Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw a Performance Dual Motor Model 3 today at the track!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there any Supercharger at the Thunderhill Raceway Park???

Otherwise, I would camp at the 'Corning' Supercharger, 35 miles north, to take a pick of those beasts!

View attachment 290072

You want to see them up close? Here's my suggestion:

The Thunderhill calendar says there is a "Private Event" at the 2-mile track today and tomorrow. That means they will almost certainly be there tomorrow as well. Go there very early in the morning... Like 7am. Then go find the electrical outlets situated between the two covered areas. They will very likely be there charging. The PD version was black with 20 inch stiletto wheels. Take a bunch of pictures and post them here.

There may be a guy at the gate. Just tell him you are there to observe the event at the 3-mile track (which is where the plugs are anyway).

The Thunderhill calendar says there is a "Private Event" at the 2-mile track today and tomorrow. That means they will almost certainly be there tomorrow as well. Go there very early in the morning... Like 7am. Then go find the electrical outlets situated between the two covered areas. They will very likely be there charging. The PD version was black with 20 inch stiletto wheels. Take a bunch of pictures and post them here.

There may be a guy at the gate. Just tell him you are there to observe the event at the 3-mile track (which is where the plugs are anyway).

You should go you owe us those pictures :p

Thank you for posting this steams. It's the best Tesla news I've seen in awhile. I'm a little over 3 weeks after configuring but I still don't regret my decision to pull the trigger now. I think we are about 8 months out from being able to order Performance and I plan to trade in my first production car when it is available. Can't wait for the reveal of specs!

Sounds like we have a volunteer to carry out this mission.

Link your GoFundMe for doughnuts, coffee and possible trespassing fines.

Pretty sure performance version will only be avail with dual motors.

That will make it easy to beat the BMW M3 for handling.

Then obviously acceleration will be better than the BMW M3..

And then you take into account that the BMW M3 base is $67k...

You quickly realize that the BMW is going to get humiliated by this. I think sales are going to collapse.

We get ruffled when the anti-Tesla crowd makes baseless doom and gloom statements against Tesla. No need to reciprocate.

The Model 3P is going to be an amazing car and I'm going to buy one, but nobody in their right mind would suggest its going to out-handle a BMW M3. Nobody who's done an honest price analysis is planning to save a ton of money on a P vs the BMW either.

I completely agree. When you start adding the cost of the D, and if D=/=P and P costs more too, you’re dangerously close to Model S price territory.

Sure close or the same as a base Model S 75 but the 3 will have significantly more range, outhandle the Model S and absolutely obliterate it in a straight line. For those who care about performance (like me) it is much preferable to pay $75k than $140k. Plus to me nimble handling is important in a performance sedan and no Model S has that.

Reactions: Msjulie and MP3Mike
Just pointing out... Tesla's web site right now says the Model S is 0.23.

You correctly point out the page where they say it's 0.24. Which is it?

This is as bad as the shennigans they have over the 0-60 times of their cars. For example they say the S100D is 4.1, but it has been measured as fast as 3.6. The figures on the pages of CPO cars don't get updated.
The higher figure may be for the original front end, lower may be for the refresh.

Reactions: e-FTW and scaesare
We get ruffled when the anti-Tesla crowd makes baseless doom and gloom statements against Tesla. No need to reciprocate.

The Model 3P is going to be an amazing car and I'm going to buy one, but nobody in their right mind would suggest its going to out-handle a BMW M3. Nobody who's done an honest price analysis is planning to save a ton of money on a P vs the BMW either.

How do you know it won’t have M3 level handling? My guess is that it will.

Fixed it for you. I would rather have fully loaded P/D Model 3 that would have better performance, longer range, and overall smaller more nimble car than a base Model S.
I wouldn't be surprised if the top of the line 3 exceeds the price of the base S. BWM M3 exceeds base of a 5-series. The smaller AMG was more expensive than the next size up (sorry, it was a while since I shopped Mercedes so I don't recall models).

Depending on what your looking for, either one of them may make sense.

I wouldn't be surprised if the top of the line 3 exceeds the price of the base S. BWM M3 exceeds base of a 5-series. The smaller AMG was more expensive than the next size up (sorry, it was a while since I shopped Mercedes so I don't recall models).

Depending on what your looking for, either one of them may make sense.
Oh, I'm sure it will and completely expect it to. And I am totally fine with that. I much rather prefer smaller cars anyways.

Reactions: T34ME
Oh, I'm sure it will and completely expect it to. And I am totally fine with that. I much rather prefer smaller cars anyways.
Agree for a performance car. I do like the S much more than I expected, great family car. However, I would not get a second S with the 3 available. Nor would I sell my S to get a 3. And if (when) I were to have an S & 3, I would only consider the performance version on the 3. It would be a great car.

I had a e36 M3 and it was a nice size. New tires every 9-10k miles was the downside.

View attachment 290084
Just pointing out... Tesla's web site right now says the Model S is 0.23.

You correctly point out the page where they say it's 0.24. Which is it?

This is as bad as the shennigans they have over the 0-60 times of their cars. For example they say the S100D is 4.1, but it has been measured as fast as 3.6. The figures on the pages of CPO cars don't get updated.

Even with the same Cd, the 3 has less frontal cross sectional area than the S, so less drag.