TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

save default charge current [Australia]

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by Brian May, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Brian May

Brian May Member

Hello,

Is it possible to save the charge current limit? My understanding is that by changing it to 10 amps, it should automatically save that value for the location. It doesn't.

What happens instead is it jumps back to the default of 24 amps. I have no idea where it gets 24 amps from, the electrician said he was configuring the wall charger for 20 amps, and the next step looks like 25 amps. Possibly this is a result of the Tesla not being able to detect the wall charger current, because the wall unit is not powered; I currently have it wired on the off-peak circuit. Maybe this is the reason save for location does not work also. It might be that when it actually will charge, it will drop to 20 amps.

However, there is uncertainty as to how much current our house can draw without overloading an Ausnet owned fuse on the overhead wire to the house (we do have plans to fix this, however have red tape to deal with first as it involves upgrading the meter board - it is currently very old). I have heard speculation it could be a 32 amp fuse, 40 amp fuse, or even a 50 amp fuse. Unfortunately, with no evidence we probably have to assume the worst case situation that it is 32 amps. As the hot water service itself is 10 amps, 10+20 would be getting very close to the limit (especially if you include the other electrical devices in our house), so I prefer to limit the car to 10 amps.

Even 10 amps might be pushing it if somebody turns all hotplates on at the same time - hopefully this unlikely during off-peak hot water times - seems to be around midnight to 7 am. No idea how much power these hot plates use (circuit has a 35 amp fuse!!!).

In order to limit it to 10 amps, it looks like I have to reset the current to 10 amps on a daily basis. Or I risk blowing a fuse that could be difficult to replace, and loosing power to the house in the meantime.

Possibly the best solution would be to reconfigure the wall charger for 10 amps, so presumably I don't have to worry about blowing the fuse (well not as much anyway). However, was thinking there should be another solution.

Any ideas?

Of course, for the long term solution, the sooner the electrician can sort out the paper work to upgrade things the better, I think.

Regards

2. srwx

srwx Member

This probably doesn't help but my MS remembers. I have a 32A HPWC (and the circuitry in place to safely provide that) but I set the car to only charge at 16A because I mostly charge during the day (work from home most days) and I'd prefer it to not charge at a rate higher than my solar panels (5kW). I only set it to 16A once and haven't had to set it again since.

3. meloccom

meloccom Moderator Aus/NZ

A couple of times my car wouldn't remember the charge current at a particular location.
    When I looked at th map screen the car had lost track of the gps and thought it was in the middle of a nearby national park. A reboot didn't fix it, I had to take the car for a short drive so it could find itself again. When I returned to the garage and the location was accurate on the map, it found the saved settings again.

4. Brian May

Brian May Member

Hmmm... Good point. GPS isn't exactly great here... As it in portable GPS in cars can be lousy. However I think the car does have a reasonable idea of where it is, based on the map.

5. lennier

lennier Member

Certainly it is supposed to remember the settings as you expected, most likely GPS inaccuracy is the cause of it not picking up the relevant geo-location settings, who knows what radius it uses to determine you're 'at' a certain saved point.

6. dogphlap

dogphlap Member

The wall connector talks to the car to negotiate the charging current. Which is lower, the dip switch setting inside the wall connector or the figure set on the charging page of the 17" display is the figure that will be taken for that charging session. If the charging current the wall connector supplies is higher than you want you (or an electrician) need to change the dip switch setting so that can never happen.

7. Brian May

Brian May Member

Yes, understand that. However, isn't the car suppose to remember if I set a lower limit?

It seems to be able to remember the start charge time OK.

However, yes, beginning to suspect changing the dip switch is probably the best way to proceed.