Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

saw a mustang ev on road today- YUKKKK what a disgrace to mustang!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

meomyo

Nov 30, 2017
colorado
I noticed the mustang logo on the read and thought- what the hec...4 door mustang that looks like a kia suv?? and i saw the screen and no exhaust with new reg paper plates. I was sadened that the mustang name is on this fugly thing. Sure they will release a GT VERSIOn thats sports i guess that will likely look better but wow why would anyone buy this mustang suv ev? Its gross.

I noticed the mustang logo on the read and thought- what the hec...4 door mustang that looks like a kia suv?? and i saw the screen and no exhaust with new reg paper plates. I was sadened that the mustang name is on this fugly thing. Sure they will release a GT VERSIOn thats sports i guess that will likely look better but wow why would anyone buy this mustang suv ev? Its gross.
Just curious what are you driving?

It confounds me how often corporations will dilute their brand names and message by trying to instantly boost a new product and capitalize on a known brand
Mustang=muscle car/sports car
Whether or not this EV is a good car, USE A DIFFERENT NAME and build a new brand and message instead of muddying what you have built up and implemented for decades

That said, I think they are ugly similar to the model y.. Design is subjective.
Design is verrrrrrry subjective if there are actually people on this planet who think the MME is ugly compared to the MY. Stubby little hood, bubble roofline fitted onto an M3 wheel base, wedge’d like a Prius.

My hypothesis: I think a lot of Tesla enthusiasts like the looks of the MY not just because of tribalism, but because it fits into their fantasy of their car joining a fleet of robo-taxis. The MY’s bland “understated” styling is exactly what you would expect a robo-taxi to look like! So the MY does have that going for it.....

For some reason every time I look at the front of a MME, I see a big nose clown face (depending on the color). I just can’t unsee it. Yeah...I’m weird.

Attachments

• 857291C1-5636-448D-93DC-23D112EC752A.jpeg
    857291C1-5636-448D-93DC-23D112EC752A.jpeg
    201.6 KB · Views: 73
People will buy it because it’s a reasonably priced, well apportioned, SUV crossover with significant brand recognition.
I'm not so sure it is reasonably priced in Canada.

Premium AWD extended MSRP is $71,245 + Fees and Taxes = $80,507 CDN
GT Performance MSRP is $82,995 + Taxes = $93,784.35

That is a lot of money for a non-premium/luxury manufacture that isn't Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. IMHO $80K for a Ford that isn't an F series truck is asking a lot. Maybe I'm wrong.

I'm not so sure it is reasonably priced in Canada.

Premium AWD extended MSRP is $71,245 + Fees and Taxes = $80,507 CDN
GT Performance MSRP is $82,995 + Taxes = $93,784.35

That is a lot of money for a non-premium/luxury manufacture that isn't Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, etc. IMHO $80K for a Ford that isn't an F series truck is asking a lot. Maybe I'm wrong.
No offense, but I don’t think the Canadian market is the target for any mustang. In the US, pricing starts in the mid-30’s after rebates.

It confounds me how often corporations will dilute their brand names and message by trying to instantly boost a new product and capitalize on a known brand
Mustang=muscle car/sports car
Whether or not this EV is a good car, USE A DIFFERENT NAME and build a new brand and message instead of muddying what you have built up and implemented for decades
Kind sir, you overlook the long history, including the origin story, of the Mustang. There were already muscle cars and sports cars at the time, selling in typical niche volumes. What made the Mustang famous (like 500K units /yr famous) was it inventing the pony car, an affordable 2-dr coupe that was sporty yet just roomy enough backseat to haul a family around. Yes, it's endured for its muscle car trims and variants, but the Mustang has been reinvented a couple times. Pull up a pic of one of the awful '74-79 models for reference.

As a former owner of two '60's Mustangs including a Mach 1, long ago when they were just used, not classic, I applaud their attempts to reinvent the brand, if it can help popularize sporty but affordable EV's for the masses.

Reactions: Big Earl and Ocelot
Thanks for letting me know. What a BEAUTIFUL car. I am going to run out right now and buy one :)

Reactions: FordMME and T-Mom
To each their own. I personally think it is a great looking design and I'm not some Mustang purist so I don't care for them "diluting" the brand. There are other reasons why I won't pick one up at the moment but looks are definitely not one of the reasons.
Agree. I’m not looking at a CUV but at that price range you really only have two CUV EV options today in the US - MachE and Model Y. While Tesla’s excel in MANY areas I find that the exterior aesthetics of the Mach E are leeps and bounds better in person than the Model Y )and X for that matter). And this is coming from a M3P owner.

BUT I am not a fan of CUV’s thus it’s still a No for me Dawg.

Reactions: FordMME
Would be a fun YouTube experiment to take a MY and a MME, remove/hide all the branding, and poll 100 random people on the street as to which one looks better. I’ll even spot Tesla a uniform color like white or black for both cars, because putting up a drab MY against my Grabber Blue wouldn’t even be remotely fair. I still think the MME would win at least 70-30.

• Funny
Reactions: Mr X and BooMan
Have only seen like 6 Mach-E's this year so far. One was a grabber blue. The guy drove by and gave me a thumbs up. Blue crew

Would be a fun YouTube experiment to take a MY and a MME, remove/hide all the branding, and poll 100 random people on the street as to which one looks better. I’ll even spot Tesla a uniform color like white or black for both cars, because putting up a drab MY against my Grabber Blue wouldn’t even be remotely fair. I still think the MME would win at least 70-30.

Your blue vs. my blue! :cool:

gWBlJ1M.jpg

A better YouTube experiment would be to give random people a day to try each vehicle. I still think the Tesla would win at least 70-30.

I may be an outlier but I am far from impressed by the looks of the model Y