TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Say no to Saudi Arabia

Discussion in 'Tesla, Inc.' started by notacoalminer, Aug 13, 2018.

1. notacoalminer

notacoalminer Member

I've been heavily invested in Elon for years. Financially too, but what I mean here is emotionally. Tesla and other ventures, The whole mission. It's been the one bright spot in this otherwise pretty dismal world. It's been my main passion. I'm to take delivery soon, finally, and I don't even feel like it any more.

What do we have here? Norway? No, they can't. Page? No, not interested I guess. Buffet? No. Anyone normal and decent? No. We have the Kingdom of Horrors.

Beheadings,. Cutting off hands. Public executions for fun. They even crucified a man several days ago. Beheaded him and crucified him.

Death penalty to those who try to leave Islam. Lashings for women who were raped.

9/11.

It's an evil country.

I feel like the sun has gone out.

• Like x 14
    • Disagree x 8
    • Love x 4
  2. BobbyKings

BobbyKings Silver

All credits go to the shorts.

• Like x 4
    • Funny x 2
  3. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

OP, then tell Tesla that you'd like them to stay as a publicly traded company (e.g. using [email protected] and [email protected]).

Another option might be to convert all public shares to private shares, with each investor being asked first. I'm not sure if that's been done before though. A new structure would probably need to be set up by Tesla so new investors can buy private-class shares as well.

4. Darren Donovan

Money talks! Since no other countries with "western" ideals offered Elon the $, Saudi Arabia stepped up. So Elon can either stay public or take Saudi's offer. I'm pretty sure that Elon doesn't like the Saudis' execution of that guy, or the way they treat women, but, money talks.

• Like x 3
  5. Electric700

Electric700 Active Member

Yes, may be it would be better financially as well to stay public, even considering the short sellers. I think funding rounds are easier, just issue new public shares.

6. notacoalminer

notacoalminer Member

Thanks, just emailed Tesla. I posted this thread to have a public voice about this.

And to find people commiserate with, because I am in a state akin to mourning.

• Disagree x 2
  7. Adm

Adm Active Member

The USA has done its share of very questionable things in the past decades. I think Matthew (7:3-5) has some very wise words to describe this matter.

• Like x 3
    • Disagree x 3
    • Informative x 1
  8. notacoalminer

notacoalminer Member

Sorry, I have no idea what Matthew said. I'm Jewish and haven't read the New Testament.

I think we need some moral clarity here. A line in the sand. Right and wrong. No fuzzinness.

• Like x 4
    • Disagree x 4
    • Funny x 1
  9. Adm

Adm Active Member

I am not a christian, but I've read the bible just the same. Bad excuse!

10. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

Why does everything have to be about religion and race. We’re all human, the same race, there is only one race.

Sure I hate their position on woman and almost everything but they understand that oil is dead and trying to diversify their portfolio and if doing that excelerates the move to EVs then so be it.

Life isn’t perfect and full of compromises but I’m sure Elon will stay true to the mission.

My MX “when I get it” is still the same it was last month or next month regardless of who’s funding Tesla.

I mean they already own 5% stake and if most investors keep with Tesla and go private then they won’t need to take as much from them, if everyone agrees and they keep all shares private “no one crashes out” then they wouldn’t need any money to do it.

• Like x 7
    • Helpful x 1
    • Disagree x 1
  11. notacoalminer

notacoalminer Member

It's not about religion. If you'd tell me that Egypt was the funder, I'd be: "oh, interesting". Don't see any major problem with that. Though it would be better to keep it in the West, where we have democracies, no?

• Disagree x 2
    • Like x 1
  12. notacoalminer

notacoalminer Member

You don't compromise with a country that beheads people and crucifies them. It's appalling that I have to explain this.

• Like x 8
    • Disagree x 3
  13. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

I don’t want to get into an argument but if it’s not about religion why bother saying your Jewish.

Why weight does that have on the discussion.

As I say I don’t want to take the discussion off topic or start an argument but the discussion is agnostic of religion to the point what religion we are is irrelevant.

• Like x 2
  14. jelloslug

jelloslug Active Member

I suggest that you don't look into the US prison and justice system then.

• Like x 6
    • Disagree x 3
    • Love x 2
    • Informative x 1
  15. Fellsteruk

Fellsteruk Member

Thanks for explaining that. I’m clearly enlightened now.

16. Graphene

Graphene Member

I agree with this. At the end of the day becoming private will be a better thing for the company, too many investors are too hung up on quarterly results rather than seeing the bigger picture. You don't see other companies such as Ford receiving 500,000 pre-orders for the next Ford Focus. It's obvious that the Saudis will have to diversify their wealth away from oil anyway, It'd be dumb for them to try and steer Tesla from what they're already doing, it's obviously working!

(also good to see someone from the NW on here ;))

17. notacoalminer

notacoalminer Member

I said that in reply to someone who was quoting the New Testament. I was explaining that I haven't read it, and why. Thanks.

• Like x 2
  18. Ludalicious

Ludalicious Member

LOL Really... Let's take a little closer look at the stats. Because based on the stats the U.S. could learn a few things. Not saying I agree with what happens over there. SUADI.png

• Informative x 8
    • Like x 3
    • Love x 1
  19. Krugerrand

Krugerrand Well-Known Member

The World and its People have always been fuzzy. Very fuzzy.

20. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

#20 commasign, Aug 13, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
    1. Don’t make the racist mistake of lumping all Saudi Arabians, their government, and their businesses together. That’s like saying foreign companies shouldn’t do business in the USA because of the current administration and policies.
    2. Any business/investment dealings between Tesla and Saudi Arabia would be a drop in the bucket compared to the overall business/investment dealings between USA/North America/“The West” and Saudia Arabia. Where’s the outrage with that?
    3. What about China? Not the best human rights record there either yet we’re still doing business with them, and using our influence to improve things. Where’s the outrage over Gigafactory 3 in Shanghai?

• Like x 10
    • Love x 4