Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Say hello to an FSD/AP alternative, Comma Openpilot; OSS vehicle autonomy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Greetings,

I've been around the comma community since 2019 or so. I was a contributor for a few years and decided to pick up a Model 3 as Toyota is starting to lock down CAN, anyway. I'm not very impressed by AP's performance and while single stack in the future may improve the 95% use case, lane keep and highway; I'm already tired of the FSD/Safety score garbage and I've only owned the car for a month.

Here is OP running on a pre-AP Tesla Model S:

Openpilot will work with HW3, there's a few members running it and I have the connectors, hardware coming to build my own harness for OP in HW3 Teslas.

The RetroPilot community is also working on community hardware, including getting openpilot working on Pixel 3 and other common android devices. End to end longitudinal and Navigate on Openpilot are things coming soon.

I believe I may be able to get good traffic light stop and go working (without an FSD sub), and at the least, we'll have excellent lateral (steering) control that doesn't require lane lines and can be used on unmarked, country roads. Phantom braking will also not be a thing anymore as Openpilot never had those issues, at least since 2019 when I joined.

I'll be maintaining this thread as a work log, it's going to be a month before the connectors and such come in from China, but I hope to share my work for fun, and draw some good comparisons of OP vs AP! I'm also excited to have an FSD alternative, just in case AP gets crippled from regulation or FSD crashes and burns.

Also, OP uses a camera with face detection for Driver Monitoring, no more wheel nag as OP knows when you are paying attention; something Tesla should have done a long time ago.

What you will need:
A comma three device as it can support multiple panda devices
A Panda Black with two harnesses/relays
Custom harness cables (neo/Tesla_AP2+_Harness.sch.pdf at master · commaai/neo)
2x long USB-C cables
Willingness to work in Python/C++ for tuning and implementation

The software is nearly written for controls on Tesla, (openpilot/interface.py at master · commaai/openpilot) just needs some polishing, which I'll work on as hardware comes in.

There's some really cool CAN signals available on the CAN bus, should open a whole lot of awesome functionality:

Openpilot Works really well on a non-Tesla that I have using a Comma-2, but limitations on that car doesn't allow for control under 35MPH so only appropriate for highway driving without stop-n-go traffic.

We are a step closer!

We released our open source relay hardware here:

I also know of a community member who works with Tesla vehicles who is designing a specific HW2/3 relay to reduce hardware and cabling. It's not my news to share, yet, so I'm intentionally being vague.

Open source CAN device is close to release, design is drafted, boards are ordered, and the RetroPilot community is making sure the design is solid before releasing files and offering boards for sale. Initial, non-cost optimized quote from the PCB fab house is $130 no GPS/$160~ GPS.

Pixel 3 and OnePlus 6t is also being worked on, right now we are working on a fork of LineageOS to run openpilot. Approaching it this way should support more phone models.

The upstream code for Tesla HW1/2/3 is already done, comma just never flipped the switch, so to say, as Tesla doesn't "fit" into their torque blending safety model. The parts for me to install OP will finally be here this month, then I'm just waiting for Pixel 3 support as I refuse to buy hardware from comma.

We are a step closer!

We released our open source relay hardware here:

I also know of a community member who works with Tesla vehicles who is designing a specific HW2/3 relay to reduce hardware and cabling. It's not my news to share, yet, so I'm intentionally being vague.

Open source CAN device is close to release, design is drafted, boards are ordered, and the RetroPilot community is making sure the design is solid before releasing files and offering boards for sale. Initial, non-cost optimized quote from the PCB fab house is $130 no GPS/$160~ GPS.

Pixel 3 and OnePlus 6t is also being worked on, right now we are working on a fork of LineageOS to run openpilot. Approaching it this way should support more phone models.

The upstream code for Tesla HW1/2/3 is already done, comma just never flipped the switch, so to say, as Tesla doesn't "fit" into their torque blending safety model. The parts for me to install OP will finally be here this month, then I'm just waiting for Pixel 3 support as I refuse to buy hardware from comma.
Any update on the progress?

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have resources/parts for a PreAP model s? Looking at minimum for auto braking and steering. Looking to purchase and install as soon as possible
Hi Highxtech,
You can have a look at Tinkla’s website.
They seems to offer a really straightforward solution to run OpenPilot on a Tesla.

Have a good day,
Nico.

Reactions: Ramp1999
This is how easy it is to install OpenPilot now on your AP1 equipped Tesla Model S. AP2+ experience is similar. Using the plug and play adapters I have designed and manufactured you can install OpenPilot in less than an hour for a better solution that works on unmarked roads, small roads, windy roads, etc.

• Informative
Reactions: Dewg
This is how easy it is to install OpenPilot now on your AP1 equipped Tesla Model S. AP2+ experience is similar. Using the plug and play adapters I have designed and manufactured you can install OpenPilot in less than an hour for a better solution that works on unmarked roads, small roads, windy roads, etc.

What are the main benefits for having an AP1 Model S and OpenPolit together? Do they work independently or seamlessly together?
Why spend the money on Comma AI if you already have AP1?
Very interested in this

What are the main benefits for having an AP1 Model S and OpenPolit together? Do they work independently or seamlessly together?
Why spend the money on Comma AI if you already have AP1?
Very interested in this
In my experience with comma in my prius prime (prior to my m3p), openpilot doesn't require steering wheel nag, doesn't have the phantom breaking issues. Biggest downfall when I had it was it taking up space on the windshield creating a blind spot, commas trash warranty, and ever moving goal posts.