TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Saw a "P" Icon Appear Briefly on Display - What's That?

Discussion in 'Model X: User Interface' started by JenkinsEar, Jan 16, 2020.

1. JenkinsEar

JenkinsEar Member

Saw a square icon containing a "P" appear very briefly, just to the right of the car image on the heads up display. It showed twice within about 30 seconds. I could see nothing special about traffic, my lane position, obstacles, etc. I don't remember having ever seen that before (in two years).

What's my Model X trying to tell me?

2. woof

woof Fluffy Member

That you can engage auto-park. The "P" indicates where it thinks a parking space may be. It's not always right.

3. woof

woof Fluffy Member

4. JenkinsEar

JenkinsEar Member

What a hoot! i was going 45 on 2-lane street packed both ways by commuters!

Thanks for the info.

• Like x 1
  5. Padelford

Padelford Supporting Member

Autopark used to go off all the time when I was stopped at a two+ lane stop light while I was in the left lane and traffic was stopped in the right lane. There was no gap into which I could possibly "auto-park". Under 2019.40.2.1, that problem has just about disappeared.

6. doghousePVD

doghousePVD My grandfather’s car

Note sometimes the P is to back in park, not parallel. Therefore the open slot is much smaller than you expect. I don't use autopark very often. It's often wrong and always slow. It gets confused when other traffic is still moving. A few days ago it parallel parked me three feet off the curb. It never comes close to hitting anything, in my experience.

7. Need

Need Active Member

Whenever I see the P showing up at a traffic light, I have this urge to engage autopark to freak out the other cars. :D