Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saving and Rolling with a Tesla Sedan

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

I think the article is bit misleading. I love tesla, but he doesn't mention MS's mandatory $475/yr maintenance, which is more expensive than maintenance for my Camry hybrid. In fact, maintenance is free the first 2 years. My past car was a Honda Accord, and owned it for 16 years. minimal maintenance cost the first 10 years and then few $1000 after that. NOT $2000/yr as he states. perhaps he owned a very expensive car that broke down all the time, but most cars don't cost that much to maintain--so his point is bit misleading.

The S is not comparable to a Camry or Accord in any way. It's not comparable to whatever 20 MPG ICE the author is driving, either. If you want to compare maintenance costs to an ICE, it should at least be with a new car in the same class: BMW 5 Series, MB E Class, or Audit A7, for example. You could also compare it to other EVs. That would be relevant to the broader audience. When comparing the maintenance cost of an S to our previously driven ICE makes and models of various ages, it makes the comparison relevant only to the person that owned that specific vehicle. It's not very helpful to the maintenance cost debate, which has been done to death with lots of valid points of view in other threads.

The S is not comparable to a Camry or Accord in any way. It's not comparable to whatever 20 MPG ICE the author is driving, either. If you want to compare maintenance costs to an ICE, it should at least be with a new car in the same class: BMW 5 Series, MB E Class, or Audit A7, for example. You could also compare it to other EVs. That would be relevant to the broader audience. When comparing the maintenance cost of an S to our previously driven ICE makes and models of various ages, it makes the comparison relevant only to the person that owned that specific vehicle. It's not very helpful to the maintenance cost debate, which has been done to death with lots of valid points of view in other threads.

Yes, agreed. We have plenty of debate on that already. You can find the thread here (and contribute!): Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB))