Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sasha Anis is a genius magician

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Add this to the multitude of threads already out there praising the MPP Sports Coilovers.

Installed mine on my P3D- this weekend... what a difference. I'm starting at the recommended settings, and somehow the car rides more comfortably than it did on the OEM suspension. I can't explain it - it's just more "supple" feeling. I know opinions on ride are super subjective (FWIW, the P3D+ feels like it rides better to me than the P3D-, although you can tell it's on silly wheels). The crashing-over-bumps feeling is gone and it just sort of feels like the entire car is more compliant over every bump & dip on the road. Also gone is that infuriating "floaty" feeling from the back end during quick transitions. I'm not sure how it's possible to make the car lower and firmer yet ride better, but MPP's figured it out.

So... the car finally feels like it should. If you're the kind of guy who wants a more comfortable ride from your Model 3, then sacrifice some money to the Goddess of Irony & get yourself a set of high-performance coilovers from Mountain Pass Performance!

Pics or it didn’t happen.

Just kidding, of course. Thanks for the post & feedback. I’m very encouraged to hear yet another positive review of MPP coilovers. I’m waiting for my Comfort Adjustables to arrive. I normally like to do things myself, but suspension & alignment are a bit out of my comfort zone right now. Jesse @ MPP recommended a shop in the northern Virginia area (Exotic Vehicle Wraps in Sterling, VA) but they are a little over 2 hours away from me (each way). I’ll probably still make that drive, especially if I feel those guys will do the job correctly and take good care of my vehicle.

How much did you lower your vehicle? Did you get/install any other suspension parts from MPP (like their adjustable rear camber and toe arms)?

Reactions: MountainPass
I see someone fixed my title
Pics or it didn’t happen.

Just kidding, of course. Thanks for the post & feedback. I’m very encouraged to hear yet another positive review of MPP coilovers. I’m waiting for my Comfort Adjustables to arrive. I normally like to do things myself, but suspension & alignment are a bit out of my comfort zone right now. Jesse @ MPP recommended a shop in the northern Virginia area (Exotic Vehicle Wraps in Sterling, VA) but they are a little over 2 hours away from me (each way). I’ll probably still make that drive, especially if I feel those guys will do the job correctly and take good care of my vehicle.

How much did you lower your vehicle? Did you get/install any other suspension parts from MPP (like their adjustable rear camber and toe arms)?
Well you're local to me, and I've done a few, soo...

With the exception of alignments (which I've DIY'd before, but don't ever wanna do again) I do everything I can on my own car. I trust nobody, with good reason. Although... the local Tesla SC has been spectacular. Apparently people come down from Tysons Corner because the one up there is so bad.... which unfortunately seems par for the course in most areas. If the alignment shop I'm planning on visiting Tuesday does a dog-*sugar* job (I've yet to get a perfect alignment from any shop) I may go back to doing my own alignments. It's not rocket science. Just insanely tedious.

Re the coilover installation - I won't say it's a breeze, but definitely one of the more pleasant installation experiences I've had because there are no disgusting fluids etc. to clean. The first corner always takes 14 hours, and then the next like... one.

MPP has been extremely responsive & helpful - I had a couple of questions over the weekend & they got back to me pretty much immediately.

Ride height "as measured by Tesla" seems to be rouglhy ~4.8" with MPP's recommended settings found at the bottom of this page here. For reference, regular Model 3 is 5.5" and P3D+ is 5.1".

The locations where Tesla measures ride height:

upload_2020-8-9_18-20-53.png

I plan to post pics in the wheel thread soon.

Thanks for the great info. Yeah, I think I’m like you... I trust no one when it comes to anything, especially cars. From what I’ve heard/read, there is no shop who will do a “perfect” alignment for folks who tend to be picky/perfectionists (like us). So, I would be surprised if the alignment shop you’ll be seeing on Tuesday will meet your expectations. I am curious how you plan to measure/test/validate their work?

14 hours to do the first corner of a coilover install? Wow. While I’m the type of person who would really appreciate & enjoy this type of installation & tuning process, that is simply much too long to ask/burden anyone (especially someone I don’t know) for assistance with an install. But, I really do appreciate the offer... ;)

Look forward to seeing some photos when you get everything wrapped up!!

I'm surprised at how many of us are from VA/DMV here.

I'm really interested in the MPP Sports, and hearing yet another glowing review makes me feel like it's the right choice.

I've done most maintenance work myself the last 10 years and after reading and watching videos, I feel like I'd be able to do the install myself. Scariest part is dealing with the springs, but that shouldn't be a problem with the right spring compressor. The main holdup for me is concern about the potential for the control arm issue and generally anything Tesla may try to deny fixing under warranty. Each review I read (and each time I load the MPP page daydreaming) pushes me closer though...

I want to try doing alignments myself at some point too, but it really sounds like a pain. I'll probably still try at some point because it feels like something that would be great to just do when you need it. Doesn't hurt that I'm paranoid about my cars and like to save money too.

Thanks for the great info. Yeah, I think I’m like you... I trust no one when it comes to anything, especially cars. From what I’ve heard/read, there is no shop who will do a “perfect” alignment for folks who tend to be picky/perfectionists (like us). So, I would be surprised if the alignment shop you’ll be seeing on Tuesday will meet your expectations. I am curious how you plan to measure/test/validate their work?

