Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Say no to Saudi Arabia

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Saudis would pay in US dollars and follow us regulations.

I don’t see anything wrong with that unless us regulations are weak and ineffective for which you should blame our government not Saudis.

I'm opposed to the death penalty, FYI.

I could post here links to Saudi 'justice', but it's too abhorrent.

If you can't see the issue, so be it. Luckily we can disagree without one of us being beheaded.

I think I'm going to ask Tesla for a refund of my 3,500 (since I placed an order). If you knew how much I've harped on and on about Tesla and Elon over the years, to an embarrassing degree...

Of course that would leave me driving an ICE forever. None of the other EVs work for me since I need a long range car. So damned either way.

I'm opposed to the death penalty, FYI.

I could post here links to Saudi 'justice', but it's too abhorrent.

If you can't see the issue, so be it. Luckily we can disagree without one of us being beheaded.

I think I'm going to ask Tesla for a refund of my 3,500 (since I placed an order). If you knew how much I've harped on and on about Tesla and Elon over the years, to an embarrassing degree...

Of course that would leave me driving an ICE forever. None of the other EVs work for me since I need a long range car. So damned either way.

It's not a matter of for or against the death penalty. I am sure there many people in Saoudi Arabia who are against the death penalty too. It's about the issue of feeling unjustifiably morally superior to others. Not you as an individual, but the USA as a country vs Saoudi Arabia.

Sorry your feelings are hurt and you got to do what you want to do, but cry me a river... You could have decided to cancel your order when Tesla announced GF3 in China, but you chose not to. A clear case of selective outrage.

Are you for real? Like seriously dude? Parts of America, and certain ppl within America, are f*cked up, no question about it, but are you seriously going to compare any part of justice in America to that of Saudi Arabia? If so I'd urge you to grow up a little and get some perspective.

Are you for real? Like seriously dude? Parts of America, and certain ppl within America, are f*cked up, no question about it, but are you seriously going to compare any part of justice in America to that of Saudi Arabia? If so I'd urge you to grow up a little and get some perspective.

I have perspective and I see a country that has a broken justice system where people of color are systemically at a disadvantage. The prison system is broken because of privatization. The article shows that your government has no isssue with torturing people to death.
The Saoudi government is nuts is some ways and I can't judge the USA is doing so much better. When you look at the statistics posted by somebody else earlier in this thread, the USA would be wise to tone it down a bit when judging other regimes and get their sh#t together themselves. Justice and freedom are worthless unless they are equally valid for everybody in a society.

It is easier to be critical when the perpetrators do not look like "us"...

...In my view the entire thread should be deleted by moderators.

Seriously? You don't know what "we" Iook like, for one.

Second, this is moral relativism gone amok.

I could criticize the Norwegians or other Scandinavians for some things, but I still think they're among the most advanced countries we currently have on this earth.

I could criticize the US or any other for many things, but.

Can we not draw a line in the sand?

Sand.

What does the Elon tribe stand for, if nothing matters and all is equal?

Surely we can stand up for something? For the good things about humanity? For progress, and enlightenment, and moving towards a better future?

Does nothing matter to anyone?

I have perspective and I see a country that has a broken justice system where people of color are systemically at a disadvantage. The prison system is broken because of privatization. The article shows that your government has no isssue with torturing people to death.
The Saoudi government is nuts is some ways and I can't judge the USA is doing so much better. When you look at the statistics posted by somebody else earlier in this thread, the USA would be wise to tone it down a bit when judging other regimes and get their sh#t together themselves. Justice and freedom are worthless unless they are equally valid for everybody in a society.

You're talking degrees that are so far apart it's not worth the debate.

Reactions: notacoalminer
I agree completely with and support the opening post.

Saudi Arabia is toxic to me.
I have not forgotten 9/11 and the leading role Saudis have been playing in the spread of their distorted cult the world over.
While the atrocious abuse meted out to local critics of the rulers and what figures as religion there has continued unabated under the current crown prince.

If Elon Musk and his board need to rely on such funds to take Tesla off the publicly traded market, then they have signally failed.

There's a long list of local perversions, but one might begin here:
World Report 2017: Rights Trends in Saudi Arabia

For what it's worth, the biggest stockholder in Volkswagen is the Qatar Investment Authority. Clearly, the oil money must go somewhere beyond conspicuous waste, but I do not want to spend my money to benefit the current incarnation of Saudi Arabia.

We cannot control, nor can Tesla who buys publicly traded stock. But for Tesla to partner with them and grant them a very large, possibly controlling stake is very troubling.

For the record I am against the gigafactory in China. But one factory is not the same as changing who "owns" the company. If it were the communist Chinese government taking Tesla private I would have major heartburn about it as well.

LOL Really... Let's take a little closer look at the stats. Because based on the stats the U.S. could learn a few things. Not saying I agree with what happens over there. View attachment 325398
Nothing like a totalitarian regime to dampen crime. Getting your hand cut off for shoplifting tends to discourage bad behavior. North Korea also has a very low crime rate. You're suggesting the US learn a few things from dictatorships about how to lower crime?