Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

satellite map view not sticking on auto mode

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

crackers8199

May 31, 2015
SoCal
my car as of the last few days (2022.24.5), my car now is stuck in satellite mode both day and night on auto mode. previously, it would switch back and forth depending whichever way i had it set in either mode (i.e. at night i would turn it to map only, daytime would be satellite view)...but now it's sticking on either satellite view for both (if i turn it on during the day), or map view for both (if i turn satellite off at night). is there a way to get this back to the way it used to be, or is this another thing that tesla thought would be a good idea to change for some reason?

I noticed the same. It didn't even seem like I had a software update that triggered it though--I was on 2022.12.3.20, but maybe there was a nav maps update? Anyway, it didn't seem a "bright" as in the past. In other words, it seemed like there was a version of the satellite view that was darker and meant for night viewing. It actually wasn't too bad.

I noticed the same. It didn't even seem like I had a software update that triggered it though--I was on 2022.12.3.20, but maybe there was a nav maps update? Anyway, it didn't seem a "bright" as in the past. In other words, it seemed like there was a version of the satellite view that was darker and meant for night viewing. It actually wasn't too bad.

I thought that too, but if you save it and then switch back and forth between day and night mode it keeps the setting the same. auto too. but then, at some point, it ends up getting stuck.

I thought that too, but if you save it and then switch back and forth between day and night mode it keeps the setting the same. auto too. but then, at some point, it ends up getting stuck.
do you have a fix for this issue yet? I am on my latest update 2022.28.2 and started noticing, but the opposite. my map would revert to google map view despite setting it on satellite. every morning it kept reverting to map view though when i first opened the car and took a video it was still on satellite. one time i went out for lunch for half an hour, and when i got back in the car it reverts back to map again. switching it to satellite hoping that it stays that way did not work

do you have a fix for this issue yet? I am on my latest update 2022.28.2 and started noticing, but the opposite. my map would revert to google map view despite setting it on satellite. every morning it kept reverting to map view though when i first opened the car and took a video it was still on satellite. one time i went out for lunch for half an hour, and when i got back in the car it reverts back to map again. switching it to satellite hoping that it stays that way did not work

nope. it randomly seems to switch back and forth. very annoying.

nope. it randomly seems to switch back and forth. very annoying.
Super annoying indeed. My settings were exactly the same as yours. Satellite during the day, Map during night

After a few days of experimenting, I can replicate the issue just like you did. Whenever I turn on sat on the day and when the sun sets during my drive, it switches the night mode to satellite instead of map (even though I'm 100% sure the night/dark mode on display setting was set on the map view and I saved it multiple times to make sure). Same thing when I have my night set as a map view, the next morning/day it would be set as a map view (Again, I made sure my setting was set to Satellite during day).

So it's like the car reads whatever you have previously (when you have map view on day, it will be map view at night, and vice versa) instead of remembering it as a setting. Obviously, it's not liking both settings

I have come to terms now that I have to pick which one is the best to use instead of using the two, in which in my opinion satellite would be more useful for my own liking.

until it fixes itself, I guess that is the only thing we can do?

mine has gotten worse somehow now...it always stays on satellite at night, and then always changes to map during the day.

I change it back to satellite during the day, it stays as satellite that night, then switches back to map the next day.

extremely annoying.

Finally fixed mine with this issue of almost a year… in park go to display setting, select night(during the day), go to the main map and click the globe icon, map should be in night vector mode, now go back to display settings… click auto. There you go!

Finally fixed mine with this issue of almost a year… in park go to display setting, select night(during the day), go to the main map and click the globe icon, map should be in night vector mode, now go back to display settings… click auto. There you go!

doesn't work. it'll save it momentarily, but eventually it'll switch back. it does it to me every morning...i turn on satellite during the day, then at night it switches to map mode. in the morning when i get back in the car, it goes to satellite mode for a few seconds...then suddenly changes to map mode. lather, rinse, repeat.

doesn't work. it'll save it momentarily, but eventually it'll switch back. it does it to me every morning...i turn on satellite during the day, then at night it switches to map mode. in the morning when i get back in the car, it goes to satellite mode for a few seconds...then suddenly changes to map mode. lather, rinse, repeat.
Sounds like you have it saved on a driving profile. You might need to delete all your profiles and easy entry profile. It was saved satellite on my wife’s profile.

this is getting worse, not better. the past few days, it's now switching me to either satellite view at night or map view during the day seemingly every single time i get out of / back into the car.

but hey, at least my car farts remotely now. ugh.

almost two years later and this is still broken. has anyone else figured out a definitive way to fix this? for the first four years i had the car, it worked exactly as you'd expect (satellite during the day, vector at night)...now, it's seemingly random when it will switch back and forth. sometimes satellite at night. sometimes vector during the day. no rhyme or reason as to when it changes between the two. it's incredibly frustrating.