TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Saving and Rolling with a Tesla Sedan

Discussion in 'Model S: Ordering, Production, Delivery' started by Owner, Jan 27, 2013.

1. jchangyy

jchangyy Member

I think the article is bit misleading. I love tesla, but he doesn't mention MS's mandatory $475/yr maintenance, which is more expensive than maintenance for my Camry hybrid. In fact, maintenance is free the first 2 years. My past car was a Honda Accord, and owned it for 16 years. minimal maintenance cost the first 10 years and then few $1000 after that. NOT $2000/yr as he states. perhaps he owned a very expensive car that broke down all the time, but most cars don't cost that much to maintain--so his point is bit misleading.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Maintenance is never free, it is just included in the cost is the car.

3. jchangyy

jchangyy Member

true...but it's still lot cheaper than MS, which still charges me additional maintenance fee for an electric car that is suppose to be light on maintenance...

4. Beavis

Beavis Signature 991

The S is not comparable to a Camry or Accord in any way. It's not comparable to whatever 20 MPG ICE the author is driving, either. If you want to compare maintenance costs to an ICE, it should at least be with a new car in the same class: BMW 5 Series, MB E Class, or Audit A7, for example. You could also compare it to other EVs. That would be relevant to the broader audience. When comparing the maintenance cost of an S to our previously driven ICE makes and models of various ages, it makes the comparison relevant only to the person that owned that specific vehicle. It's not very helpful to the maintenance cost debate, which has been done to death with lots of valid points of view in other threads.

5. Raven

Raven Member

+1. Tesla is trying to keep that base price down, otherwise I'd expect they'd bury the cost in the purchase price also.

6. bonnie

bonnie Oil is for sissies.

Yes, agreed. We have plenty of debate on that already. You can find the thread here (and contribute!): Warranty/Servicing - official Tesla responses (incl GeorgeB))

7. Al Sherman

Al Sherman It's about THIS car.

Yeah, Me too. Plus guys like me who decide with their feelings and experience which can sometimes feel less subjective than number crunching think Tesla's deal is phenominal and groundbreaking.