Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw a "P" Icon Appear Briefly on Display - What's That?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saw a square icon containing a "P" appear very briefly, just to the right of the car image on the heads up display. It showed twice within about 30 seconds. I could see nothing special about traffic, my lane position, obstacles, etc. I don't remember having ever seen that before (in two years).

What's my Model X trying to tell me?

autop.png

Autopark used to go off all the time when I was stopped at a two+ lane stop light while I was in the left lane and traffic was stopped in the right lane. There was no gap into which I could possibly "auto-park". Under 2019.40.2.1, that problem has just about disappeared.

Note sometimes the P is to back in park, not parallel. Therefore the open slot is much smaller than you expect. I don't use autopark very often. It's often wrong and always slow. It gets confused when other traffic is still moving. A few days ago it parallel parked me three feet off the curb. It never comes close to hitting anything, in my experience.