Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw a Rivian R1T in the wild.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So.. last night Friday, 9/3/21 at about 9:30pm I saw an actual Rivian R1T on the 405 freeway. I was traveling northbound coming “down the hill” between Sunset and the 101 interchange when I saw this unfamiliar shape in the distance ahead of me. It had a gorgeous red light bar. Bright as hell, at first I thought I was looking at a CyberTruck pre-production but noticed the taillight bar was much thicker and the red was constant throughout - kind of like the frosted effect that new BMW’s have.

As I got closer I realized that it was a Rivian R1T. This guy had it wrapped in a grey/blue camo pattern with some type of custom logo on the door and hood (probably a shop/business). As I passed it I noticed the headlights and light bar on the front. The truck was much larger than I thought it would be. It almost looked as big as a full size P/U but not quite.
Pretty cool!

So.. last night Friday, 9/3/21 at about 9:30pm I saw an actual Rivian R1T on the 405 freeway. I was traveling northbound coming “down the hill” between Sunset and the 101 interchange when I saw this unfamiliar shape in the distance ahead of me. It had a gorgeous red light bar. Bright as hell, at first I thought I was looking at a CyberTruck pre-production but noticed the taillight bar was much thicker and the red was constant throughout - kind of like the frosted effect that new BMW’s have.

As I got closer I realized that it was a Rivian R1T. This guy had it wrapped in a grey/blue camo pattern with some type of custom logo on the door and hood (probably a shop/business). As I passed it I noticed the headlights and light bar on the front. The truck was much larger than I thought it would be. It almost looked as big as a full size P/U but not quite.
Pretty cool!
That is really cool and I bet it fit in well as I lived in that area for a while and loved cruising there. The R1T is really enticing, especially given the poorly-timed announcement of the CT being delayed even further when the Rivian’s EPA was announced.

And the R1T looks really nice, too.

Reactions: ScoobyDoo82
That’s a factory test car. Customer deliveries haven’t started. It’s pretty impressive. 314 mile EPA range was just announced. I have an R1S reservation.
It had new registration paper plates. Seen another one yesterday. That’s two different models on two different days. I think early pre-orders began delivery in California already.

It had new registration paper plates. Seen another one yesterday. That’s two different models on two different days. I think early pre-orders began delivery in California already.
Interesting. I haven’t heard of any deliveries from Rivian or the Rivian forums. I would think they would have made a big deal about it. Maybe an employee? Can text cars eventually be registered? The gray blue camo sounds exactly like one of the test vehicles they had.

Pretty cool!
Seems Rivians are about 7,000 lbs = +3 metric tons. should know by the end of the year, right?

I'm not driving a lot and I still see the pickup and SUV in the Silicon Valley area. Here's the SUV in front of me ~1 month ago.

Rivian_r1t_jul28.jpg

Saw two Rivian mules on Wednesday

I saw one on Friday on the 395 headed up to Reno, it was a manufacturing prototype. I talked to the driver (Rivian employee), he kindly requested I didn't take any pictures of the inside and out of respect for his job and the company I won't provide any further details except to say he was extremely nice and the truck looks quite promising.

I see them in Irvine quite often now, saw one on my way to work today.

Not exactly in the wild but at their Myford Rd location. That's a crap load of L2 charges there but you have to be an employee and register your plate

Attachments

• PXL_20211020_145219518.jpg
    PXL_20211020_145219518.jpg
    450.2 KB · Views: 62
  • PXL_20211020_145208242.jpg
    PXL_20211020_145208242.jpg
    568.9 KB · Views: 54
  • PXL_20211020_145239098.jpg
    PXL_20211020_145239098.jpg
    546.5 KB · Views: 62
I traded my Model 3 Performance with FSD beta in on a Rivian R1T so 10.13 will be the the first version in a long long of versions that I'll have no first hand account of.

I rarely used FSD beta because I simply wasn't the right kind of person to do so.

I stopped reporting issues because they never responded to any questions or concerns. There was never the satisfaction of reporting a problem, and seeing the problem get fixed. Even a maps only fixes would have allowed me to use it more especially if it would stop it from putting on the turn signals in a corner.

I also rarely had the opportunity to use it because there is almost always someone behind me or someone I have to watch out for when it takes a corner. It was just too stressful to bother with.

When I debated about which vehicle to trade in for the Rivian the AP/FSD stuff didn't factor in. There just wasn't a feeling that it was really going anywhere. I'm sure it will get better as the months drag on, but it was never going to be what I wanted it to be. I wanted something that would make sure I was in the correct lane, and always interpreted an intersection correctly. It could still be L2 and provide a lot of value to me, but even NoA didn't meet my expectations.

Mostly I'll miss the road handling characteristics of a Model 3 performance driven manually. But, a lot of that was ruined by increasingly bad roads. It's to the point where I need a rally car with a full size spare.

Maybe in a few years Tesla will have a Model Y with L3 or L4 highway driving that will appeal to me.
I'm seeing more Rivian's on the road in SoCal. How do you like your new truck?