14 hours to do the first corner of a coilover install? Wow. While I’m the type of person who would really appreciate & enjoy this type of installation & tuning process, that is simply much too long to ask/burden anyone (especially someone I don’t know) for assistance with an install. But, I really do appreciate the offer... ;)

Look forward to seeing some photos when you get everything wrapped up!!
I'm exaggerating, but as a noob I'm guessing it'd probably take you the entire day on a given weekend to knock it all out. Hell, I'm not even a noob but I'm great at screwing things up so I take my sweet ass time... pretty much consumed my entire Saturday. MPP claims a competent shop can have these installed in 3.5 hours. I'm not sure you can do a "perfect" install in that amount of time - i.e., everything torqued correctly, nothing chewed up/banged up around the components being worked, paint scratches, etc. But what do I know... I have two left hands. If you decide to tackle it and have any questions feel free to shoot me a note.

How do I validate an alignment? Go down a straight road... does the car point straight when the steering wheel's pointing straight? Good. Now let go of the wheel... does it track reasonably straight? Done. With the exception of my old '99 Miata, which I aligned myself, every single car I've owned has failed this “test.” Also they’ll give you an alignment printout telling you exactly how lazy they are.

Here are a couple of pics: #2733

I'm surprised at how many of us are from VA/DMV here.

I'm really interested in the MPP Sports, and hearing yet another glowing review makes me feel like it's the right choice.

I've done most maintenance work myself the last 10 years and after reading and watching videos, I feel like I'd be able to do the install myself. Scariest part is dealing with the springs, but that shouldn't be a problem with the right spring compressor. The main holdup for me is concern about the potential for the control arm issue and generally anything Tesla may try to deny fixing under warranty. Each review I read (and each time I load the MPP page daydreaming) pushes me closer though...

I want to try doing alignments myself at some point too, but it really sounds like a pain. I'll probably still try at some point because it feels like something that would be great to just do when you need it. Doesn't hurt that I'm paranoid about my cars and like to save money too.
Yeah that's a risk you'll have to take but it's either that or drive a car that's not quite put together for the next however many years/miles... You can't go wrong with MPP. By the way... what control arm issue...?

Also DIY alignments are a pain, but I'm convinced that I can figure out a less-painful way to do it. We'll see how it goes when I get it aligned.

You can rent a spring compressor from Vato Zone for free. But there's no such thing as a "right" spring compressor - they're all horrible. It's one of those tools you hate no matter how good it is - like bushing presses. ****ing hate them but they're a necessary evil.

Last edited:
I'm exaggerating, but as a noob I'm guessing it'd probably take you the entire day on a given weekend to knock it all out. Hell, I'm not even a noob but I'm great at screwing things up so I take my sweet ass time... pretty much consumed my entire Saturday. MPP claims a competent shop can have these installed in 3.5 hours. I'm not sure you can do a "perfect" install in that amount of time - i.e., everything torqued correctly, nothing chewed up/banged up around the components being worked, paint scratches, etc. But what do I know... I have two left hands. If you decide to tackle it and have any questions feel free to shoot me a note.

How do I validate an alignment? Go down a straight road... does the car point straight when the steering wheel's pointing straight? Good. Now let go of the wheel... does it track reasonably straight? Done. With the exception of my old '99 Miata, which I aligned myself, every single car I've owned has failed this “test.” Also they’ll give you an alignment printout telling you exactly how lazy they are.

Here are a couple of pics: #2733

Thanks, man. I appreciate it.
Your ride is looking good! Well done!

Reactions: Dolemite
The front lower control arm bushing is the second best upgrade I've had after the MPP sport C/O. Front steering is so much more precise under load and the steering is much more communicative. That and the front camber arm totally transformed the car for me on street and on track.

• Informative
Reactions: XLR82XS
I’ve been planning on getting the comfort adjustables but every post about the sports pushes me towards those instead if it fixes the crashing feeling over bumps and the handling is improved I guess the sports are the move. Btw did you get the rear camber arms? because they recommended me to get those as well. I want the front lower control arm bushings and the master cylinder brace as well...this is starting to add up lol

Reactions: bcpm3p
The front lower control arm bushing is the second best upgrade I've had after the MPP sport C/O. Front steering is so much more precise under load and the steering is much more communicative. That and the front camber arm totally transformed the car for me on street and on track.
Don't give me more ideas. Did you buy the press tools or were you able to go with something from Advance Auto / AutoZone?

I’ve been planning on getting the comfort adjustables but every post about the sports pushes me towards those instead if it fixes the crashing feeling over bumps and the handling is improved I guess the sports are the move. Btw did you get the rear camber arms? because they recommended me to get those as well. I want the front lower control arm bushings and the master cylinder brace as well...this is starting to add up lol
I did... I didn't know exactly what I'd want so I bought them for the flexibility. It's not a cheap game... at least we don't have engines to worry about.

Well, if fixing the crashing feeling and improved handling are your goals (and you won’t be taking your vehicle to the track on a regular basis), then I think the general consensus is to go with the comfort adjustables... at least that is the advice MPP gave when I spoke to them. They told me that you can still firm up the settings/ride with the comfort adjustables (if you are one of those who prefers a firmer, sporty feel/ride). And, of course, you also have the flexibility to dial it back to a softer setting/ride for more general street use... especially useful if the roads in your area are not so great. MPP convinced me that the comfort adjustables are the best of both worlds. So, that’s what I ended up ordering. However, I’m sure most will agree that you really can’t go wrong with either product.

Don't give me more ideas. Did you buy the press tools or were you able to go with something from Advance Auto / AutoZone?

I did... I didn't know exactly what I'd want so I bought them for the flexibility. It's not a cheap game... at least we don't have engines to worry about.

My friend who lives nearby already bought a press and the MPP press tools so I borrowed his. With the 20 ton press, it didn't take much effort to press out the old bushing and the new one in.

• Informative
Reactions: MountainPass