Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Saying goodbye to one of our Teslas

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

AMPd

Nov 27, 2012
Fort Worth, TX
1A754C00-8D86-4FDA-AEC3-B0B021EC5762.png long story short I let a friend borrow my Model S, he got into a fender bender which resulted in a 4 month repair process.
3 of those months was just waiting for Tesla to send the parts.

This did not sit well with the wife.

So unfortunately we’re going to trade it in for an ICE where the automaker will be more than happy to sell you any part you want

I love Tesla! I really do! But these long wait times for body repair is a bit ridiculous
Any reputable shop can do body work, why must we be subjected to inflated prices just because only a few shops are certified to do the work.

Pics of the damage

View attachment 309513 long story short I let a friend borrow my Model S, he got into a fender bender which resulted in a 4 month repair process.
3 of those months was just waiting for Tesla to send the parts.

This did not sit well with the wife.

So unfortunately we’re going to trade it in for an ICE where the automaker will be more than happy to sell you any part you want

I love Tesla! I really do! But these long wait times for body repair is a bit ridiculous
Any reputable shop can do body work, why must we be subjected to inflated prices just because only a few shops are certified to do the work.

Pics of the damage

Ouch. Understand your frustration and could imagine how that might play out here. Will be interesting to see if Tesla's stated intent of opening its own body shops drives any change in behavior within the company. Can't run an effective body shop if you can't get parts...

The wait for parts seems more like an issue with Tesla's size / maturity as a manufacturer than with being an EV. Perhaps an EV from another company could address your concern.
Unfortunately no ev has the range or the supercharger network that my wife requires

You decided that the Tesla was the thing that needed to go?
I’m no math major but it’s the cheapest option :)

During the 4 months wait, did you get a loaner or something?
I was offered a rental from insurance company, but I declined since we have another model s and my wife wasn’t working at the time
However now that we’re both working we need something more reliable. And I understand there’s always rental cars, but I do not feel so good about paying for a 90k car only to be stuck in a Ford for months
Or have to pay out of pocket for a more upscale car.

• Informative
Reactions: smilepak
You decided that the Tesla was the thing that needed to go?

Too tempting..... Must.... make ..... joke..... can't resist...... Breathe Buttershrimp, Breathe. Let it go. OK, you are good.... no need to make arggggghhhhhhh I can't stop! Ahem!

Someone's wife took Tesla's increased nag interval too literally!

Ahhhhh, so gratifying.... my apologies to the Mrs.

On a serious note, I believe your friend that borrowed the Tesla owes you a horrible debt.

If he doesn't pay for the repair in full regardless of inflation, I highly suggest you have him murdered. I know a guy that goes by the name of @AnxietyRanger who likely deals in these matters.

I mean, this so called "friend" caused you to have to sell your Tesla and by an ICE! Does he have any clue what he's done? I mean your TMC name is @AMPd ?!!!!?!

This Thread is more painful for me to see than a Mr. Bean movie where you know he's about to do something horribly embarrassing. Can't watch.

The hood wouldn’t latch.
I imagine that you didn't know in advance that you will have to wait for three month just to get a new hood (bonnet, frunk...)
but may be you could have get an estimate from a body shop certified by Ford to deal with aluminium to fix the bent?

Ford Bet on Aluminum Trucks, but Is Still Looking for Payoff
Did Ford's CEO Get Fired Because Of Aluminum F-150 Pickup Truck?

I don't think you will buy a F-150! How A Ford F-150 Aluminum Repair Cost $ 17,000 And Took A Month
Note: It was a major job, as the full roof had to be replaced, and the shop had to spend a lot of money just to buy some rivets...

Or a CT6: The Cadillac CT6 is Irreparable in 25 States…

Or either a Mustang or a Corvette Z06: Piston Slap: Peeling Ponies and Contaminated Aluminum Hoods

Last edited:
If the latch is still functional, I'd just roll it out a bit myself. I've helped a few dented instruments with a drumstick. Obviously you'd need something heavier for that lid, especially since it's folded over (2x as thick) at the edge. But worth a try to be able to drive it.

Reactions: NeverFollow
Some people can't see the forest through the trees...

Everyone gets to make their own choices but, IMHO, and I stress in MY humble opinion, this is silly... Dump Tesla all together simply because a repair took a bit longer than it should have?

Clearly Tesla needs to improve this process substantially, I'm not discounting that but some of the reactions that I see from people are disappointing and overly short sighted... It's as if people act like ICE cars don't ever have ridiculous repair timelines and this problem is 100% exclusive to Tesla...

Jeff

If he doesn't pay for the repair in full regardless of inflation, I highly suggest you have him murdered. I know a guy that goes by the name of @AnxietyRanger who likely deals in these matters.

You got me wrong, I only deal in counter-intelligence, terrorism, revenge and extortion. That, and white cats.

I'm in the "make it drivable while waiting for parts" camp. You've already documented the damage and the repair (new hood) is already planned for so "adjusting" the hood so it will latch shouldn't cause an issue. After all your insurance can't suddenly claim that you caused the damage and cancel your claim, correct?