Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw this hole in my front bumper

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
While cleaning my car after a touch less car wash, I noticed this hole on my front bumper. It looks like something from the inside poked this hole out. Definitely does not look like a rock chip issue. I’m super pissed. Less than 2000 miles on the car and only local driving.

Do you guys know what might have caused this? Does opening a service ticket help or they will just direct me to an auto body shop and have me replace the bumper at May own expense. View attachment 809939
Check your wheel well liner. I suspect a tire threw some road hazard up through the liner and bumper.

Reactions: aerodyne
Sorry about this… Really a bummer for your brand new car.
I’d look in the driver side wheel well to see if there is a corresponding hole there. From the angle, it looks like there could have been something picked up by the tire at high speed a released at the top of wheel’s spin. If you think about it, the bottom of the tire is stopped relative to the ground and the top of the wheel is moving twice as fast as the car. So if a rock was Picked up at the bottom of the spin, and released at the top, it is essentially a projectile moving at twice the speed of the car (or relative to the car, it is moving at the speed of the car forward). So you were probably very unlucky to get a projectile lodged in the tire that then got loose at high speed and was thrown forward by the tire into the wheel well and right through the front of your car.
Or maybe it was aliens. Either way, sorry you have to deal with it.

I believe the bullet entered through an open back window, hit the centre headrest and continued to your front passenger armrest at approximately the place where a person would put their wrist. It then exited the armrest, took a 90 degree turn in mid-air and continued through your front bumper. “Down and to the left. Down and to the left.” Only problem is that no one believes there was only one shooter…

Mystery SOLVED!

Over the long weekend I went over the days of Dashcam footage and found that, while my car is parked, another Tesla model 3 backed up and hit my car at an angle. Looks like this make the car front bumper go in and something from the inside poked that hole on the bumper. Unfortunately, since the car was backing up at an angle making the turn, their registration was not visible. Alos, the sun was shining directly on the cam, so the video is not that clear.

Thanks for all the theories expressed in solving this issue guys!

Mystery SOLVED!

Over the long weekend I went over the days of Dashcam footage and found that, while my car is parked, another Tesla model 3 backed up and hit my car at an angle. Looks like this make the car front bumper go in and something from the inside poked that hole on the bumper. Unfortunately, since the car was backing up at an angle making the turn, their registration was not visible. Alos, the sun was shining directly on the cam, so the video is not that clear.

Thanks for all the theories expressed in solving this issue guys!
My Jeep would have slammed on the brakes before I hit another car. Too bad it wasn’t a car with more advanced tech.

• Funny
Reactions: SoCal Buzz
My Jeep would have slammed on the brakes before I hit another car. Too bad it wasn’t a car with more advanced tech.
It was at an odd angle. Probably the reason why the sensors didn't pick it up. Or may be they did and it was a little too late for the driver. I know it sux for me, but it was not that hard of an impact. As you can see from the pctures, there was no other damage other than the hole. Looks like the plastic bumper went in with the impact and got poked by a something sharp from the insde and popped back out.