Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Save mirror position for reverse

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yes- this really annoys me too. Not other car I've owned dips the driver's side mirror when reversing.
Adjusting the mirror when in `R` and pressing 'Save' makes no difference.

I send feedback to Tesla via the link in the online manual page for mirror adjustment. They replied saying they would send the feedback to the appropriate person. But not fixed in the most recent update... perhaps a few more people need to do the same to get any action?

That may be, but it would seem silly. Also, it would contradict Tesla’s own owner’s manual.
Doesn't say anywhere that the reverse mirror positions are stored with any user profile:

Mirror Auto Tilt​

Both exterior mirrors can automatically tilt downward when Model 3 is shifted into Reverse. When you shift back into another drive mode, the mirrors return to their normal upward position.

To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Tilt.

Doesn't say anywhere that the reverse mirror positions are stored with any user profile:

Mirror Auto Tilt​

Both exterior mirrors can automatically tilt downward when Model 3 is shifted into Reverse. When you shift back into another drive mode, the mirrors return to their normal upward position.

To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Tilt.
OK, that may be, but the language in the Model S manual is identical, except for the references to wheels vs. yokes.

So, I can’t test this until my M3 arrives, absent a trip to the nearest Tesla dealer. But, there’s nothing official that I can see to suggest that Tesla is reserving this feature for S/X. (Yes, I know Tesla does all kinds of undocumented things.)

FWIW, in my 2016 MS75D (IIRC), it wasn’t stored in an individual user profile, but rather in a single profile for “reverse” (but, I don’t have anything to test that with, unfortunately).

I know that changing the reverse mirror position (while in reverse) and then saving the profile did not work a couple of years ago when I first tried it. I have not attempted to repeat the process since. I'll try it out again later tonight or tomorrow. I'm currently on 2022.12.1.

Reactions: pbar
OK, that may be, but the language in the Model S manual is identical, except for the references to wheels vs. yokes.
The Model S manual for pre-refresh cars says this:

Mirror Auto-tilt When Reversing​

Both exterior mirrors can automatically tilt downward when backing up. To adjust the auto-tilt position, shift into Reverse, then adjust the mirrors (press the button associated with the mirror you want to adjust, then press the dial to move the mirror to the desired position).

When you shift into another drive mode, the mirrors tilt back to their normal (upward) position. But now that you have adjusted them for backing up, they automatically tilt to the selected downward position whenever you shift into Reverse.

You can turn the auto-tilt feature on or off using the touchscreen, Touch Controls > Vehicle > Mirror Auto-Tilt.

So, I have a 2018 LR RWD running 2022.12.1. While in Reverse and my profile selected, the mirrors tilt down as expected. I go to the Controls menu and adjust the mirrors so that they are both pointing UP instead of down. Press the Save button and put it into Drive. Note: both the Save and Cancel buttons changed from "greyed out" to normal dark font. Putting the car back into Reverse, both mirrors point down again. It does not save customized positions for the mirrors in Reverse.

sadly my Plaid does not allow this feature to be saved. Maybe it was a feature available on previous generations (MCU 1/2/3). I've tried it several times, no dice :(

I guess the side cameras during reverse are 'thought' to be good enough. But I disagree
I don’t know about the refresh S/X, but they have a different manual so you can check there and see what it says.

I don’t know about the refresh S/X, but they have a different manual so you can check there and see what it says.
this is what it says

Mirror Auto Tilt​

Both exterior mirrors can automatically tilt downward when Model S is shifted into Reverse. When you shift back into another drive mode, the mirrors return to their normal upward position.
To turn this feature on or off, touch Controls > Mirrors > Mirror Auto Tilt. You can adjust the position of the mirrors only when you are in Reverse.

I will try one more time to make sure, and if it works i will feel really dumb LOL

I know things change, and Tesla's software updates make this even more variable. But, this worked "perfectly" on my 2016.5 MS75D, so it's not a mirage. (I say "perfectly" with quotes because it would have been better if the mirrors only tilted if they saw something like a curb on either side; only that side should tilt lest the driver miss seeing...oh, I don't know...a bicyclist passing on the driver's side....)

I know things change, and Tesla's software updates make this even more variable. But, this worked "perfectly" on my 2016.5 MS75D, so it's not a mirage. (I say "perfectly" with quotes because it would have been better if the mirrors only tilted if they saw something like a curb on either side; only that side should tilt lest the driver miss seeing...oh, I don't know...a bicyclist passing on the driver's side....)
Still works perfectly in my “legacy” 2018 S100D. It’s just the refreshed S that doesn’t have this (yet). But you do get the yoke wheel (like it or not) 🙂

My old P85D worked perfectly with this as well. At one time the Model 3 user manual mentioned saved reverse settings but it was removed.
we fixed the glitch.gif