TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Saved 26 pounds with new Pulse light weight wheels on the P90D

Discussion in 'Model S' started by fiksegts, Dec 26, 2015.

1. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

#1 fiksegts, Dec 26, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
  2. Denarius

Denarius Active Member

I thought the stock staggered wheels are 8.5" and 9" width.

3. linkster

linkster Member

Yeah, I don't know much about these new fangled electricity cars, but I think Den is correct.

Btw, pretty ride, pretty wheels (not sure I have the patience to clean 18 spokes though), and cool mucho rubber! WOW!

4. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

The last "ultra light" wheels I had would have been better labeled as "super soft". On a car as heavy as the Model S, I'd worry more.

If you can get a measurement on improved (or not) performance and efficiency, that would be interesting however.

5. aus

aus Member

Nice looking car, but like AWDtsla said, if they aren't JWL/TUV certified for the Tesla's weight, it may not be strong enough for the car.

6. Zybane

Zybane Member

Those wheels look fantastic! I was actually thinking about going the same route. The Model S in red with nice aftermarket wheels is one of the sharpest vehicles on the road.

Those are fully forged wheels. The OEM wheels are cheap cast, much weaker.

The forged wheels I purchased from Vossen for my Model S weigh ~25 lbs each. That's about a total of 40 lbs in savings. An interesting fact when doing the math: saving 40 lbs of rotational mass will net a 0-60 gain of around .15 to .2 seconds and a range increase of around 10 miles!

7. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

exactly, forged are stronger, lighter.... I ran a set of these on my P85D for a year, no issues.....

8. Quantum`

Quantum` Member

Great wheels, but I can't understand going with 21" with all we know about flats on sharp potholes. $300 a pop.

20" at best, and these don't come. (Not to mention they're a ridiculous $2,500 each)

9. Xenoilphobe

Xenoilphobe Active Member

A better option for that price point would have been the Carbon Fiber ESE's in fact they would have been cheaper!

10. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

70k miles across 3 Model S with 21s", never had an issue....

11. tanner

tanner Active Member

How's the grip?

12. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

Miami...

Roads around here look like they just got shelled...

13. Zybane

Zybane Member

Carbon fiber wheels are interesting, but the design is pretty plain/basic. Hard to spend $10K on wheels you don't absolutely love.

14. Quantum`

Quantum` Member

They are. And no 20".

15. AWDtsla

AWDtsla Active Member

They should pretty much be flat discs. Better weight and aero with less labor, probably 15lbs a piece. I assume most people wouldn't like the look, but the spokes/ventilation is a waste on a Tesla.

16. Xenoilphobe

#16 Xenoilphobe, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    They are already ~12 pounds each with the current design. Also they make custom wheels - I wouldn't assume this is their only design. Cost is $8K for four. The ESE Carbon Company produces ultra-light weight carbon fiber wheels for the automotive aftermarket, which weigh in at less than 11.5 lbs (5.2 kg) and are rated for a maximum axle load of 3,850 lbs (1,746 kgs).​

Eric Escribano, President and CEO, ESE Industries, said the collaboration between DSM and ESE has resulted in a great product breakthrough. The resulting ultra-light weight carbon wheels can be custom-made and designed according to specific OEM preferences, as well as tailored for a full range of applications across multiple industries, he added.

Just imagine in a couple more years they will be 3D printing these things...

17. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member

that will be awesome indeed... there are some carbon fiber 3D printers out now?

18. Quantum`

Quantum` Member

Nah, CF must be fused at high temperature and pressure, to activate and flow the resins.

That said, I can't believe it's strong enough for a wheel. Are there steel sleeves at the lugs?

19. Xenoilphobe

#19 Xenoilphobe, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
    I'm pretty sure they use titanium for the lugs or steel, the other manufacture that I checked out was Carbon Revolution, and thats what they use. They are definitely strong enough - 3800 lbs per wheel exceeds most specs you see on aluminum and forged. Most of aluminum and forged are only 2200 lbs per wheel. I plan to buy these, but might make a trip down to see some finished products first.

I've been using carbon rims on my road bike for years with no issues. Also motorcycles have been using them for years - this is just the next natural progression for the technology as the costs get lower.

Here is the 3D Carbon Fiber printer I mentioned above

20. fiksegts

fiksegts Active Member