Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saved by the Tesla cameras

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Last summer I was involved in an accident with my M3. I was southbound approaching a green light with the adverse driver stopped facing northbound at a red light. As I passed through the intersection the adverse driver turned left and struck me on the driver side rear door.

I contacted her insurance carrier and they claimed I ran the red light and their insured had a green arrow. I loaded my thumb drive and located the footage for the front and left side cameras. The front camera clearly showed a green light for me as I passed through the intersection. Since my car came to rest around 20 feet past the intersection, my left side camera which actual points to the rear of the car(to aid in blind spot monitoring) not only captured the other driver striking me but also showed that her light was still red. After I sent the screen shots, the adjuster accepted liability about 15 minutes later.

image001.png
image002.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I think insurance companies should punish people who try to lie like this. Their rates should go up not just for the accident but also for trying to lie (liar surcharge)

Not only can their rates go up, they can go through the roof. The insurance company can and may also fully drop them as a customer. And the other insurance companies are going to, at least partially, know about it so the rate offers they get in the future won't be pleasant.

Not only can their rates go up, they can go through the roof. The insurance company can and may also fully drop them as a customer. And the other insurance companies are going to, at least partially, know about it so the rate offers they get in the future won't be pleasant.
I agree in principle, but in reality there is NO incentive for insurance companies to do this. Quite the opposite. Such lies are in favor of the insurance company so the company would likely look at them as attempts to save insurer money. Why would they punish them?

I think insurance companies should punish people who try to lie like this. Their rates should go up not just for the accident but also for trying to lie (liar surcharge)
I agree that people should be punished for lying like that, but the realistic scenario in the future is that people will hopefully lie less, knowing that increased video surveillance will do the talking.
Not to mention just to cover my ass, in the future if I’m in an accident and I know I have video I might refrain from providing my personal opinion and instead say to the officer my video will speak for me..

In some instances insurance companies lead their insured to a more favorable set of facts so as to give them an arguable position in which to defend the claim. The carrier figures by dragging the litigation out, the claimant will get frustrated and tired of the claim with the resulting acceptance of a settlement favorable to the carrier.

• Informative
Reactions: Jeff Hudson

You don't know whether they were lying, or just wrong.

In any case, insurance is a system for pooling risk, not social engineering.

If being a person who denies liability results in less money paid out, the premium goes down.
If being a person who denies liability results in more money paid out, the premium goes up.

Reactions: ke6jph
You don't know whether they were lying, or just wrong.

In any case, insurance is a system for pooling risk, not social engineering.

If being a person who denies liability results in less money paid out, the premium goes down.
If being a person who denies liability results in more money paid out, the premium goes up.
I have nothing useful to add, but I couldn't help but be amused by your explanation of how it's about the money.

LOVE the truth that our cars are forcing to be told. We had similar situation where we would not have had adequate proof when an attorney driving allegedly uninsured, swiped our M3 this summer.
I like the Model X cameo at 6:00.

Have you gotten this resolved by now? I would think your insurance would take care of you and go after the other driver. It's what they do around here (Louisiana).

Last summer I was involved in an accident with my M3. I was southbound approaching a green light with the adverse driver stopped facing northbound at a red light. As I passed through the intersection the adverse driver turned left and struck me on the driver side rear door.

I contacted her insurance carrier and they claimed I ran the red light and their insured had a green arrow. I loaded my thumb drive and located the footage for the front and left side cameras. The front camera clearly showed a green light for me as I passed through the intersection. Since my car came to rest around 20 feet past the intersection, my left side camera which actual points to the rear of the car(to aid in blind spot monitoring) not only captured the other driver striking me but also showed that her light was still red. After I sent the screen shots, the adjuster accepted liability about 15 minutes later.

View attachment 487042 View attachment 487044
That is really cool. I have no idea if my 17 MS has that feature. I know it has a "sentry" setting that, if activated, will record activity when I am parked. I used it for a while, but it apparently records when people walk by it or cars pass by maybe? Anyway, there are always 10 - 15 recorded events every time I park it but nothing wrong. Of course I don't know how to view the recording or erase it either.

LOVE the truth that our cars are forcing to be told. We had similar situation where we would not have had adequate proof when an attorney driving allegedly uninsured, swiped our M3 this summer.

The same exact thing happened to me in my dual motor model 3. I was on I75 in Sarasota and a black sedan clipped me in about the same place on my car. Unfortunately the car ran and due to heavy traffic I lost sight of it. I had my car for less than 2 weeks. All beautifully repaired now.

I agree in principle, but in reality there is NO incentive for insurance companies to do this. Quite the opposite. Such lies are in favor of the insurance company so the company would likely look at them as attempts to save insurer money. Why would they punish them?

I think the question is what happens next. The insurers put up premiums or dump customers because they expect to have to pay out more for future accidents. So for them the question is statistical: Is someone who lies about what happened more or less likely to be in another accident soon? The answer could well be "more".

The same exact thing happened to me in my dual motor model 3. I was on I75 in Sarasota and a black sedan clipped me in about the same place on my car. Unfortunately the car ran and due to heavy traffic I lost sight of it. I had my car for less than 2 weeks. All beautifully repaired now.[/QUOTE

Does one have to have Sentry in the on mode all the time? does it run out of space? How do you view or retreive the clips?

thanks

s

They punish them because they become a higher risk .. drivers who cause accidents are higher risk, and that's what the insurance business is all about .. minimizing risk.

It is clearly insurance fraud. You can report it here

This is a Right of way violation:
Right of Way - Suspect driver appears to give right-of-way to victim driver, usually in an intersection, causing vehicles to collide; suspect later claims no right-of-way was offered.

The Fraud Division is charged with enforcing the provisions of Chapter 12 of the California Insurance Code, commonly referred to as the "Insurance Frauds Prevention Act," California Penal Code, Sections 549-550 and California Labor Code, Section 3700.5. Current law requires the Fraud Division to investigate various felony provisions of the Penal and Insurance Codes. Most often, investigations conducted by the Fraud Division involve some aspect of a "Suspected Fraudulent Claim" or other related crimes.

Cases investigated by the Fraud Division most often involve criminal acts involving automobile property and personal injury, workers' compensation, health insurance and residential and commercial property claims. Some examples of the types of insurance fraud that are investigated include:

California and federal laws also permit the Fraud Division to pursue its cases federally. In those instances, the crime of "insurance fraud" is usually pursued as "mail fraud," "criminal racketeering" or other federal offenses.

What is Insurance Fraud?