Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SB 6272 and HB 2524 to prevent new Tesla stores in Washigton state?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have commented on both bills and have sent e-mails to my representatives as well. Also requested a meeting with the governor on the issue (which I am sure will be denied, but at least in denying it, they hopefully read my comments).

I am trying to get time off from work so my spouse and I can be there tomorrow to show our opposition to the bills.

Section 1 of the bill is the one that says the DOL should not grant new licenses or subagent licenses to manufacturers. Section 7(1)g already existed; that disallows new licenses to any manufacturer - that was passed in 2009 after Tesla got their license, so Tesla has been using subagent licenses. Section 1 is the dealer association trying to stop Tesla's subagent licenses. In fact the original bill said something about being retroactive, but that got changed in committee and the substitute bill on the floor does not that say that.

Section 7(1)l is confusing, and covers a lot of other stuff - but I believe that's the one that says a manufacturer can't tell a dealer to upgrade anything (including service equipment) even as part of a new program (including selling a new vehicle that requires new equipment) unless all dealers do the same thing. Except for health and safety reasons, or if it's been at least 15 years since the dealer started or last made a change. So a dealer could choose to sell a new EVs (or other type of car), but can't be forced to install equipment to service it unless all dealers in the state install equipment to service it. I've asked for some verification that that is really the implication of this section...

I am going to an event tomorrow afternoon and evening. The Governor will be there as well as many State and Federal Legislators. I have one seat left open. If anyone is interested, PM me. It will be in Olympia. I try to get there long before it starts at 5pm. Walk-ups are available too.

I'll PM a link if you are interested.

What the heck. Here's the details. I had the only Tesla there last year. A small showing here would get attention. I wonder if Senator Conway will be there.
Many of the people I wrote to will be there.

I have one extra ticket that someone is pondering taking it and checking their schedule.
Walk up tickets can be purchased. I'm not sure how limited they are in number. The Crab feed is great and you learn a great deal upcoming issues and issue supporters there.

2014 Crab Feed and Grassroots Forum | Washington Democrats

I just sent a message to a Legislative Assistant. Awareness is being raised about the rally.

- - - Updated - - -

What the heck. Here's the details. I had the only Tesla there last year. A small showing here would get attention. I wonder if Senator Conway will be there.
Many of the people I wrote to will be there.

I have one extra ticket that someone is pondering taking it and checking their schedule.
Walk up tickets can be purchased. I'm not sure how limited they are in number. The Crab feed is great and you learn a great deal upcoming issues and issue supporters there.

2014 Crab Feed and Grassroots Forum | Washington Democrats

I just sent a message to a Legislative Assistant. Awareness is being raised about the rally.

I have one free crab dinner up for grabs. Just PM me so I can get your name on my guest list.
Another member's schedule was too tight and couldn't make it.

Not able to go but thought I would pass on a response from one of my Reps. They said they were opposed to the bill. I had offered them a ride in my Model S but they replied "I would love to take you up on your offer but will be taking a drive in one next week in Olympia. My son wants me to get rid of my beloved 2001 Outback and buy a Tesla." Even if they don't don't buy the car, the fact that they are considering it is a win.

Score one for the home team.

Great turnout today. Looked to be 40 to 50 people and about 20 cars. Talked to the office staff for my Senator (Pam Roach) and two Reps (Chris Hurst & Dahlquist) for District 31. The assistant for Senator Roach actually wrote it all down and hurried over to the chamber to give it to her. The staff for the Reps were not as interested and didn't even take notes.

Seemed like a good day. Went to the first Rep's office where the assistant was extremely helpful and taught us how to get the Rep to step outside of the caucus room for a quick conversation. She did (my neighbor with me was a previous coworker of hers) and she seemed quite interested. So we tried it again with the 2nd Rep and he too came outside the caucus room to talk. He is quite positive for EV's (has a Leaf and loves it) so we set up for a viewing and a ride in my "S" when he can find the time. The third time was not however the charm. Our Senator didn't step out after 45 minutes of waiting so we went to his office and talked with his assistant who did take lot's of notes and was going to go meet with him about 11AM. Also offered a familiarization viewing and ride for him. Much more face time with the Rep's and assistant that I had expected. I am feeling hopeful! I thought the Tesla folks were quite sharp and worked the rally hard as well as the other owners. Hope to see the TV news tonight for the taped interviews.

A good day in Olympia for Tesla support. Hopefully this will translate to good results.

I arrived late, because I had some work meetings I had to finish first. When I arrived at about 11:30 I think even more Tesla vehicles had arrived. I would guess there were 25-30 Tesla Roadsters and Model S cars.

