Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Wiki SC amenities

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think a wiki should be built by people posting the amenities available near the Super Charger stations. Things to do, places to dine, shop or just a nice walk, are there any hotels nearby? are they 1-2-3-4 stars? how about lighting and security?
While most of us cannot visit many of the SCs we can build a library of the ones we have visited.
I'll start with the SC in St Augustine FLA. which really isn't all that close to the town. This SC is located off exit 318 of I 95 which is FLA route 16. travel a short distance west of the exit ramp and there will be an entrance to the outlet mall, the SC can be found in the parking lot of the mall. St. Augustine Premium Outlets

while charging the shops would provide plenty of things to walk around and look at, the restaurant offerings are not all that great, within the mall and outside you'll find the usual fast food places. there is a BBQ place and a cracker barrel close by. as for hotels the ones close by the mall are nothing all that special, 5 miles north is the World Golf Village with some more upscale places to stay World Golf Village Accommodations
and of course if you travel about 7 miles east you'll be in the first european settled city in the US, St. Augustine, Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, which is certainly worth spending some time visiting. you'll find some historical sites, many many places to eat and a pedestrian only street lined with all sorts of shops.
The super charger site is fairly safe during business hours and very desolate in off/night time hours, that said you more than likely will not encounter any bad guys there but nothing can be certain in the times we live in.
I hope that I've given you some insight as to what you'll find when you visit the St Augustine super charger, happy trails to you....

---
McKemie:
The Columbus Texas SuperCharger has three good dining opportunities:
1) A very popular Mexican restaurant is immediately adjacent
2) A McDonalds (24 hours?) is a few hundred feet away. Wifi there.
3) A steak house is across the highway
The SuperCharger is hosted by a hotel.

Both Bellmead and Corsicana SuperChargers are hosted by Collin Street Bakeries. CSB offers coffee, pastries, all sorts of baked goods including their signature fruit cakes, sandwiches, and soups. And restrooms. Unfortunately, they close at 8pm (open at 7am?).

The Huntsville Texas SuperCharger is hosted by a hotel. I think near a mall. I was there only for the ribbon cutting and the weather was bad.

The San Marcos SuperCharger is hosted by an outlet mall and very conveniently positioned about a hundred yards from the food court. Not 24 hours. Wifi at food court but does not reach the SuperCharger.

The Normal Illinois SuperCharger is perhaps the best situated I have encountered. Protected from the weather in a parking garage. The garage is part of an integrated transit terminal. Amtrak, local bus, cross country bus. Hotel across the street. An elevator ride from 24 hour restrooms. A not 24 hour Subway in the building. Very nice heated waiting area with wifi and power outlets. The down side is that you have to negotiate urban traffic. Parking is free if you are in the garage an hour or less.

The Rockford Illinois and Madison Wisconsin SuperChargers are similar. A fairly long walk to shopping malls.

Mauston Wisconsin SuperCharger is hosted by a Culvers hamburger joint. Very good. I didn't check their hours.
---

I've created a more specific wiki page [wiki]St Augustine FL Supercharger Amenities[/wiki], edited the text and linked to it from the [wiki]North American Tesla Supercharger locations[/wiki] wiki.

Maybe this can be edited to become a template for other pages, or maybe it'd just be up to the editors. :)

I've created a more specific wiki page [wiki]St Augustine FL Supercharger Amenities[/wiki], edited the text and linked to it from the [wiki]North American Tesla Supercharger locations[/wiki] wiki.

Maybe this can be edited to become a template for other pages, or maybe it'd just be up to the editors. :)
it looks like my submission is gone from here. please RESTORE it!

This is a good idea. I have been working along this same thought but in a different fashion, attempting to herd cats by enticing the small business owners who make up 100% of downtown Wickenburg* to create an attractive flyer that can be placed (somewhere!) at the W'burg SpC (it's going in in the Town Hall parking lot) for just this purpose.

*There are zero businesses in the downtown area that are chains or otherwise owned by outside interests. One of the things that's really neat about my adopted wintering community.

I have seen various other efforts to have group writing on this forum. So far, not much has come to it. So until there is a real consensus and others effort, I'll stick to my blog.

Writing a decent blog post or write up actually takes a fair amount of effort, unlike a small forum response.

I get a surprising number of hits on my blog, so it seems to be quite helpful. I can't say the supercharger stations are high on the list of blog posts. I think because a fair amount of that information is pretty obvious by looking at a map or using other review sites.

I'm actually planning a cross country trip so I'll have more and more reports.

that's all well and good, please consider bringing your reports here in order to build a central source of info on the super charger network

I have seen various other efforts to have group writing on this forum. So far, not much has come to it. So until there is a real consensus and others effort, I'll stick to my blog.

Writing a decent blog post or write up actually takes a fair amount of effort, unlike a small forum response.

I get a surprising number of hits on my blog, so it seems to be quite helpful. I can't say the supercharger stations are high on the list of blog posts. I think because a fair amount of that information is pretty obvious by looking at a map or using other review sites.

I'm actually planning a cross country trip so I'll have more and more reports.
how much effort would it take to hit control C and then post your reports here?

A directory of amenities would be the missing link and a fine addition to the other tools of Tesla Road Trips -- evtripplaner, plugshare and the “Tesla Supercharger Table” in this forum. Do you have a suggested format? We completed a 6000+ mile adventure in a MS85 in August 2014. We have also had several East Coast road trips (DC to Boston) and are planning another to Florida (including St. Augustine). We have visited at least 40 SCs and would be happy to contribute to a directory of amenities. For example, there are full shopping malls at Hagerstown, MD, Mishawaka, IN, Pleasant Prairie, WI, Albany, NY and Hamilton, NJ and of course with lots of options at the tollway plaza at Newark, DE (until 11pm, I as I recall). There is only one place to eat at the SC in Angola, IN -- the Ramada -- and it’s quite good but has limited hours. Very limited choices also at Lusk, WY, La Cross, WI. The hotel right at the Murdo, SD may be the best option for an overnight stay when traveling the northern corridor. The folks are also friendly to those needing a cup of coffee and little wifi time in their nice lobby. And in Mitchell, SD there is a great 24-hour grocery store (with hot food and bathrooms) that was really helpful -- we stopped there driving West and East. A directory would be very helpful in planning which SCs to skip and where to plan to spend mealtimes. We spent too much time waiting for a longer charge at SCs where there was precious little or where everything was closed. We used Tripadvisor, Open Table, etc, but still a directory based on actual experiences of Tesla owners would be invaluable.