Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saving DashCam footage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I am also having considerable frustration with the operation of this "dashcam". My understanding so far, is that nothing is actually saved to the flash drive unless you either honk the horn, or manually tap the dashcam icon on the screen and select save. Is this correct? If so, then this "dashcam" does not function like any other dashcam I have ever owned, which all continually save video clips to onboard storage while driving.

I am also having considerable frustration with the operation of this "dashcam". My understanding so far, is that nothing is actually saved to the flash drive unless you either honk the horn, or manually tap the dashcam icon on the screen and select save. Is this correct? If so, then this "dashcam" does not function like any other dashcam I have ever owned, which all continually save video clips to onboard storage while driving.

@ChopinBlues this "dashcam" is a clever reuse of the cameras that are already on your vehicle to support Autopilot and FSD. It's not meant to be a full dashcam replacement--for example, it doesn't record audio like a dashcam you might buy in a store and mount in your vehicle. However, it's there, and is always recording, but in a short buffer (I believe it's a 1 hour loop) that will continuously overwrite itself. So right now it's recording and overwriting the segment from a hour ago now. And in 10 seconds it will be overwriting the segment from 1 hour ago from 10 seconds from now. And so on. You can override this by tapping the button or honking the horn (if you have the latter enabled in settings) and it will save you a 10 min clip of that buffer.

Newer firmware versions also introduced an optional auto mode. If in auto mode, not only does it save a clip if you tap the button, or honk the horn (if enabled), but also if it detects a significant safety event like an accident.