I went to visit the offices of my district 45 representatives (Roger Goodman and Larry Springer) and senator Andy Hill. Talked to two legislative assistants and left literature (my own write up and the one from Tesla with all three). After a quick lunch we also tried the "send a message into the chamber and see if they will come out and talk tactic". My senator Andy Hill came out and we spent about 10 minutes talking. He supported the car dealers attempt to protect them selves from their manufacturers but he was not supportive of this having a negative effect on Tesla or EVs. He said he had been trying to talk to the dealers chief lobbyist to try and get a bill that he liked.

Because of the Tesla jacket I was wearing I got stopped by a bunch of people asking questions about Tesla. Most started with: "There are more Teslas here then I have ever seen, why?" So it was good to see that just the display of Teslas alone caught peoples eyes. Most of the people I chatted with were lobbyists (we are all waiting at the chamber doors) but I had a chance to talk with Chad Magendanz (rep. from District 5) as well. He was supportive of Tesla and actually owns 2 electric motorcycles.

Overall, my impression was that if there was a single bill that was trying to keep Tesla out of the state it would be easily defeated. But as a (relatively) obscure clause in a bill that otherwise seems popular EVs are still at risk. For example, Senator Hill was aware that the bill targeted direct sales of EVs, but he did not know about Section 7(1), the one that says a manufacturer can't tell a dealer to upgrade anything (including service equipment) which could impact EV sales. So I had a chance to chat with him about that.

As I said, a good day I think, but we will not know until we see the votes.

teslaOlympia1.jpg
teslaOlympia2.JPG

Attachments

• teslaOlympia1.jpg
    teslaOlympia1.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 238
Sen. Mike Hewitt Introduces law that would keep Tesla from opening more showrooms.

Yet another example of Congressman introducing bills for the sole reason of keeping the campaign contributions flowing. If you are into social media Please express your displeasure at Sen. Mike Hewitt to see if we can make these guys worry about getting reelected as that is the only thing they love more than money (that they spend to get reelected.

For more info his website is found here Senator Mike Hewitt - 16th Legislative District - Walla Walla, Washington

To send him an email to encourage him to pull his support for his bill please contact him here [email protected]

If we all get involved in this maybe we can discourage him and other lawmakers from caring more about campaign contributions from dealerships instead of what is good for their constituents

Here is the article that I found out about this issue at Tesla protests bills that would limit expansion - Yahoo Finance

"Language in House Bill 2524 and its companion, Senate Bill 6272, says the Department of Licensing would no longer be able to issue additional facility licenses to Tesla because of its status as a vehicle manufacturer and not as a dealer. The company sells cars directly from the manufacturer to the consumer."

I think it was a good day as well and I was surprised by the turnout given the short notice. I left messages for both the representatives for my district as well as an email. I wasn't able to wait around for them to come out as I did for about twenty minutes but I had another obligation in the he afternoon to get to. I did hear from chad magendaz (not sure on the spelling) his aid said he is well aware of the bills and is not in support of either of them and Jayne Rodney's aide said that they haven't early talked about it but that several people and she held up a stack of notes had already stopped by. So that's fantastic.

I just watched the the news also good for our cause here which I was surprised to see the 3 major news crews there and have it be on 5 o'clock news then. Get a call from my mom that my car was shown at the very end on channel 5 pulling away. My daughter is in the he jump seat in the back. Lol.

ahh ok bonnie and dhrivnak thank you. Where can you go to comment on the bill . I really feel like this is not a regional issue even if thats where this conversation started. I think this should get nationwide attention. Virtually 0 percent of voters agree with these restrictive bills. I really hope this guy comes to his senses.

- - - Updated - - -

Found where to comment on bill and voiced my opposition. I hope they realize how ridiculous this bill is.

My wife Kathy and I spent about two hours in Oly today, talking with several Reps we knew and tried to get to our district reps. Those we talked with told us they were going to support Tesla. I got the sense this bill was a bit low on the priority list. It was not on the morning schedule, so hopefully it doesn't make the cut today??

i also had a chance to speak with Senator Tim Shelton's aid at length. He was not aware of the issue and took very detailed notes. I asked him if he felt Tim would support our position and he was non committal.

I have seen the story now twice on the local news so the lobbyists have done well to get coverage.

Very fun to meet other owners and be a Tesla evangelist is another way.

Rob McKenna was there is support as well.

The local NBC station did a piece on it and specifically cited Texas as actually haven't a stricter law that Washington state. It was an overall positive piece that made the dealers look bad. Their spokesperson sent in a written statement when asked

Will this bill preclude Tesla from expanding?

Is that intentional?

I'm not going to comment any further

- - - Updated - - -

I love how Representative Kirby said language is being worked on to help Tesla conform to become a more established automaker.

http://www.king5.com/news/business/Tesla-protests-bills-that-would-limit-expansion-245883421.html