Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Save-A-Deer Whistle Anyone use them?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I have an upstate house and the deer are everywhere in the community. I drive slow in there anyway but I am worried about mountain road driving and destroying my S from a deer. The best way is to hit the bastard rather than trying to avoid it and ending up wrapped around a tree. :) I read a consumer review stating it does work but I don't know how reliable it was considering it had the ad on it's page.
Any experience with one and do you use them?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XNGLJU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38IL2U367V9L2

My personal opinion is that they are useful to (perhaps) ensure the deer is looking right at you when you hit it. Great if you want the satisfaction of seeing the whites of its eyes before the impact... LOL

Think of it another way... it makes a noise. So does an ICE exhaust and the tires on your otherwise silent EV. They don't always react to those other things, so why would a whistle be more effective? If it made the sound of a growling wolf, perhaps... deer aren't conditioned to run from just any noise. You need to startle them more than warn them...

• Funny
Reactions: Maximapolak
The deer in my area are not sure what to do with the Tesla. While most see and hear ICE vehicles and move out of the way, the deer in my area just stare at my car. I am hoping that they don't someday change their attitude suddenly so I give them a wide distance.

PSA: Deer mating season will be here soon and all bets are off to try to understand their behavior. Last year we had bucks just standing in the middle of the road staring at potential mates and not caring that cars were about ready to barrel down on them.:eek:

• Funny
Reactions: scottf200
"No conclusions can be drawn from these studies as a whole... A small amount of documented/published research has been completed in the area of deer auditory capabilities and their reaction to air activated whistles. For the most part, it has been found that the range of hearing sensitivity for deer is two to six kHz, and only some whistles apparently make sound within that range. It has also been generally concluded that deer did not react to vehicle mounted air activated deer whistles, and that hearing the sound from these devices might be difficult when combined with typical vehicle roadway noise levels. The ability of whistles to produce the advertised level of sound at an adequate distance within the typical environment of a roadway has been questioned.

A current concern is also the impact the installation of these devices (which may or may not work) on vehicles may have on the alertness of drivers (i.e., of they provide an unproven sense of security?)"

http://www.deercrash.org/Toolbox/CMToolboxWhistles.pdf

Snake oil, last ~50 years of making. The Finland's consumer protection agency ruled some time ago that, comparable moose whistles do not work as advertised and instructed retailers refund them.

I am a suburban boy and do not see deer often. But when we go upstate (2-3 times a month) of course it is more prevalent.
I learned a few things from the responses here:
Stay away from deer crossing signs because that is where they cross. :)
Snake oil?
Many studies have been done on this subject and we still have no idea if the deer whistle works or not :)
If I have a whistle at least I can look the deer in the eye when I kill him
A Tesla may have just upped my chances of hitting one, it is inevitable and now I feel jinxed :)
Thanks guys

• Helpful
Reactions: shthpnz
I know that many people poo-poo these things. And I get that. I actually had one guy on TMC get really pissed at me for saying that they seem to work for me. Didn't really get the anger thing on that...

I use Bell Deer Warning whistles. My experience has been that when I have them on my car, the deer stop and look up for just a second. Just enough time for me to see them and slam on the brakes. We have so many of them that I am always vigilant, year 'round.

One day I took mine off because I was detailing the car and forgot to put them back on. That very day, I had a deer jump directly in front of me. I stopped, fortunately. Might be coincidence, but I have had enough coincidences to lead me to believe that they give just that extra second for me to react. That's all I need.
I am shocked more are not hit. I really do love seeing them.

I saw a great PBS Nature show on how deer are evolving and adapting to living in suburban and rural areas and are thriving. The population is way up everywhere, apparently. Good and bad, I guess.

So, for a whopping five bucks, I'll keep using them.

So I have an upstate house and the deer are everywhere in the community. I drive slow in there anyway but I am worried about mountain road driving and destroying my S from a deer. The best way is to hit the bastard rather than trying to avoid it and ending up wrapped around a tree. :) I read a consumer review stating it does work but I don't know how reliable it was considering it had the ad on it's page.
Any experience with one and do you use them?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XNGLJU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A38IL2U367V9L2
does it work keeping drunk drivers away too?

So, for a whopping five bucks, I'll keep using them.[/QUOTE]

That's just it. I will get one for $8 and put it on. Just to have my own study.:)
It is small and tapes on and will fit in the front re-fresh opening inconspicously.
I figured I have this great forum why not ask some w/ experience. Thanks for the help

So, for a whopping five bucks, I'll keep using them.

That's just it. I will get one for $8 and put it on. Just to have my own study.:)
It is small and tapes on and will fit in the front re-fresh opening inconspicously.
I figured I have this great forum why not ask some w/ experience. Thanks for the help[/QUOTE]

I stuck mine under the mirror housing and pretty much never even notice them. Some people think that they look cool and futuristic, not knowing what they are. I couldn't find a spot on front that I liked. I did attach them on the cowling under the front. But they kept falling off.

I ride motorcycles quite a bit where the deer are. Hitting one is a huge fear. Here are some things I have learned over the years about dealing with deer
- Most deer strikes occur during the "hunting hours" of dawn and dusk. This is when deer are migrating. This is a great time to get off the road and eat breakfast or dinner
- Seeing them is your best plan
- I have not seen any evidence that deer whistles do anything. I am open to it.

image.jpeg Yup, deer and Teslas do not mix.