Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saved 26 pounds with new Pulse light weight wheels on the P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

fiksegts

Jan 6, 2013
Miami
Full write up and lots of pics here:

Tesla Model S P90D Ludicrous with Light Weight Pulse Wheels

Stock Tesla Wheels

• Front: 21″ x 8.5″: 33.4 pounds
  • Rear: 21″ x 9.0″: 36.6 pounds
Pulse Wheels

• Front: 21″ x 9″: 28.2 pounds
  • Rear: 21″ x 10.5″: 28.8 pounds

p90-3quarter-close_b.jpe

tesla-model-s-p90d-ludicrous-multicoat-red-pulse-wheels-016.JPG

Last edited:
The last "ultra light" wheels I had would have been better labeled as "super soft". On a car as heavy as the Model S, I'd worry more.

If you can get a measurement on improved (or not) performance and efficiency, that would be interesting however.

Those wheels look fantastic! I was actually thinking about going the same route. The Model S in red with nice aftermarket wheels is one of the sharpest vehicles on the road.

The last "ultra light" wheels I had would have been better labeled as "super soft". On a car as heavy as the Model S, I'd worry more.

If you can get a measurement on improved (or not) performance and efficiency, that would be interesting however.

Those are fully forged wheels. The OEM wheels are cheap cast, much weaker.

The forged wheels I purchased from Vossen for my Model S weigh ~25 lbs each. That's about a total of 40 lbs in savings. An interesting fact when doing the math: saving 40 lbs of rotational mass will net a 0-60 gain of around .15 to .2 seconds and a range increase of around 10 miles!

exactly, forged are stronger, lighter.... I ran a set of these on my P85D for a year, no issues.....

Those are fully forged wheels. The OEM wheels are cheap cast, much weaker.

The forged wheels I purchased from Vossen for my Model S weigh ~25 lbs each. That's about a total of 40 lbs in savings. An interesting fact when doing the math: saving 40 lbs of rotational mass will net a 0-60 gain of around .15 to .2 seconds and a range increase of around 10 miles!

Carbon fiber wheels are interesting, but the design is pretty plain/basic. Hard to spend $10K on wheels you don't absolutely love.

They should pretty much be flat discs. Better weight and aero with less labor, probably 15lbs a piece. I assume most people wouldn't like the look, but the spokes/ventilation is a waste on a Tesla.

They are already ~12 pounds each with the current design. Also they make custom wheels - I wouldn't assume this is their only design. Cost is $8K for four. The ESE Carbon Company produces ultra-light weight carbon fiber wheels for the automotive aftermarket, which weigh in at less than 11.5 lbs (5.2 kg) and are rated for a maximum axle load of 3,850 lbs (1,746 kgs).​

Eric Escribano, President and CEO, ESE Industries, said the collaboration between DSM and ESE has resulted in a great product breakthrough. The resulting ultra-light weight carbon wheels can be custom-made and designed according to specific OEM preferences, as well as tailored for a full range of applications across multiple industries, he added.

Just imagine in a couple more years they will be 3D printing these things...

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure they use titanium for the lugs or steel, the other manufacture that I checked out was Carbon Revolution, and thats what they use. They are definitely strong enough - 3800 lbs per wheel exceeds most specs you see on aluminum and forged. Most of aluminum and forged are only 2200 lbs per wheel. I plan to buy these, but might make a trip down to see some finished products first.

I've been using carbon rims on my road bike for years with no issues. Also motorcycles have been using them for years - this is just the next natural progression for the technology as the costs get lower.

Here is the 3D Carbon Fiber printer I mentioned above

Last edited: