Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saved 26 pounds with new Pulse light weight wheels on the P90D

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Koenigsegg makes then for their multi-million dollar hyper cars.....

Making 280mph Capable Carbon Fiber Wheels - /INSIDE KOENIGSEGG - YouTube

Amazing. The spokes are even hollow and their wheel is still strong enough to brake from such speeds.

Now, their wheels do not use lugs. Cf wheels with lugs must have a steel insert of some sort to take the spreading pressure of the nut.

As CF wheels are hand-built I suspicion that they'll stick with fewer spokes, or some other easier-to-build design like a disc.

Those wheels look fantastic! I was actually thinking about going the same route. The Model S in red with nice aftermarket wheels is one of the sharpest vehicles on the road.

Those are fully forged wheels. The OEM wheels are cheap cast, much weaker.

The forged wheels I purchased from Vossen for my Model S weigh ~25 lbs each. That's about a total of 40 lbs in savings. An interesting fact when doing the math: saving 40 lbs of rotational mass will net a 0-60 gain of around .15 to .2 seconds and a range increase of around 10 miles!

exactly, forged are stronger, lighter.... I ran a set of these on my P85D for a year, no issues.....

That's a common belief that is not always true. A poorly designed forged wheel can be much weaker than a properly designed cast wheels, particularly with the newer flow formed cast wheels which applies pressure and heat to the casting process.
Not all forged wheels are the same. Most of these show type wheels are actually made by MHT. They can make a decent wheel if given a good design but most of these big show wheels are made for show with poor design compared to top notch wheel companies like BBS and VOLK. These companies are the only ones with 10,000 TON forge presses and have 5 axis machining tools. The BBS FI and VOLK TE37 Ultimate are wheels that are the pinnacle of wheel technology. I thought their prices were crazy at around $8,000 a set, but now I'm seeing these boutique show wheels charging more and people are actually buying them!!! ADV1 is a classic example of a crappy wheel people buy at crazy prices because they're good at marketing their wheels.

Very true - without JWL, VIA or TUV, TUV-T ratings you are taking a risk.
a few basic points:

JWL is a self "certified" test that is close to meaningless on it's own due to shady industry practices. It's performed in-house by the manufacturer, and it's cheated in numerous ways due to zero regulation. There is no master list as it's self certified, so you can't verify what is real and what is not. It's easy to fake (companies stamp many of the logos onto anything), and I could name many wheels that do not even conform to this basic test even though they claim they do.

JWL for that reason is no where near as important as true VIA and TUV certification. This testing cannot be performed in-house to receive an official certificate for a wheel. It has to be sent out them for independent testing. Manufacturers again lie about this process, simply because their in-house testing equipment has been certified to have the ability to recreate those testing standards. That by itself is again meaningless. That's like saying you take practice SAT tests in the same format the real test is given (no college would accept the self test).

To have a wheel certified by JWL or TUV, you first need your own equipment certified, and perform your own in-house testing using their standard. This means each wheel has to be crush tested multiple times in-house (not FEA). After in-house testing is done a sample is sent to the VIA or TUV for official testing by them (3rd party). If you do not send them a sample, then that wheel cannot be certified. They must have a real wheel and tire shipped to them to verify the results of the in-house testing. Once a wheel is certified it will be listed on an online registry database.

Those wheels look fantastic! I was actually thinking about going the same route. The Model S in red with nice aftermarket wheels is one of the sharpest vehicles on the road.

Those are fully forged wheels. The OEM wheels are cheap cast, much weaker.

The forged wheels I purchased from Vossen for my Model S weigh ~25 lbs each. That's about a total of 40 lbs in savings. An interesting fact when doing the math: saving 40 lbs of rotational mass will net a 0-60 gain of around .15 to .2 seconds and a range increase of around 10 miles!

exactly, forged are stronger, lighter.... I ran a set of these on my P85D for a year, no issues.....

Very true - without JWL, VIA or TUV, TUV-T ratings you are taking a risk.
a few basic points:

JWL is a self "certified" test that is close to meaningless on it's own due to shady industry practices. It's performed in-house by the manufacturer, and it's cheated in numerous ways due to zero regulation. There is no master list as it's self certified, so you can't verify what is real and what is not. It's easy to fake (companies stamp many of the logos onto anything), and I could name many wheels that do not even conform to this basic test even though they claim they do.

JWL for that reason is no where near as important as true VIA and TUV certification. This testing cannot be performed in-house to receive an official certificate for a wheel. It has to be sent out them for independent testing. Manufacturers again lie about this process, simply because their in-house testing equipment has been certified to have the ability to recreate those testing standards. That by itself is again meaningless. That's like saying you take practice SAT tests in the same format the real test is given (no college would accept the self test).

To have a wheel certified by JWL or TUV, you first need your own equipment certified, and perform your own in-house testing using their standard. This means each wheel has to be crush tested multiple times in-house (not FEA). After in-house testing is done a sample is sent to the VIA or TUV for official testing by them (3rd party). If you do not send them a sample, then that wheel cannot be certified. They must have a real wheel and tire shipped to them to verify the results of the in-house testing. Once a wheel is certified it will be listed on an online registry database.

EXCELLENT post.
People need to realize that just buying any wheel is not safe and it's just stupid when they cost more than the best wheels made.

This is why I will only buy JWL certified wheels.

ADV BLATANTLY lying about being TUV certified and being called out by HRE Wheels.
It's a LONG thread, but they jumped in saying they're TUV certified and when asked to post their certification, the said they didn't want to because other wheel manufacturers could copy it and use it so they they're also TUV certified.
Then out of nowhere, HRE come on and posts their TUV certification for all to see. The silence from ADV.

Keep in mind Jordon at ADV already MAJORLY SCREWED many people when he ran 360 Forged. He took a bunch of people's money, bought Ferrari's, Lambo's, showed off his new office with $1,000 chairs and then never delivered the wheels.
If you want to support a guy like that, go ahead. MAYBE they really are TUV certified now, but it's not the kind of person I'll ever give my money too. Not when there are REAL wheel companies out there like BBS, VOLK, Champion, Enkei to name a few.

I pulled the data above from a good writeup on a BMW forum. I would be concerned about ADV, as they openly admit in their internal TUV cert they they haven't tested many of the wheels and that they need to produce 6 so they can ship two to TUV for testing... seems kinda shady to me...

I talked with a company that has a Model S ceramic brake package in the final stages, should be out soon and will save some considerable weight.... I will be doing some more performance testing soon.... the last two piece set we tested picked up 1/10 in the 1/4 mile....

Is there any noticeable improvement in performance with the lighter wheels? If so, it would also be interesting to combine these wheels with the much lighter ceramic disc brake rotors as well.

Last edited: