TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Saying goodbye to one of our Teslas

Discussion in 'Model S' started by AMPd, Jun 13, 2018.

1. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

1A754C00-8D86-4FDA-AEC3-B0B021EC5762.png long story short I let a friend borrow my Model S, he got into a fender bender which resulted in a 4 month repair process.
    3 of those months was just waiting for Tesla to send the parts.

This did not sit well with the wife.

So unfortunately we’re going to trade it in for an ICE where the automaker will be more than happy to sell you any part you want

I love Tesla! I really do! But these long wait times for body repair is a bit ridiculous
    Any reputable shop can do body work, why must we be subjected to inflated prices just because only a few shops are certified to do the work.

Pics of the damage

• Informative x 1
    • Like x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Funny x 1
  2. Skipdd

Skipdd Member

Ouch. Understand your frustration and could imagine how that might play out here. Will be interesting to see if Tesla's stated intent of opening its own body shops drives any change in behavior within the company. Can't run an effective body shop if you can't get parts...

3. smilepak

smilepak Active Member

During the 4 months wait, did you get a loaner or something?

4. pattymac

pattymac Member

The wait for parts seems more like an issue with Tesla's size / maturity as a manufacturer than with being an EV. Perhaps an EV from another company could address your concern.

• Like x 1
  5. navinsiri

navinsiri Member

You decided that the Tesla was the thing that needed to go?

• Funny x 13
  6. ICUDoc

ICUDoc Member

Sorry to hear it, OP.
    Hopefully in a few years Tesla repairs will be quicker and easier- so you can slide into a Roadster2020 when you're ready...

• Funny x 1
  7. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

Unfortunately no ev has the range or the supercharger network that my wife requires

I’m no math major but it’s the cheapest option :)

• Like x 3
    • Funny x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  8. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

I was offered a rental from insurance company, but I declined since we have another model s and my wife wasn’t working at the time
    However now that we’re both working we need something more reliable. And I understand there’s always rental cars, but I do not feel so good about paying for a 90k car only to be stuck in a Ford for months
    Or have to pay out of pocket for a more upscale car.

• Informative x 1
  9. buttershrimp

buttershrimp Click my signature to Go Mad Max Mode

Too tempting..... Must.... make ..... joke..... can't resist...... Breathe Buttershrimp, Breathe. Let it go. OK, you are good.... no need to make arggggghhhhhhh I can't stop! Ahem!

Someone's wife took Tesla's increased nag interval too literally!

Ahhhhh, so gratifying.... my apologies to the Mrs.

On a serious note, I believe your friend that borrowed the Tesla owes you a horrible debt.

If he doesn't pay for the repair in full regardless of inflation, I highly suggest you have him murdered. I know a guy that goes by the name of @AnxietyRanger who likely deals in these matters.

I mean, this so called "friend" caused you to have to sell your Tesla and by an ICE! Does he have any clue what he's done? I mean your TMC name is @AMPd ?!!!!?!

This Thread is more painful for me to see than a Mr. Bean movie where you know he's about to do something horribly embarrassing. Can't watch.

• Funny x 3
    • Helpful x 1
  10. Sir Guacamolaf

Sir Guacamolaf The good kind of fat

Dumb Q - that damage is so minor the car still looks drivable. Can you not drive it while you wait for the parts?

• Like x 3
  11. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

I don't see too much damage. Was the car not drivable or safe to drive?

[​IMG]

12. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

The hood wouldn’t latch.

• Informative x 1
  13. eye.surgeon

eye.surgeon Active Member

I don't blame you. This issue is a major reason why I haven't ordered my model 3, I've been very happy with my MS but I'm very reluctant to invest any more in the Tesla universe when there is a known and seemingly never-improving dearth of support for accidents and repairs.

• Like x 5
  14. NeverFollow

NeverFollow Member

#14 NeverFollow, Jun 14, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2018
    I imagine that you didn't know in advance that you will have to wait for three month just to get a new hood (bonnet, frunk...)
    but may be you could have get an estimate from a body shop certified by Ford to deal with aluminium to fix the bent?

Ford Bet on Aluminum Trucks, but Is Still Looking for Payoff
    Did Ford's CEO Get Fired Because Of Aluminum F-150 Pickup Truck?

I don't think you will buy a F-150! How A Ford F-150 Aluminum Repair Cost $ 17,000 And Took A Month
    Note: It was a major job, as the full roof had to be replaced, and the shop had to spend a lot of money just to buy some rivets...

Or a CT6: The Cadillac CT6 is Irreparable in 25 States…

Or either a Mustang or a Corvette Z06: Piston Slap: Peeling Ponies and Contaminated Aluminum Hoods

• Disagree x 2
  15. CuriousG

CuriousG Active Member

Tell the repair shop to bend it so that it will close. The hood will need to be replaced anyway. I drove mine for over a month while waiting for a bumper. I learned my lesson when I had to wait for a door on another incident.

• Informative x 2
  16. AMPd

AMPd Active Member

How long did it take for the bumper to arrive? Mine was also replaced

17. Brass Guy

Brass Guy Member

If the latch is still functional, I'd just roll it out a bit myself. I've helped a few dented instruments with a drumstick. Obviously you'd need something heavier for that lid, especially since it's folded over (2x as thick) at the edge. But worth a try to be able to drive it.

• Like x 1
  18. jeffro01

jeffro01 Active Member

Some people can't see the forest through the trees...

Everyone gets to make their own choices but, IMHO, and I stress in MY humble opinion, this is silly... Dump Tesla all together simply because a repair took a bit longer than it should have?

Clearly Tesla needs to improve this process substantially, I'm not discounting that but some of the reactions that I see from people are disappointing and overly short sighted... It's as if people act like ICE cars don't ever have ridiculous repair timelines and this problem is 100% exclusive to Tesla...

Jeff

19. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Well-Known Member

You got me wrong, I only deal in counter-intelligence, terrorism, revenge and extortion. That, and white cats.

• Funny x 4
  20. Duffer

Duffer TSLA Long

I'm in the "make it drivable while waiting for parts" camp. You've already documented the damage and the repair (new hood) is already planned for so "adjusting" the hood so it will latch shouldn't cause an issue. After all your insurance can't suddenly claim that you caused the damage and cancel your claim, correct?