Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Satin / Stealth PPF question

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m still waiting to hopefully take delivery of my white Model 3 this week. As soon as I get my car I want to have a full Satin/Stealth PPF wrap put on and I have been getting estimates from local recommended shops. One shop that has exceptional reviews told me that they do not recommend trying to wrap the film around the really tight body gaps at the front bumper because after time the rubbing will cause the film to lift. He said this is also the case with the really hard edge at the bottom corners of the windshield. So they use plotter cut pieces that go up to edge and with satin PPF wraps they hit the painted edge with 3k grit sand paper to give the exposed painted edge the satin look so it does not flash next to the satin PPF. Anybody else heard of this technique or what are your thoughts on the edges in the right areas lifting?

• Disagree
Reactions: AusDetail
I’m still waiting to hopefully take delivery of my white Model 3 this week. As soon as I get my car I want to have a full Satin/Stealth PPF wrap put on and I have been getting estimates from local recommended shops. One shop that has exceptional reviews told me that they do not recommend trying to wrap the film around the really tight body gaps at the front bumper because after time the rubbing will cause the film to lift. He said this is also the case with the really hard edge at the bottom corners of the windshield. So they use plotter cut pieces that go up to edge and with satin PPF wraps they hit the painted edge with 3k grit sand paper to give the exposed painted edge the satin look so it does not flash next to the satin PPF. Anybody else heard of this technique or what are your thoughts on the edges in the right areas lifting?
Do not let that person near your car with sandpaper. I will post photos of a conversion I’m doing this week.... we don’t need to sand ANYTHING

Reactions: Premiertint
It sounds like you found a shop that wants your permission to put sandpaper on your factory paint, cut corners on installation and attempting to validate it!!??? I have done a lot of these wraps in gloss PPF, Stealth PPF and color change wrap... none have returned with this lifting issue that they have described to you.
Thanks! Do you just have to use the edge adhesion in those tight areas?

With all due respect, installing PPF is not easy. It takes technique, patience, skill, and training to correctly install it. I never use plotter cut patterns for lots of reasons. The main one is the finished result leaves gaps at the edges of the body panels. PPF has built in adhesive and is literally designed and engineered to adhere to those tightly curved edges and stay on. Exotic and luxury cars across the world get PPF all the time...NONE use SANDPAPER to install it.

I just had stealth ppf installed on my white P3D. No such sanding is needed and it's better if they don't use pre-cut films or a computer to cut them...
I do need to go back to the installer, tomorrow, to have him fix a few things, but for sure the edges around bumpers, etc. are not peeling up after having it on for a month and using my pressure washer on it. This is somewhat normal to go back to the installer for them to check on the install, fix any new bubbles or at worst, re-do some panels if they didn't settle properly.

The people online with pre-cut PPF always have gaps. I think the installers should stretch the films a bit more but I'm not an installer myself and would prefer someone to do it old school. It's an art, really. Good luck and you'll love it covered in stealth. I kept the badges off mine too. Matte all the things!

Reactions: Premiertint
No need to do any sanding what’s so ever, we do full body clear bra and also we never use precut kits, everything is done in bulk. That way no corners are cut short and give the most protection possible to the car.

Check out Concours Auto Spa the premier Tesla shop in Los Angeles.