Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Sat Nav

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
mmmm strange event.

Wanted to use superchargers on way home from Lancashire UK. nearest on the route was at Charnock Richard according to Tesla sat nav so programmed in and followed the route. What it failed to say was the chargers are on the NORTHbound M6 so had to leave SOUTHbound M6 and spend 15 minutes going though small towns and had to enter the service station through a no entry sign!
There were 10 superchargers in a hotel car park away from the service and other ev charge points.

Why does Tesla not make it clear which superchargers are ACTUALLY on route and why are they down a no entry road away from the main ev charging area? Seems like an own goal and tbh a bit stupid for such a "clever" company!

There were 10 superchargers (1 in use) so why not fit 5 on each side of the motorway in an area easily accessible. Must have cost a fortune to fit 10 in such a hidden place and in a place which forces Tesla owners to illegally drive through a no entry sign.

...Why does Tesla not make it clear which superchargers are ACTUALLY on route....why not fit 5 on each side of the motorway in an area easily accessible...

I assume that the navigation needs to be updated.

I don't know why but may be 10 bays in 1 location is cheaper and quicker to build than 5 each for 2 different locations.

If you could please send a Navigation correction and Supercharger location suggestion to Tesla via its contact page.

The superchargers require high power connections - so splitting the stations between sides of a highway would be pretty expensive, plus it requires securing a second physical location.

Tesla has made improvements with the trip planner to help in managing supercharger access - and could do more with future releases, such as providing advice on which charging spots should provide the fastest charging rate (since chargers are shared between two spots).

Reactions: Tam
I was short on a southbound journey today and used the link road from CR south to get to CR North. Sadly, at the last, with the superchargers visible, there was a rising bollard blocking the way. Only guests of Ramada hotel can access their car park via this route, it seems. They blamed the Highways Agency, who had deemed the road not to be for general public!

Given the Government alleged stance on EV and that Tesla owners had access in the past (hence why all eggs in one basket), I find the HA to be going against Gov. policy. Grrr! I will write to them and Government. Suggest all Tesla owners do the same.

I wrote to Christopher Grayling MP Minister of Transport and also Mr O'Sullivan, CEO, Highways England, asking for restoration of the link between Charnock Richard services south to north. Nothing from HE. Today an answer from the office of low emissions. A standard offering about how there are grants for home users and public bodies. Nothing at all about the specific issue!

I have forwarded the response to Mr Grayling asking for a proper response, to the issue raised.