Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saw this trailer of Model 3s and MSs just now

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SMAlset

Mar 4, 2017
SF Bay Area
Out today and stopped at the Morgan Hill SC. As we were leaving, noticed car carrier across the field from Target in the development on that opposite side. Looked like Teslas so checked it out before heading home. Sure enough they were. 4 Model 3s and 3 Model Ss. The MSs (2 performance) were left hand drive, but it appeared all the Model 3 were right hand drive.

4771E48B-CFEF-4199-ADA1-63906C715195.jpeg

0511ACE8-5A70-4FB9-A783-0DB941A3BF54.jpeg

70B9CA5F-F745-4D6C-97EB-AAE0C81328E4.jpeg

10969F2E-D7EA-4597-9883-230FA056C602.jpeg

What's clear based on your photos and others that they are still producing export model 3s. If about half of sales go over seas, as they did last quarter ( 3 bil us, 3 bil export) half of production this quarter will be for export. So then the switch should be half way through the quarter or mid November.

I had read last night a few of the others’ reports on here about seeing carriers with right side drive Model 3s on them so was very curious to see what these would be. Apart from the license plate area you can see on all of them, the close up of the blue Model 3 clearly had the steering wheel visible on the right side.

This supercharger location is just off Hwy 101 and south of Fremont. Speculating that it was heading south for some MS deliveries and then maybe to a port near LA area for Pacific transport for the Model 3s.

One of these days hope to see a Tesla semi transporting the cars.

Last edited:
This supercharger location is just off Hwy 101 and south of Fremont. Speculating that it was heading south for some MS deliveries and then maybe to a port near LA area for Pacific transport for the Model 3s.

One of these days hope to see a Tesla semi transporting the cars.

Tesla uses Pier 80 in SF for Asian exports.

Tesla Ships Thousands of Model 3s to China to Prepare for End of Trade-War Truce

“In recent days, a steady stream of trucks hauling Tesla models has arrived at the gates of Pier 80 in San Francisco, where workers can be seen unloading them into a parking lot packed with thousands of cars. The vehicles then are loaded onto ships for the roughly two-week journey to Asia.”

Tesla Ships Thousands of Model 3s to China to Prepare for End of Trade-War Truce

“In recent days, a steady stream of trucks hauling Tesla models has arrived at the gates of Pier 80 in San Francisco, where workers can be seen unloading them into a parking lot packed with thousands of cars. The vehicles then are loaded onto ships for the roughly two-week journey to Asia.”

I'm think right hand drive to Australia (not sure about New Zealand), not China however. Model 3 deliveries started in those countries this past month. That article BTW was from back in February and those cars were already delivered by end of Q1.

No way would Tesla load China-bound Model 3s on a carrier and go south to Morgan Hill (past San Jose) and then reverse course and head north to San Francisco. Out of the way, waste of fuel and time. That's why I think these would be going out of a southern California port.

Last edited:
Possibly. But look at those photos, it looks like some have USA plates. Even in the front of the car, which is kind of surprising.

The Model Ss are left hand drive and the rear plate size is NA likely as I mentioned. Reread my posts again.

The Model 3's plate area in the front and rear looks nothing like my car's; and I got close to the blue Model 3 on the lower level which was backed in, so driver side was facing me on the street, and the steering wheel was on the right. All of the Model 3's rear and front plate areas look the same.

You should be able to click and enlarge the photos for a closer look.

The Model Ss are left hand drive and the rear plate size is NA likely as I mentioned. Reread my posts again.

The Model 3's plate area in the front and rear looks nothing like my car's; and I got close to the blue Model 3 on the lower level which was backed in, so driver side was facing me on the street, and the steering wheel was on the right. All of the Model 3's rear and front plate areas look the same.

You should be able to click and enlarge the photos for a closer look.

No need to reread anything as I never misquoted you or debated the makeup of the car carrier. You even quoted me. See the part that says "SOME" have USA plate areas?

I did enlarge the photos, which is where I saw some front/back plate areas that were lacking foreign plates. It's hard to tell on a few due to the plastic wrap.

