Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw the New Nissan Leaf 2nd Gen - Not a bad car at all...

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I was wondering around Ginza the other day and walked into the Nissan Building and wow, I didn't know the 2018 Nissan Leaf redesign was out!

I know comparing the Leaf to Model 3 is like, comparing an apple with uh... cantaloupe, but...

The styling was not bad (compared to the previous Leaf which looked like a frog).
  • had some "proPilot" which is just assistance
  • Hatch styling which may make it easier to load/unload more
  • 150 miles (they are claiming they'll offer a bigger battery a year from now?)
I still feel if budget is a concern and you just need a commuter of less than 100 miles, this may be the smartest car to buy....

But I think I'll hold my pre-order. To think you can pay $10-20k more to have a car with self-driving, more range and of course the great brand image.

IMG_2543.JPG
Saw it in the wild.

I just bought (2) 2017 Nissan leafs
$32k sticker - $10k dealer incentive -$7.5k fed rebate = $14,5k

I charge to about 120 every morning. Let's call it a practical 100 miles.

Great inter city car. Hatchback, etc.

I honestly do not understand how everyone is not buying them (just even as a second car). I think when fed rebate runs out I could flip it for a profit (last sentence is a stretch, but you get the idea).

Reactions: suwaneedad
I just bought (2) 2017 Nissan leafs
$32k sticker - $10k dealer incentive -$7.5k fed rebate = $14,5k

I charge to about 120 every morning. Let's call it a practical 100 miles.

Great inter city car. Hatchback, etc.

I honestly do not understand how everyone is not buying them (just even as a second car). I think when fed rebate runs out I could flip it for a profit (last sentence is a stretch, but you get the idea).

I don't see the incentive you're posting. I see a $10,000 incentive which included the $7,500 federal tax incentive plus $4,000 from Nissan financing. Can you provide a link to $10,000 dealer incentive?

Looks better than a Bolt and if it’s anything like the previous Leaf inside, more comfortable
I agree, to me it is more attractive than the Bolt. I’m glad to see Nissan has re-styled the Leaf, I think the new look will have greater appeal and the larger battery of course makes it more functional. But I don’t think it is sufficient to make the car a success in the market, unfortunately. With about 150 miles of range for $30K (base), is that a low enough price to compete against the 239 mile range of the $37.5K Bolt and the 210 mile base range of the $35K Model 3?

Certainly the new Leaf will sell, but I fear only in modest quantities. If Tesla was producing 10,000 Model 3’s a week right now I think the new Leaf would fail. But we are probably at least a year away from that kind of Model 3 production volume. So that will help Nissan.

I honestly do not understand how everyone is not buying them (just even as a second car).

Because I only buy cars that are an overall improvement over what I have, and the Leaf is not.

Main requirement for anything I'm going to daily drive: Must completely handle stop and go traffic without me needing to touch the pedals or tell it to resume. Leaf will stop, but not resume. There are a litany of other reasons I won't personally buy it (it's front wheel drive, it's too slow, it's a weirdo derp pod), but I hope they sell a hell of a lot of them.

Looks better than a Bolt and if it’s anything like the previous Leaf inside, more comfortable

Nissan brought one of these new Leafs to a National Drive Electric Week event in September. The interior is higher quality than the Bolt. Lots of soft touch materials, quite dramatic contrast to the hard plastic everything in the Bolt. Seats were much better too.

• Informative
Reactions: internalaudit