Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Satnav

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As others have said, is not possible at the moment, and the irony is the engine for waypoints seems to be there because it can route via superchargers if needed.

So join the club of people who feel the odd driving aid like this would be more useful than boom boxes making farting noises, so despite it being promised a couple of times it doesn't seem to tickle Elons fancy enough to make the priority list.

Upvote 0
Hi. Is it possible to add a way point when entering a destination on the Tesla S 2016 model? This is a standard feature on all other satnav systems. It would make selection of charging points more effective. Thanks. Ps it’s a UK model.
Sadly not. It has been asked of Elon Musk himself who said yes in a tweet. He didn't say when, mind, so we can hope but it may never happen.

Upvote 0
I guess for me it’s the biggest letdown and probably one of the simplest for Tesla to provide.
Perhaps we all need to post pictures of the central screen with a satnav mounted above it.
Tesla isn't just navigating, it's calculating your battery usage and charging options as well. On a journey from A-B it's pretty accurate. If you are going A-B-C and stopping at B for some time how can it know your starting battery level for the next leg.

If you want a sequence of destinations you can add them to your calendar

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
Upvote 0
Tesla isn't just navigating, it's calculating your battery usage and charging options as well. On a journey from A-B it's pretty accurate. If you are going A-B-C and stopping at B for some time how can it know your starting battery level for the next leg.
Good question, yet I think it is not really that difficult. ABRP does a really decent job of planning that already.

• Helpful
Reactions: FlyF4
Upvote 0

If you want a sequence of destinations you can add them to your calendar
Starting battery level is always as you start the route, the route modifies as you drive.
If you’d actually tried what you are suggesting you would quickly realise it doesn’t work.
take a Garmin , Plan a route with 20 via points in a day and enjoy a route that you want to follow. It may for example only be 150 miles and start with a full battery so charging has no relevance. Now when you’ve spent an hour in the car trying to get it to follow your route, try a 5 day road trip.
OR use the garmin

Upvote 0
Starting battery level is always as you start the route, the route modifies as you drive.
If you’d actually tried what you are suggesting you would quickly realise it doesn’t work.
take a Garmin , Plan a route with 20 via points in a day and enjoy a route that you want to follow. It may for example only be 150 miles and start with a full battery so charging has no relevance. Now when you’ve spent an hour in the car trying to get it to follow your route, try a 5 day road trip.
OR use the garmin
No, that would not work at all, the charge used on every leg needs to be considered to choose the best time to charge, it's not necessarily going to be convenient on the leg you are currently driving, it may have been far easier to charge on the previous leg. The entire route would need to be considered and then pick the best places to charge. If all you want is a list of destinations so a point to point route can be plotted each time that is what the calendar sync would do for you, this is exactly what I'm doing next week for my 8 day road trip around Scotland next week. I agree that Tesla doesn't allow you to follow your preferred path between two points, an alternatives list or drag-able routes like Google Maps would be cool, I tend to just head off in the direction I want and let the navigation figure it out for me, that does ruin range calculations though.

Good question, yet I think it is not really that difficult. ABRP does a really decent job of planning that already.
ABRP is really good and flexible, but as I know having just planned my holiday route it doesn't allow you to indicate how much phantom drain will be while you are stopped, so if that's likely to be any amount of time on sentry mode all your next steps will be off. If Tesla built something like ABRP that will be great, but I would still say that is not 'easy', ABRP has had very skilled people working on it for a long time. Other charging/routing apps like Zap Map and What's Up aren't nearly as good.

Upvote 0
I use ABRP and it's quite easy to use on the fly. I also use this:

It's a bit more clunky but if you are planning a more complicated trip it does the business and also takes into account phantom drain for the time you're not driving. It will also export an itinerary into your calendar so if you sync your calendar all the destinations can reach the Tesla. The developer is very responsive to feedback and will fix bugs very quickly.

Upvote 0