Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Satin PPF on black MY. Ceramic coating? TontongOC CA

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I am new to this forum so apologies if any of this is an ongoing question. I just got a black MY (after waiting 3 months of course). I was super excited about it for 2 weeks until some broad decided to shoot over 3 lanes on the freeway and smash the side of my car. It’s been in the shop for 3.5 weeks so far. I know what you’re thinking, yes, I am bitter.

I did some research briefly before about the clear bra and just figured I would do that in the front and then do ceramic coating on the remainder of the car. Then I started seeing some matte/satin black cars but some look more grey to me than black but some others look more black. I figured out there is the satin vinyl wrap but I’ve read a lot of reviews about how much it peels and what a nightmare it can be. So I just chalked it up as meh ok not for me, I’ll stick with the clear bra PPF. But THEN I found out that there is Satin PPF! I got a quote for over 5k! Holy moly! And that’s without the ceramic coating on top of it. I guess I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it? Does the satin PPF make it look more matte? Or kinda grey shiny? Is it necessary to do ceramic coating on it?
If you’re in Orange County CA I am curious how much you paid for it, and where you got it done?
If anyone has a satin PPF (not vinyl) on your black MY I would love to see some
Photos of it and know what your opinion is, if it’s worth it or if its more of a hassle?

Is it worth it to get the top
Of the car tinted? I just want it more for protection against the sun but I’m hearing it’s kind of a waste? Have those of you who have gotten it tinted regret it?

Is it better to smoke or tint your taillights? Any photos on a black MY?

Thanks for everyone’s help with all of this!

You will have to determine whether it is worth it or not. The satin PPF is more for aesthetics than function.

I have STEK DYNOmatt on my black MY and it looks like satin black, rather than matte or grey

I did not have ceramic coating added as the film already has hydrophobic properties but I will likely consider adding as the film ages. I do have ceramic coating on the wheels though.

As for tinting, you will also have to determine yourself whether the expense is justified. I live in Vegas so I viewed it as a necessary expense. I have all windows, windshield, and roof tinted.

STEK has a smoke film for head/taillights but that is not my thing so I did not do that.

DE885A03-DC4E-4E4C-B312-D30DE29A6C86.jpeg

Reactions: CaliX
Hi, I am new to this forum so apologies if any of this is an ongoing question. I just got a black MY (after waiting 3 months of course). I was super excited about it for 2 weeks until some broad decided to shoot over 3 lanes on the freeway and smash the side of my car. It’s been in the shop for 3.5 weeks so far. I know what you’re thinking, yes, I am bitter.

I did some research briefly before about the clear bra and just figured I would do that in the front and then do ceramic coating on the remainder of the car. Then I started seeing some matte/satin black cars but some look more grey to me than black but some others look more black. I figured out there is the satin vinyl wrap but I’ve read a lot of reviews about how much it peels and what a nightmare it can be. So I just chalked it up as meh ok not for me, I’ll stick with the clear bra PPF. But THEN I found out that there is Satin PPF! I got a quote for over 5k! Holy moly! And that’s without the ceramic coating on top of it. I guess I’m trying to figure out if it’s worth it? Does the satin PPF make it look more matte? Or kinda grey shiny? Is it necessary to do ceramic coating on it?
If you’re in Orange County CA I am curious how much you paid for it, and where you got it done?
If anyone has a satin PPF (not vinyl) on your black MY I would love to see some
Photos of it and know what your opinion is, if it’s worth it or if its more of a hassle?

Is it worth it to get the top
Of the car tinted? I just want it more for protection against the sun but I’m hearing it’s kind of a waste? Have those of you who have gotten it tinted regret it?

Is it better to smoke or tint your taillights? Any photos on a black MY?

Thanks for everyone’s help with all of this!
My thought process going into the matte PPF was:
1. Tesla’s paint is soft so if you do a lot of highway driving it will chip fast. I had 4 chips on the front bumper in 2 months before I could get mine wrapped.
2. I plan to keep our Y for the long term so I wanted it to look as nice as possible for the life of the vehicle.
3. I went with the matte PPF because I wanted my vehicle to look different than all the other Ys running around on the road.
I love the way the matte looks (mine is white) and I saw the XPEL Stralth on a black Y when I was dropping ours off. The black looks awesome and almost made me want it lol. I owned black before this and hands down I would do the matte. Main reason is you don’t have to worry about rock chips or swirl marks. I take quick detailer and wipe the vehicle down. Within reason you really can’t hurt the wrap. When parked in the sun the PPF will self heal.
As far as ceramic coating I couldn’t justify paying someone to cost the vehicle. They want an arm and a leg for that on top of then $5300 for the PPF. I ended up buying Avalon King and coating it myself when I got it back. All the prep work is done for the coating (new PPF) so you can literally do a quick wipe down and start the coating process. Cost me $100 to do it myself.
Side note: when you have the PPF done they usually do the headlights and foglights. I was able to get them to throw in the tail light PPF for free as I wanted everything protected. Hope it all works out for you!

Reactions: CLK350
Sup. Not to be an annoying youtuber but I literally just made a video on this
A few thoughts
Xpel stealth vs ultimate
Stealth= matte
ultimate= glossy
some shops cost extra for stealth but xtreme edge doesn't
you'll see xtreme edge on another topic here

Friend just got a MY and drove it for 500 miles, already has rock chips and a scratch
It's part of life
We went on a 2k road trip, car over 7k miles now with no rock chips
washing the car super easy after the wrap
ceramic coating DIY is easy as well. very easy
allen threw in the headlights and tail lights for free and wrapped all of them

Sup. Not to be an annoying youtuber but I literally just made a video on this
A few thoughts
Xpel stealth vs ultimate
Stealth= matte
ultimate= glossy
some shops cost extra for stealth but xtreme edge doesn't
you'll see xtreme edge on another topic here

Friend just got a MY and drove it for 500 miles, already has rock chips and a scratch
It's part of life
We went on a 2k road trip, car over 7k miles now with no rock chips
washing the car super easy after the wrap
ceramic coating DIY is easy as well. very easy
allen threw in the headlights and tail lights for free and wrapped all of them

Very cool video!

• Love
Reactions: everydaychris
You will have to determine whether it is worth it or not. The satin PPF is more for aesthetics than function.

I have STEK DYNOmatt on my black MY and it looks like satin black, rather than matte or grey

I did not have ceramic coating added as the film already has hydrophobic properties but I will likely consider adding as the film ages. I do have ceramic coating on the wheels though.

As for tinting, you will also have to determine yourself whether the expense is justified. I live in Vegas so I viewed it as a necessary expense. I have all windows, windshield, and roof tinted.

STEK has a smoke film for head/taillights but that is not my thing so I did not do that.

View attachment 684981

What did you pay for the wrap and complete tint?