Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Say hello to an FSD/AP alternative, Comma Openpilot; OSS vehicle autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What 'potential hurricane that is developing" are you referring to. I left my comma hardware behind when I sold my prius prime so havent followed it much anymore.
Negative cash flow, and recessionary environment with tightening credit. George mentioned in a discord a couple of months ago they are not cash flow positive anymore but are now burning $200K/month.

Negative cash flow, and recessionary environment with tightening credit. George mentioned in a discord a couple of months ago they are not cash flow positive anymore but are now burning $200K/month.

While I enjoyed the product in my Prius prime, I say good riddance. I kept up with the newest devices, then mine died at 14 months with their amazing 12 month warranty and they wanted $500 to replace a $50 phone. They sold the comma 2 as 1.0 hardware but when I left the project several months were discussing on focusing on end to end and not focusing on making firmware optimal for the comma 2.

What are the main benefits for having an AP1 Model S and OpenPolit together? Do they work independently or seamlessly together?
Why spend the money on Comma AI if you already have AP1?
Very interested in this
With my adapter and OpenPilot branch the two systems fully coexist. You can enable either OpenPilot or AP1 at any point. As for benefits of OP vs AP1:
- OP works on any roads, even unmarked
- OP does not drive into trees or veers you off the road when driving over a hill and can’t see the road ahead.
- OP has smoother longitudinal control (speed ) with no phantom braking
- OP does not require you to touch the steering wheel, it just monitors your eyes that you pay attention to the road (though the nag on AP1 can be removed :) )
- OP continues to improve and will soon have drive on maps

I hope they make it also, just for competition sake. For me personally, I will never trust an add-on open-source solution for self-driving, but maybe I am just in a minority.
I have over 90k miles driven on OpenPilot and maybe less then 5k on AutoPilot. And those 5k I was forced to use AP because I was making changes to the OP code :) Anyway, in the community that uses my code we drive over 10k miles a day and new users are coming every day. And the driving models are used by all the Comma users.

Reactions: BQst
With my adapter and OpenPilot branch the two systems fully coexist. You can enable either OpenPilot or AP1 at any point. As for benefits of OP vs AP1:
- OP does not drive into trees or veers you off the road when driving over a hill and can’t see the road ahead.
- OP does not require you to touch the steering wheel, it just monitors your eyes that you pay attention to the road (though the nag on AP1 can be removed :) )

I've been a huge fan of AP1, but that sounds even better!

Ben

PS. Ordered a couple days ago. :)

I know the OP code isn't available for the Model 3 yet, but is there a definitive list of components one can purchase in advance of it's release? I know the Comma Three is needed, but it's not clear what else is needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: btownalset
I read boggyver's message the same way, and the link he provided for the OBD-C adapter supports that reading was well: "The small yet powerful and complete adapter to make OpenPilot work on your Tesla (S3XY) equipped with AP2+ is here."

Btw, to follow up on my original post after getting a couple weeks of openpilot under my belt, it's everything he said. It doesn't need lane lines, doesn't required steering wheel nudges every X minutes, and doesn't limit speeds to +5. It's wonderful and far exceeds AP1's abilities. Highly recommended!

Ben

I had no idea that M3's steering could be controlled via CAN, or is there some other way?
Last time I checked the code and discussion, they had some limited support for AP1 vehicles.
AP3 steers M3 via CAN messages. We already have full support for preAP, AP1, AP2+ on the pre 2021 MS/MX and soon M3/Y/Post2021 MX/MS (which now all use a similar set of CAN messages).