garage, I have my car in P when lowering the suspension back to Low or Very Low (trying to avoid anything hitting the garage door mechanisms inside the garage). I have not yet mastered the art of changing the suspension back and forth while navigating the narrow rough alley with side sensor alarms dinging constantly so therefore I stop before I do it. :)