Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Save mirror position for reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes, (slightly facetious recommendations follow):
  • Give up trying to save reverse profile as it appears that the Model 3 cannot do this
  • Lower your driver's seat until you see what you want when the mirrors are tilted down
  • Use your cameras to navigate when reversing
  • Install a small convex mirror on your outside mirrors which gives you a wider angle of the view

Reactions: Garigari
  • Give up trying to save reverse profile as it appears that the Model 3 cannot do this
And that sucks, especially when considering (a) it should be easy enough to do in software, and (b) there's no physical mirror controls (unlike the Model S, which does save reverse mirror positions, pre-Palladium models at least. Not sure about the yokey ones - whether they save or have physical mirror controls)

Yeah, I hear you. I think I may have left off one other response in my previous list, which is: Wait for Tesla to fix this problem with a software update. One of my peeves when I first test drove a 3 back in Jan. 2018 was that the automatic mirror dimming was enabled all of the time. Now, there's a Mirror Auto Dim setting which allows people like me to have clearer vision in the rear view mirrors at night. One can hope that eventually we'll get a software developer at Tesla to add in the capability to save custom reverse mirror positions.

I just checked my new MY (delivered a week ago), and it does not save tilted mirror settings. The left mirror goes WAY too far down when pulling a trailer. I have to back my boat trailer up a 300' narrow driveway and through a garage door that only has about 5-6" of clearance on each side. The right side convex mirror is useless since the trailer, etc. is so small in it. The side cameras are also useless (wide angle), and of course you can't see anything through the rear window. The only thing usable is the driver's side mirror since it is not convex or concave so I can see the left side of the trailer and the side of the garage door opening. However, I had to slink down in my seat with my chin almost on the door trim to see the left side of the trailer and confirm it was not going to hit the side. After reading this thread, I went into mirror settings and did find that there is an auto-tilt on/off button. I was hoping I could turn the right side one on (because it is convex) while leaving the left side off, but no such luck. But I can turn both off, so going forward, I will turn auto-tilt off when I've hitched up the trailer, and turn it on the rest of the time. I'd love for it to turn off auto tilting when it senses I've got a trailer hitched up (it already automatically knows when there's a trailer there due to me plugging in the wiring harness to the car). And I'd love to see the tilting amount saveable as well as being able to enable and disable auto tilting per mirror (rather than both on or off).

Yes- this really annoys me too. Not other car I've owned dips the driver's side mirror when reversing.
Adjusting the mirror when in `R` and pressing 'Save' makes no difference.

I send feedback to Tesla via the link in the online manual page for mirror adjustment. They replied saying they would send the feedback to the appropriate person. But not fixed in the most recent update... perhaps a few more people need to do the same to get any action?
I have a 2021 Model S refresh. When I got the car in June 2021 I was able to saving the reverse mirror position setting but it stopped working. I’ve been battling with the service center about his issue. They are trying to tell me the 2021 refresh does not have that functionality. But a few months ago I took it in to address this issue and they got it to work than it stopped working. Now they are trying to tell me this function is not available. I’m onboard, who do I write? I can’t believe I spent over $100,000 for this car and such a simple function does not work.

Decided to solive this issue by creating a driver profile named backup and not using the automatic tilt option just having the mirror alignment perfect to back up into my garage and hug the wall on the passenger side, easy enough to go between profiles.
A good workaround IMO. Works for you NOW. Waiting for Tesla to fix/implement/whatever might take the lifetime of your battery pack.

I remember this being an issue back when I got my first Model 3 Mid Range back in 2018. Coming from a Model S previously, I assumed it was a bug that would be addressed, but as some have mentioned, maybe Tesla has no plans to ever add this to the Model 3/Y line. Such a small simple thing...even my brother's Civic had this...c'mon Tesla!

FWIW just got a call from Tesla customer service following up on my new M3LR and they asked if I had any questions or comments so I shared with them the inability to tailor the amount of auto tilt in reverse and I have created a custom profile to do so. The customer service rep shared with me they have a model Y and had the same problem so they will now use my workaround to create a new profile. Perhaps if enough new Tesla owners mentioned this on the car follow up phone call Elon will be gracious and add a little computer code to make it happen.

Not a true fix but when I put my 2022-M3 in reverse, the mirror moves down a fix amount of degrees. So if you don't like how far down the mirrors point in reverse, set the mirror higher in drive. Of course you then may not like how high they are when in drive.

AD870935-A77E-4343-9D01-E148FCBFEDAC.jpeg

I wonder when Tesla added that to the Owner's Manual...

That was definitely not in there and adjusting the mirrors in the tilted position didn't save for me the only time I tried doing this in late 2018 or early 2019.
I have multiple copies of the Model 3 Owner's Manual. 2022.36.2, 2022.40, and 2022.44 have the above Auto-Tilt functionality mentioned.
2022.28 does not have this.

Mention of this functionality seems to find its way back into the Model 3 Owner's Manual from time to time, but has never worked like it works in the Model S (where a driver's profile does save reverse Auto-Tilt positions).

Tesla should just freaking enable it already instead of inserting and removing the paragraph from the Owner's Manual. No one shopping for a Model S or X is going to downgrade to a 3 or Y just because of this feature. The code is already there FFS!

Reactions: tm1v2 and android04
My 2022 X Plaid also does NOT save the tilted mirror positions while in reverse. I created a thread for this also a while ago and have told Tesla Service since day 2 owning it. One of these days I suppose it will suddenly work after an update...