Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw a Performance Dual Motor Model 3 today at the track!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA for a track day today. When I arrived, there were 4 Model 3S with manufacturer plates on them. One in particular had 20" wheels with Michelin Pilot sports, and *huge* brake rotors. I snuck my camera under the front wheel and caught a photo of the front CV axle, showing it to be dual motor. This was certainly a PD Model 3!

I would have taken more pictures, but we went in for the drivers meeting, and when we got back out, they had all left.

This thing looks like it will be a beast!

Attachments

• 20180328_080501.jpg
    20180328_080501.jpg
    327.6 KB · Views: 1,522
I'm at Thunderhill Raceway in Willows, CA for a track day today. When I arrived, there were 4 Model 3S with manufacturer plates on them. One in particular had 20" wheels with Michelin Pilot sports, and *huge* brake rotors. I snuck my camera under the front wheel and caught a photo of the front CV axle, showing it to be dual motor. This was certainly a PD Model 3!

I would have taken more pictures, but we went in for the drivers meeting, and when we got back out, they had all left.

Meeting, schmeeting.

Would of skipped all that to those babies in action.

Great to see it coming closer to reality.

Priorities man! :p

Air suspension too, btw...

All D's will be P's?! And miss out on the extra $20K for the P? :D

You know there is exactly no chance of D==P being true!

I think it makes sense for all D's to be P's unless P's also have bigger brakes. So you buy a D now and a year down the road decide to unlock the extra power for $20k-ish. Less for Tesla to manage on the assembly line. Heck i think they should just make one car that you can just unlock a bunch of stuff on - Make them all big battery that can be limited to standard or unlocked to performance. This would also allow more options/revenue after resale for Tesla and consumer.

Reactions: tanner
I think it makes sense for all D's to be P's unless P's also have bigger brakes. So you buy a D now and a year down the road decide to unlock the extra power for $20k-ish. Less for Tesla to manage on the assembly line. Heck i think they should just make one car that you can just unlock a bunch of stuff on - Make them all big battery that can be limited to standard or unlocked to performance. This would also allow more options/revenue after resale for Tesla and consumer.
Ps are extremely likely to be required to order "fully loaded" with hardware options, including air suspension, perhaps those larger brakes, extra rubber, to better utilize the extra power it can put on the road. The P stands for premium, not performance. ;)

That's not an "uncork". Just as you can't software upgrade a Model S 100D to a P100D.

Last edited:
Ps are extremely to be required to order "fully loaded" with hardware options, including air suspension, perhaps those larger brakes, extra, to better utilize the extra power it can put on the road. The P stands for premium, not performance. ;)

That's not an "uncork". Just as you can't software upgrade a Model S 100D to a P100D.

I agree with you. As I typed the previous comment I saw there were many flaws lol! But maybe that concept can still be used to some capacity. Who know's, I'm just thinking out loud.

Reactions: ℬête Noire

Red calipers?

There would be industries devoted to hacking Tesla's to unlock them. They already exist even for just batteries unlocks right now.

You'd have complete dumbazz turds that turn on everything, take their car into Tesla and complain when warranty was violated.

Then they would complain - I PAID for this object and all of its included components car so i am entitled to everything it is capable of.

You know not what you ask for...

Reactions: Brando
Possible, being some sort of hand assembled prototype, that the outside facing is coloured different than the backside?

Maybe so. When I saw the car earlier, I could have sworn the calipers were not red. Maybe they painted the outside (grey, I think) in order to not have it be so obvious.

I tried to go over to the west track just now, but there is a sign saying "closed for private event". I did talk with one of the guys and he just smiled and shrugged his shoulders when I guessed what they were doing and what that particular 3 had under the bodywork.