Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saved dashcam not accessible

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
2021M3. I was in a minor fender-bender 2 days ago (details not important). I pulled over and beeped my horn to save the footage (probably a minute or so after). I can access the dashcam footage from just before and just after the accident, but the supposed saved files are corrupt. All the other files are MP4 using around 38,000 KB of data. THe "saved" files are listed as MP4's but only at 1KB. Is there any way to retrieve these files? I've tried to use CC cleaner and disk drill to no avail. I think if I never "saved" them I would be able to access them. Super-frustrating because it would prove I'm not at fault. Anyone else with this issue? Any suggestions?

2021M3. I was in a minor fender-bender 2 days ago (details not important). I pulled over and beeped my horn to save the footage (probably a minute or so after). I can access the dashcam footage from just before and just after the accident, but the supposed saved files are corrupt. All the other files are MP4 using around 38,000 KB of data. THe "saved" files are listed as MP4's but only at 1KB. Is there any way to retrieve these files? I've tried to use CC cleaner and disk drill to no avail. I think if I never "saved" them I would be able to access them. Super-frustrating because it would prove I'm not at fault. Anyone else with this issue? Any suggestions?
Did you hold the dashcam icon to pause recording, wait until it turned gray, before disconnecting? That is the way to safely remove the drive. Otherwise it may corrupt if it was moving files while you disconnected the drive.
Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla

For deleted files, I had success recovering using Recuva:
Dashcam in Auto

I didn't hold the dashcam icon, but I didn't pull the drive until around 10-15 minutes after the accident. There's recording after the saved files. I tried Recuva (CC Cleaner) but no luck unfortunately.

Did you hold the dashcam icon to pause recording, wait until it turned gray, before disconnecting? That is the way to safely remove the drive. Otherwise it may corrupt if it was moving files while you disconnected the drive.
Model S Owner's Manual | Tesla

For deleted files, I had success recovering using Recuva:
Dashcam in Auto
If you have the dashcam icon in your launch bar, I think holding that only puts the launch bar into customize mode. I think you have to hold the Dashcam button in the Controls screen to turn off recording and safely remove the drive.