Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Satellite images display black boxes

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am currently on software version 2022.4.5.3. I have noticed over the past several software updates that the satellite map display areas with black boxes overlayed on the satellite map. These boxes are always in the same places on the map and will disappear if you zoom out a little displaying the satellite image below. These black boxes are in urban areas and only appear at certain magnifications.

Anyone else encounter this phenomenon?

thanks

Attachments

• IMG_3249.JPG
    IMG_3249.JPG
    889.5 KB · Views: 217
When you change zoom on the NAV it must download all that data because the detail information changes. This shouldn't take long, if you have a good 4G cell signal. Also, the information is cached on the NAV SD card in the MCU. If it is an older Tesla, this card may be reaching its rewrite limits, and losing free space to cache more information, so the information must be downloaded constantly from the cell signal instead of being read from the SD drive. If you get a black square, it is likely this information has not been cached on the SD card.

Interesting thoughts..thanks
I have been in touch with Tesla having opened a ticket. After several days of back and forth with them and sending them videos of the issue, they have no idea what is causing this. Ticket is remaining open while they continue to try and sort this out.

It just started happening to me after the last software update 2022.4.5.21 several days ago. I have FSD Beta which, even though it has the latest FSD code is several versions behind the latest general code release. I believe this is another software issue Tesla has given to us.

Strangely I have 2 Hasqvarna robot mowers. They use Google maps for their GPS positioning and display in the automower app. All through March I was getting the same squares in the app, but they have since gone away. Maybe it's the maps software?

I am currently on software version 2022.4.5.3. I have noticed over the past several software updates that the satellite map display areas with black boxes overlayed on the satellite map. These boxes are always in the same places on the map and will disappear if you zoom out a little displaying the satellite image below. These black boxes are in urban areas and only appear at certain magnifications.

Anyone else encounter this phenomenon?

thanks
I'm north of you a bit with MC2 and the entire state of Oklahoma does this during daylight hours. Texas is fine, but then it is all blackout.

Same thing is happening in Washington State. Black spots are in same spot at all times, I know because I drive through the corner of one of them every time I commute. I also reached out to Tesla, but they didnt seem to know anything.

Sorry to tell you this. My car had for first time this fail in summer of 2021. Very before than what you are writing in this post.
I had even 7 or 8 black boxes in different zoom levels in different zones of Spain.
My Tesla Service either give me a solution.
One day after months they disappear. I think when Tesla upgrade the maps.
Recently last Sunday (after months without problems) the first box has appeared again. I think maybe was related with the new map Tesla upgrade me several weeks ago.
Why we have to admit this problem.
I would like to do a global claim with every user affected. If someone thinks that it will disappear with one or two upgrades is wrong.
My car has two years ago and it happens to me after 4 or 5 months after I bought it. And I follow with the same problem after two years. Could it be a memory fail and with the hot the writing of the bytes fail?
Surely Tesla will wait until we can’t use the guarantee and then they will suggest change something. 😡