Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sat. Nav. Suggestions

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So far the only sat nav I have found that allows me to exactly plan a route is My Maps and then download to Google Maps. I know that some software uses waypoints but they all still route their own way. The reason is I like to explore certain roads/villages/towns and so plan at home on my desktop before setting out.
Now I have managed to get my login sorted for Google on the Model 3 I thought I'd got it sorted. I downloaded a route but there is no guidance option on the web browser version of Google Maps so I am still stuck with using my phone. Has anyone any other suggestions for web based sat nav that I might have missed.
Many thanks.

So far the only sat nav I have found that allows me to exactly plan a route is My Maps and then download to Google Maps.
Many thanks.

I think Ride with GPS | Bike Route Planner and Cycling Navigation would work well for your use case, it is optimized for planning cycling routes but should work fine for driving as well. They have great apps for iOS and Android. I usually use it for recording my rides, but if I am going somewhere new I will map out my route and then download to my phone so it can give me directions during the ride - works great even while offline; it needs GPS connectivity but not cellular.

Compare Plans | Ride With GPS Help

'turn by turn' navigation and offline maps requires a paid plan

I think Ride with GPS | Bike Route Planner and Cycling Navigation would work well for your use case, it is optimized for planning cycling routes but should work fine for driving as well. They have great apps for iOS and Android. I usually use it for recording my rides, but if I am going somewhere new I will map out my route and then download to my phone so it can give me directions during the ride - works great even while offline; it needs GPS connectivity but not cellular.

Compare Plans | Ride With GPS Help

'turn by turn' navigation and offline maps requires a paid plan

Thanks but I can use Google with my phone. I was hoping for a browser version that would work on the Tesla browser. Giving it some more thought I wonder if any would work because there may be no GPS connection to the browser.

The M3 satnav has one major flaw and two significant weaknesses.

1. When approaching a slip road, the satnav says "stay on [named road]" when it actually means "leave [named road]"!
2. On a roundabout, it doesn't warn when approaching the correct exit (my Prius did that).
3. It would be useful if we could set a succession of destinations when planning a route (my Prius did that too).

I'm of the same mind as the OP. I like to take back roads, find out-of-the-way places, avoid the large highways whenever I plan a road trip. I've found ABRP very effective at planning circuitous exploration routes when used with Google Maps and all the research the internet can provide me at my desktop before I drive..

I then export out from ABRP to an Excel Spreadsheet, print it out and carry it on a clipboard. Before Tesla introduced waypoints, I would navigate to the first waypoint, input the next address from the ABRP sheet and continued my trip. Now, I sit in the car for a moment, input all the addresses and start my trip. Seems to work very nicely, and ABRP does an excellent job of calculating the SOC. And if I wander off my route, I've got plenty of info to get me back.

A search of downloading waypoints to the Tesla led me to this string of conversation. If anyone knows of a way to download multiple waypoints to the car, I would love to hear about it.

You can send a destination from Google Maps to the Tesla app and it will automatically be set up as the destination in the Tesla in-car navigation. Not perfect, but you could use this to send multiple destinations to the car's nav instead of entering each one manually.

I will give that a try (sending multiple google destinations), but I suspect the Tesla nav will just replace the first destination sent with the 2nd destination, not add the 2nd destination to the route. I'll report back and see. I have my fingers crossed though, this would be terrific.

I can confirm that sending different trips to Tesla via Google maps only sends the first stop in your created trip. (Or the car only accepts the first waypoint, not sure where the information gets dropped in the "share" process)

I tried to send a google 8-waypoint trip and all that showed up was the first waypoint.

I tried sending a google destination to Tesla and it showed up. Tried adding a second google destination and Tesla Nav replaced the original destination with the new one. I tried "adding" a destination to a route by pressing the add button on the car's nav screen and sending the address via google maps and it did not add the 2nd address.

Oh well, we can hope that someday this might work. In the meanwhile, I'll continue to create the route in ABRP and orally enter the waypoint addresses into the Tesla nav.