Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saskatchewan Rural conditions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi folks.
Curious about the Tesla's in Canada. We live in rural Saskatchewan and commute about 120km a day with about 40 km on your average sk gravel roads, muddy in summer, snow in winter since we don't get a plow all the time. Wondering about reliability in these conditions also considering the cold sask winters and being parked outside while at work. We have a ford escape that we have 240000km on with really no issues besides your general maintenance. Can we expect the same type of reliability with a Tesla? Possibly considering one for our next vehicle

First, you would likely get more input from Canadians in the Canadian forum under TMC Community.

I'm on my second Model S over about 4 years and have never had an issue that prevented the car from driving. With respect to battery range, the winter does have an impact on range. In multiple short trips in the same day you can lose up to 1/3 of the published range. On longer trips, if you plan your charge to finish just before you leave and preheat the car, it's not much of an issue.

Getting the larger battery can help with range but 120km / day is not far for even the smallest Tesla battery configurations.

The reason I'm on my second Model S is for the AWD. I previously had a Subaru STI and I can tell you that the Tesla AWD system is even better.

Even better than an ICE car, because you can just get in and drive (as long as the windows are clear, of course). Pre-heat the interior from the app (warms the car up as well as the battery) if you want to, I typically don't. Instant heat from the heater, you don't need to warm up the "engine" to get heat. Others are mixed on the utility of the sub-zero package, but I have it and personally use the seat heaters and heated steering wheel for the first 5 or 10 minutes after getting into a cold car.

Also, no worry about coming out after work to a dead battery :)

The only issue I have really had, is that when it's really cold the windows don't always slide down enough to open and close the doors easily. Since the Model S (and I assume Model 3) have frameless glass on the doors, the windows drop a couple cm when you unlatch the door to clear the trim, and then once the door is closed they slide back up to seal. If the windows freeze shut, this doesn't work so the glass doesn't fully clear the trim at the top, and a little careful persuasion is needed in order to get the glass back under the trim when you close or open the door. It's not hard to do, but it was something I had to get used to. I hear that BMWs do the same thing.

I too came from a Subaru (a few actually), and my Legacy wagon had framless windows but no fancy drop-down feature. The Tesla AWD is at least as good as the Subaru, as @cwave1 noted above.

All currently shipping Teslas still have a 12V battery so they all run the risk of a dead battery. With a non-Tesla car, you'll still be able to get into your vehicle without too much fuss.... unlike Teslas...they require extra effort to get into the vehicle with a dead 12V battery.
'Tis true, however you usually (apparently) get a warning that the 12V needs replacement well in advance rather than just coming out to find that your car won't start. Also, the 12V replacement seems to be based more on age than temperature conditions.

Hi folks.
Curious about the Tesla's in Canada. We live in rural Saskatchewan...Can we expect the same type of reliability with a Tesla? Possibly considering one for our next vehicle

I'm in Swift Current and I've had a Model S 90D for 18 months or so. It's been excellent, very reliable, good drive. No issues with range - made it to Coronach in 40 below - and the only thing that will make life better is when they roll out the superchargers for the Trans Canada.

I'm already planning on getting an X for my next vehicle.

It should be good except when it isn't. Do not expect a Honda though. The biggest problem I can see based on customer complaints is that when things go wrong It's FUBAR. Can take a long time to get things done. Thankfully most of these or small annoyances. But any big problems can take a long time to get fixed even after diagnosing the issue. Any body shops authorized to work on Tesla's in Sask?

Hi folks.
Curious about the Tesla's in Canada. We live in rural Saskatchewan and commute about 120km a day with about 40 km on your average sk gravel roads, muddy in summer, snow in winter since we don't get a plow all the time. Wondering about reliability in these conditions also considering the cold sask winters and being parked outside while at work. We have a ford escape that we have 240000km on with really no issues besides your general maintenance. Can we expect the same type of reliability with a Tesla? Possibly considering one for our next vehicle
Have you read Elon Musk's autobiography? He has deep connection with your place-google it-and hopefully Elon might help you guys up there.