I'm not really sure what you a getting at here. It's curious that the truck was parked outside a supercharger location and seems to have a mix of foreign/domestic. Let's just say it's a mystery.

No need to reread anything as I never misquoted you or debated the makeup of the car carrier. You even quoted me. See the part that says "SOME" have USA plate areas?

I did enlarge the photos, which is where I saw some front/back plate areas that were lacking foreign plates. It's hard to tell on a few due to the plastic wrap.

I'm not really sure what you a getting at here. It's curious that the truck was parked outside a supercharger location and seems to have a mix of foreign/domestic. Let's just say it's a mystery.

I guess not understanding what Pier 80 in San Francisco would have anything to do with the Teslas on the carrier so don't understand why you would bring it up?? and the article you mentioned was 9 months old.

As to the truck's cargo, other threads in the production/delivery section of the forum have speculated on when Tesla will be restarting production of Model 3 cars for North America. Sorry you don't get the intent of the thread and photos, others do.

I guess not understanding what Pier 80 in San Francisco would have anything to do with the Teslas on the carrier so don't understand why you would bring it up?? and the article you mentioned was 9 months old.

As to the truck's cargo, other threads in the production/delivery section of the forum have speculated on when Tesla will be restarting production of Model 3 cars for North America. Sorry you don't get the intent of the thread and photos, others do.

Good grief. It was you who said the cars might be headed to the LA area for shipment.

There isn't a single thing that's unclear about your post. You should really stop with this condescending nonsense. You're arguing with yourself.

The article is nine months old? So you have updated info? Why bring it up again if it's not (as you posted) relevant to your post?

I can only speak of my communication from Tesla to confirm that NA production will be starting this week (if it hasn't already!).

My SR+ has a "soft build date" for Thursday November 14th.
Another poster waiting on the same config states hers will be built on the 11th/12th (IIRC).
I ordered in a showroom and was assigned a Service Advisor who has the ability to look in the system to see projected build times.
I am assuming they all do, or possibly those who don't have SA's ordered online and don't have this luxury???
I also assume CA will be some of the LAST to get assigned VINs (regardless of order date) simply due to their close proximity to the factory. It seems to be the delivery via slow train that affects the whole process, not the actual production of vehicles.

Anyway - I'm in Florida and have been told that the projected travel itinerary includes completed cars targeted for the Southeast being loaded on a train for approximately 5 days (+/-) with a destination of Birmingham, AL where they will then be loaded onto trucks (like you see in this thread) for dispersement to varying delivery centers. The trucks should arrive at their destinations within a few days with another 24 hours held at a delivery center (for detailing, etc). After that, we should be getting the key(cards). My projected delivery date is November 21-23.

I work Monday - Wednesday (9am to 9pm), so my SA nicely advised me that if the car was early and I could not take delivery within 24 hours of it being available for pick-up, then my VIN would be reassigned and I would have to await a new one. I may come down with something and have to miss work if that happens. :rolleyes:

I work Monday - Wednesday (9am to 9pm), so my SA nicely advised me that if the car was early and I could not take delivery within 24 hours of it being available for pick-up, then my VIN would be reassigned and I would have to await a new one. I may come down with something and have to miss work if that happens. :rolleyes:

They'll only hold it for 24 hours? I hope that isn't right. I thought they'd hold it for a week or does this vary from delivery location to location? Regardless 24 hours is a bit extreme of a window to expect people to drop everything and get their car.

Sounds like that nasty T-Virus that's been going around. I think I may have a case of this as well..... (In the future)

They'll only hold it for 24 hours? I hope that isn't right. I thought they'd hold it for a week or does this vary from delivery location to location? Regardless 24 hours is a bit extreme of a window to expect people to drop everything and get their car.
I can't confirm the exact number of hours, but: I mentioned to my SA that I had "heard" people were being rushed into accepting delivery as soon as their car became available and that Tesla would "give away your car if you couldn't pick it up". He as much said, "Yep. I would get here the next day".
I plan to do just that.

Reactions: George75