Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SAS warning light - snow or cold temp issue?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The SAS warning light has been appearing recently on my MS. Red icon that indicates some thing is wrong with the SAS system. It originally appeared when we had a lot of snow on the roads here in CO. But more recently it is appearing when the roads are clear and dry but the outside temps below freezing. It always clears itself after having the car in Park mode for a while.

Anyone else seen this or know what is going on? I have a warranty still so am considering putting in a service request but I am actually waiting till the new SC close to home opens in January just to make things more convenient.

I'm having the opposite experience where I have an audible grinding/popping/crunching sound coming from the driver's side rear that appears to be suspension related. Nothing in terms of SAS warnings to back this up but it's a terrible noise. It manifests at different rates depending on ride height and load. For instance, the other night we had the in-laws with us and with four adults going to dinner the noise was bad enough for them to ask about it the first time it happened. It also appears about the time we had that big snow storm a couple of weeks ago. Originally, I thought it was a drive shaft being as the car this is happening on is a P85D and that's a known problem. I'm leaning more towards it being suspension now as I can replicate it over raised cross walks and speed bumps w/o being under load. The first few days it seemed to happen when under load more than suspension related. Dunno.

I'm having the opposite experience where I have an audible grinding/popping/crunching sound coming from the driver's side rear that appears to be suspension related. Nothing in terms of SAS warnings to back this up but it's a terrible noise. It manifests at different rates depending on ride height and load. For instance, the other night we had the in-laws with us and with four adults going to dinner the noise was bad enough for them to ask about it the first time it happened. It also appears about the time we had that big snow storm a couple of weeks ago. Originally, I thought it was a drive shaft being as the car this is happening on is a P85D and that's a known problem. I'm leaning more towards it being suspension now as I can replicate it over raised cross walks and speed bumps w/o being under load. The first few days it seemed to happen when under load more than suspension related. Dunno.

Have you put it up on a jack and had a good look around with a light? Sounds like you should see at least something that is not right?

I have looked at mine and suspect the little micro-switch levers that I assume tell the system what the heights are.