Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw one in Colorado

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My prius has a backup camera too, it's more of a matter of getting comfortable with the perceived distances in the view. My Prius also doesn't have those guiding lines... Are those accurate as to where the corners of your vehicle will be or are just lines for the heck of it like in some vehicles?
I have a Prius and a Model S. THe difference with the Prius is that the guiding lines on the Model S screen move as you turn the steering wheel, giving you instant feedback what your traject will be, with very high precision.

Well crap, I was planning to stop by Silverthorn just to see if one was around Thursday on my way back from the rivers. Decided to just continue on since I figured it was one in a million a 3 would be there. Guess my odds would have been better.

Regarding the open windows, do you think they are test driving the cars without AC to get a sample reading of range with the AC off? I know the Tesla's S webpage has that Range Per Charge animation that let's you calculate based on various aspects including AC off.

Leaving the windows open at speed would hurt the range, though. So they wouldn't get a good number with the AC off unless they also kept the windows closed.

Reactions: SMAlset
19622757_446714669045889_6320397860462395392_n-jpg.233475

View attachment 233537
Thanks. I knew that wasn't Colorado but it looked familiar. We charged there and spent the night there last July but it was dark so I didn't remember the wall.

That dude has a hell of a lot more confidence in reverse than I do. I'll need to get some practice before I take delivery of a Model 3.

He backed that thing in like a boss! I'm a "slow backer" lol.

For what it's worth, as I begin the first of my two derailing posts in this thread: I exclusively use my side mirrors to back up. It's actually much easier than the rearview (central) mirror, which is a big fat liar of where your car is.

The way I think about: if my wheels are straight, I just "draw" a straight line behind my car's back panels. That's what I'll hit if I keep going. If there is nothing behind the panels, I'm golden and can nestle into a spot as fast as my foot can go. Through this, I've cut inside 1-2" of obstacles with ease; people in the car do get antsy when I get close, hahaha, but the method works flawlessly. The mirrors themselves do stick out a few inches, but you'll know as you get closer if anything's going to hit the mirrors and can turn to adjust as needed.

--

But, right. Backup cams have made it a lost art; my brother won't back into a spot unless the car has the camera, haha.

I'm assuming from this video and your description that you have a dashcam that runs all the time. If that's true, do you not have any concern about constantly drawing the 12V power even if the car sits unused for several days?

@David99 @gabeincal what constant power source did you tap in to for your dashcam to be active all the time?

Yes! I do this, too. FWIW, it's usually called "parking mode" on dashcams. You can often set how long you want the cameras to stay running or set a 12V+ battery cutoff voltage. Running traditional lead acids too low or cycling too much can cause issues in the long-run (Tesla's 12V battery issues are a perfect example, but it's possible with dashcams in normal cars, too).

On the power source: I tapped into my hazard light fuses, as they were one of the few fuses that had power while the car was off.

My battery died once because my parking mode cutoff device had a manufacturing defect. I went overkill (but I also never wanted to deal with a dead battery again): I bought a deep-cycle AGM battery (Tesla uses these, too, now) and a dedicated battery for the dashcam; neither are needed for parking mode, though.

Instagram post by David Hofmann • Jun 30, 2017 at 2:55am UTC

I wasn't there when he pulled in but the dash cam captured it. When I came back he had it all covered and would not let anyone see it.

I like the aero wheels a lot.

He was not supposed to say anything about the car and I can only imagine how annoying it must be being asked a million questions where ever he is so I didn't push.

Feel free to share the video as long as you give me credit.

Why do so many Model 3's seen have the windows open:confused:?
I hope they aren't having a problem with the new ventilation :(
New ventilation ?What do you think about that?