Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sat nav - time to dstination inaccuracy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi - I posted this on Tesla's UK forum but thought I'd psot here as well :)

Does anyone else ingnore the time calculated? I have always used (and now still do use) Google Maps Navigation (on my phone or laptop) and not only does it give you 3 routes (showing the additonal time taken if you don't opt for the fastets one) BUT it's accurate. It varies wildly to the Tesla's calculation. Test it yourself!

What I dont understand is that the maps are both Google. I can only assume that this is the only thing they have in common and the actual route chosen as the quickest and the time given, is done buy another provider (Garmin?). Can anyone confirm. If it's Garmin then it's very poor. Pointless showing live traffic information if it can't calculate the result of that.

Either way, it's totally not good enough. I love my big sat nav screen but I now have my phone stuck to my Model S dashboard so I can accurately select which route to choose and the time it will take me!

Thanks for any help :)

The current navigation system is a combination of Garmin software & maps, with Tesla software and Google map data.

The Garmin software does the actual navigation - and displays maps on the dashboard.

Tesla's software is used for the user interface and Trip Planner and uses Google maps for the touchscreen display.

Since the Garmin map data is updated roughly once a year, and that map data is already out of date when released, in areas where there are road changes, the Garmin and Google maps are different. This results in navigation that avoids new roads and tries to use roads/ramps that no longer exist.

And, the obsolete Garmin data can impact the estimated trip time. Even though our home street has existed for at least 5 years, the navigation system is confused on our block - and thinks it takes 5 minutes to drive past the last two houses before our house.

With yesterday's announcement that AP in 8.1 will use the navigation route to automatically use highway ramps, that should hopefully mean Tesla will be making some significant improvements in the navigation software before then - since the current combination of data and software has some challenges.

Until they improve it I use Waze on my phone for SatNav. its better even than Google Maps IMHO.

I use Big Screen for the overall picture - particularly zooming in to MAX and changing to Satellite picture, when I'm manoeuvring inside a city on a route that is somewhat tricky - e.g. making sure I take the right turning when there are lots of side road / roundabout exits

Hi - I posted this on Tesla's UK forum but thought I'd psot here as well :)

Does anyone else ingnore the time calculated? I have always used (and now still do use) Google Maps Navigation (on my phone or laptop) and not only does it give you 3 routes (showing the additonal time taken if you don't opt for the fastets one) BUT it's accurate. It varies wildly to the Tesla's calculation. Test it yourself!

What I dont understand is that the maps are both Google. I can only assume that this is the only thing they have in common and the actual route chosen as the quickest and the time given, is done buy another provider (Garmin?). Can anyone confirm. If it's Garmin then it's very poor. Pointless showing live traffic information if it can't calculate the result of that.

Either way, it's totally not good enough. I love my big sat nav screen but I now have my phone stuck to my Model S dashboard so I can accurately select which route to choose and the time it will take me!

Thanks for any help :)

The ETA is completely useless - even without traffic. I will be 100 km from my destination on a road with a 100 km/ limit, driving 110 with no traffic and it will continue to predict that I will be there in 90 minutes. I have no idea why this is the case but I wish they would fix it.

I just don't get it that the nav system in a Tesla is the weakest part of the car. The Tesla nav system is so inaccurate you have to open Waze or Google Maps to be sure. I live in South Florida and it routinely routes me off the Interstate (95) to surface streets, to enter the Interstate a few miles down the road. It is terrible.

Strange. I don't have any of these problems.

In 8.0 you can set the threshold for re-routing dynamically to not bother unless the savings is more than XX minutes. I bumped my to
10 min to prevent the bogus re-routes your might be seeing.

I find the center map time estimate quite good. It sucks if there are a lot of traffic lights (then it's optimistic) but otherwise
it seems spot on.