Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

SB 6586 - Do NOT let this happen!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Fawkem....my next vehicle:

article-2017721-0D1DEF0400000578-763_308x185.jpg

Anyone have an odometer rollback hack?

This law is heavily flawed in terms of rate and pushes away from basically all EVs and most hybrids.

The state has no infrastructure for how this is reported or paid. Am I to go to the DMV every year and have my odometer read? Do I only pay tax on miles driven in Washington or is Washington going to tax apply an interstate tax? I mostly drive in Oregon where I already enjoy a lovely income tax that pays for services that I can not use and do not have access to. Now I will pay road maintenance in Washington for roads I don't drive on at a higher rate than a Hummer towing a 12000 lbs trailer.

Reactions: whitex
They must think that EV owners can afford the extra tax....in fact...most probably can.

When a Washington State Rep tried to introduce a bill last year that tried a large increase on the EV fee he actually had the nerve to say that it was OK because EV owners could afford it.

Either it's a public good, or it's a fee. Either way, road fees for EV drivers shouldn't be different to those for gasoline vehicles.

I assume that dumb legislation like this is either an expected failure designed purely for political image, or it's a negotiating tactic to make the actual cost look like a reduction.

Reactions: oldtrip