Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saudi Arabia (out of Market Action)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That guy was a murderer and an attempted rapist. He got what was coming to him.
Even if you support death penalty, just shoot him in head, inject poison (I think this is preferred way in USA) or something.

Crucifixion was usually intended to provide a death that was particularly slow, painful (hence the term excruciating, literally "out of crucifying"), gruesome, humiliating, and public.

I do not consider it humane capital punishment. I find it pretty disturbing that here are people defending deranged theocratic regime, but I guess anything can be defended, up to and including ideologies that killed millions. Just practice denial and nutty conspiracy theories.

Agree to that, the other side of him is all the violence. Not much good is a sustainable future if we are back to the stone age.
His invasion of Yemen, which is by by all accounts his personal project, is extra specially brutal and stupid, with no possible outcome which will ever benefit him, and lots of indiscriminate carpet bombing.

Reuters says their sources say the SA fund is not in discussions with Tesla about an investment in TSLAP.
Bloomberg says their source says they are and have been discussing since before Elon's tweet.

No way to know which one is right, but if the SA fund were planning to invest more in TSLAP, it would be in its interest to keep that quiet to avoid the stock price running up and possibly forcing it to buy at a higher price.

SA in talks on Tesla buy out : Terms of Service Violation
I wonder what's % of Tesla (and other companies in renewable) SA would have to acquire to fully hedge themselves against the end of oil.

@jhm to the rescue

Maybe they are much more aware than other fossil fuels players of the oncoming transition, and they're positioning themselves to play their "supposed" partners:
- by discretely acquiring big stakes in renewable
- while continuously selling their oil (and ARAMCO shares) to laggards who can't switch to renewable because of the innovator's dilemma or because of sheer stupidity.

The earlier and faster they invest while keeping others in the FUD, the better they may escape their ill fate. They may be encouraging markets to not believe in the transition for that (say, by supporting shorts against Tesla).

Just a guess

Last edited:
Reuters says their sources say the SA fund is not in discussions with Tesla about an investment in TSLAP.
Bloomberg says their source says they are and have been discussing since before Elon's tweet.

No way to know which one is right, but if the SA fund were planning to invest more in TSLAP, it would be in its interest to keep that quiet to avoid the stock price running up and possibly forcing it to buy at a higher price.

Agree on both counts. It's a complete clusterfuck. I would prefer Reuters to be right though. I simply don't trust that SA's governance of an important state in Tesla would not be negatively influenced by their interest in oil consumption.

Agree on both counts. It's a complete clusterfuck. I would prefer Reuters to be right though. I simply don't trust that SA's governance of an important state in Tesla would not be negatively influenced by their interest in oil consumption.

I could be wrong but I very much doubt it is a complete cluster**. It is in the interest of new TSLAP investors to keep a tight lid on information and in the interest of short sellers to create as much doubt, noise and confusion as possible.

Tesla also probably has its hands tied to some extent in providing much detailed information as it solicits additional investors to avoid any one investor having too much of a stake and too much influence. Maybe we'll learn a bit more after the Board meeting this week but I doubt we'll see much in the way of details yet.

It's difficult to discern whether Elon/BoD view KSA as a friend or foe.

The prince spent the first week of April in Silicon Valley. Presumably, the reputed overture to buy shares in a private offering was communicated during this visit.

Elon bought additional shares in the secondary market during the first weeks of May and June. Was this a cautionary defensive move in case of a looming proxy battle or just a coincidence?

This absolutely seals the deal for me on cashing out at $420 and not following Tesla in going private (I was already at 95% towards that decision). There is no bigger oil than the Kingdom. While it makes sense that they'd try to diversify, it also makes sense that there a good chance that when push comes to shove, they'll pick their larger oil interests over the disruption that is Tesla.

Update on Taking Tesla Private

So it was the Saudis.

That makes me inclined to vote no on the go-private, unless the funding sources significantly change between now and the vote.

I will definitely be voting no in that case, unless Musk lines up a large number of other investors to make sure the Saudi position is small.

That said, it's still going to sail through. :sigh: -- I have no doubt the Saudis are still buying up stock on the open market and by the time the deal is settled, they're going to have enough influence to make the vote pass.

This, however, decides me on how much I'm going to cash out -- nearly all of it. We'll see what the exact terms are; I might keep some, but I distrust the Saudis enough that I would not put more than 5% of my investable assets in.

I don't understand why there is a hatred for Saudi for investing into Tesla due to oil fund. This is like saying Honda or Audi are still heavily investing into their gas lineup so I won't support any of their upcoming EV cars. China has all sort of issue including human right, largest coal consumption, propaganda, etc. Does that mean their effort to support Tesla Shanghai should be dismissed and be look down upon. The world won't be cleaner if you still have major player polluting our planet continuously and denying them when they want to make a change.

As for religious belief, you can say the same about christianity. Like the incident in Jonestown, every form of religious has their sub-branch bringing terror on non-believer

Last edited:
Electrification would lower demand for oil and Saudis would remain as one of the few who can extract cheaply to be profitable.

This can be good or bad. They can blackmail others into submission under the threat of speeding electrification. On the other hand they may also prefer to accelerate so market shrinks and they remain one as one of the few profitable.

In any case I think Musks job is to find other investors so thei influence can be in check.

Last edited: