Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SatNav recalculated on me today and ...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

WannabeOwner

Nov 2, 2015
Suffolk, UK
I went up to York today (and back). I needed a 96% charge at Grantham to get to York, and back to Grantham (thereby avoiding a detour to Woodall). ABRP said I'd arrive at Grantham at 55% and, if I went direct to York arrival would be below 10%

I told Satnav to go to York and it dutifully told me to Supercharge at Grantham, as expected. Traffic was terrible, so I gained some range, and at some point Satnav decided I could make it to York without charging ... so it removed the Grantham stop.

Of course SatNav had no idea that I needed to be at 50%+ at York in order to make it back again ... and it was only by good fortune that it occurred to wonder why I hadn't got a reminder for the stop ... given how much my mind wanders I could have sailed right past it :(

Proper 1st world problem for sure!

So next time I need a Supercharger I won't rely on SatNav automatic way-point, I'll use the "navigate to" on the Supercharger location :)

Being able to add waypoints on the Satnav really cannot come soon enough.

Maybe once we get 19.12 and the new browser we’ll be able to use a better route planner but then again I saw a video of the new browser on an M3 and it still seemed slow :(
IIRC one of the Version 9 updates was already meant to improve the web browser performance. On my pre-facelift, AP1 car it did seem to be able to run ABRP more effectively in v9. However this benefit is overridden by the fact that something like 80% of the time the browser in my car won't even start up, and I'm not wanting to do a reboot several times in a journey just to be able to use it :(

Out and back trips continue to be a challenge for journey planning. At least the car gives a round trip estimate for a single leg journey so you can get without too much fiddling.

Recently I did a trip to an airport (Glasgow) and wanted to work out how much I needed to charge in order to be able to reach the nearest Supercharger on my route, factoring in a few days' losses while parked. I also needed to have a good estimate of charging time to ensure I'd get to the check-in desk on time - as it turned out ABRP helped me work out I needed to charge to 90% so charging time was an important factor. I find these sorts of trips (out and back with a few days when there may not be any/convenient charging available) the hardest to plan. Waypoints in the Nav would certainly help, so here's hoping they appear in a future software update.

Of course all this wouldn't have been necessary if it was possible to charge at the airport - frustratingly they have 3 7kW PodPoints (allowing up to 6 cars to share) - but in the short stay car park, so way too expensive for travellers like me and too slow to be of any use to anyone using the car park for a pick-up/drop off. I need to get in touch and encourage them to consider a bank of trickle charger sockets in the long stay.

I went up to York today (and back). I needed a 96% charge at Grantham to get to York, and back to Grantham (thereby avoiding a detour to Woodall). ABRP said I'd arrive at Grantham at 55% and, if I went direct to York arrival would be below 10%

I told Satnav to go to York and it dutifully told me to Supercharge at Grantham, as expected. Traffic was terrible, so I gained some range, and at some point Satnav decided I could make it to York without charging ... so it removed the Grantham stop.

Of course SatNav had no idea that I needed to be at 50%+ at York in order to make it back again ... and it was only by good fortune that it occurred to wonder why I hadn't got a reminder for the stop ... given how much my mind wanders I could have sailed right past it :(

So next time I need a Supercharger I won't rely on SatNav automatic way-point, I'll use the "navigate to" on the Supercharger location :)

Is there no way to set the system to ensure you arrive at destination with a higher % of charge? I'm awaiting delivery of mine, and often head into areas of the country with less charge point coverage. Was assuming this would be a feature (no point in arriving somewhere without the charge to get back!).

Is there no way to set the system to ensure you arrive at destination with a higher % of charge? I'm awaiting delivery of mine, and often head into areas of the country with less charge point coverage. Was assuming this would be a feature (no point in arriving somewhere without the charge to get back!).

SatNav in the car doesn't handle Waypoints, except for any it adds for Supercharger stops, but it does do "return trip SOC%" ... but of course not all trips are there-and-back-to-starting-point.

For anything else your best bet is A Better Route Planner which does an excellent job ... and you can compare how different Models would handle the same trip, adverse weather impact, or "what if I bought an iPace / eTron / Merc and had to charge at 3rd party chargers"

I suppose for a route more complicated than there and back the expectation is just you keep an eye on arrival %age and know what that's got to be? Still seems odd to me they haven't added waypoints yet.

I still struggle to trust sat navs to make the right overall journey decision, although I tend to be happy then to trust them with the details. I haven't quite got it into my head yet to leave the choice of stops to it.

For my drive yesterday, starting with 56%, I would get to a little over half way supercharger with 20% left. Pretty good plan I thought. Yet when I put in my ultimate destination, rather than choosing this option the nav chooses to send me to a supercharger 5 mins from start (and not en route) instead. It is of course subjective and juicing up earlier is I suppose lower risk, but it still seems an odd choice to me given the risk was low anyway.

Does it default to a particular method with earlier stops?

Last edited:
I suppose for a route more complicated than there and back the expectation is just you keep an eye on arrival %age and know what that's got to be?

part of the problem is that Electron Forecourts :) are not on every street corner ... so journey planning is needed.

I have plenty of journeys which are:

Long dual carriageway stretch
Suitable Supercharger at 150+ miles away
But then a further 50 miles up the road, no Supercharger, turn off into the countryside for 20 miles, a bit of running around whilst there, and then head home
Will I make it back to that Supercharger ?

In Winter then definitely not ...

How much hassle will I put up with at Destination to make sure of the return journey? If there is a destination charger, or even a 13 AMP plug, I'm probably laughing ... but I've sat for an hour at CHAdeMO to make sure of it (well ... "sat" = "retail therapy" at the adjacent mall ...)

Model-3, and newer Model-S/X with CCS adaptor, are going to be using any-old-CCS once they start springing up all over the place at 150kW+ ... that will start to make the whole thing much easier.

You will if you order that P100...

:)

Detoured to Newport Pagnell today, as there-and-back to Oxford is a bit too far ... spent an hour just going that one junction because of an accident in the roadworks ... on a bit of road that I only needed to travel to get to Supercharger ... that I wouldn't have needed with Raven ... hopefully that will have swayed Management's Mind :)

Waypoints would be good

How many? Do any cars offer "loads"? The only ones I've encountered are basically "Route to a destination" and then pick another destination and be asked "New journey or Add a Stop". Being able to switch the order adds all sorts of complexity which I reckon would be hard on the titchy screens of most cars ... and for Tesla maybe a limitation is the available spare CPU horsepower. At least Tesla has the screen real-estate to make it easier to do, but for me if I am planning something with several stops I want a computer & screen to do the what-ifs.

Admittedly having done all that planning if I need to change something during the journey I'm stuffed - short of stopping and playing with my laptop

I find its best to plan with abetterrouteplanner.com before I set off.

I find its best to plan with abetterrouteplanner.com before I set off.

Sorry wasn't clear in my original post that ABRP = ABetterRoutePlanner